Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Keeping in contact with your hunting partner

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby dapper » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 1]

My son and I hunted last year in the wilderness. Early on, more time was spent together as we were combination scouting/hunting since this was the first time in the area. Later into the 13 day hunt we hunted apart, generally different basins as were were camping towards the top of the ridge. Generally we'd show back up at camp mid-day to check on each other, then head out each on his own way for an afternoon/evening hunt. If one would've gottten an elk in the morning he'd leave a note with the co-ordinates on it of where the blood trail begins. That way during the wait before taking up the trail, the time would be used to head to camp, leave the note and take back the large pack. Then help would be on its way at some point. Of course we each carry and have the ability to debone the elk by ourself if we are to far from camp, as well as spent the night away from base camp if need be.
This method kind of tethers you closer to camp since you know your heading back midday.

How do you stay in contact with a hunting partner during your hunt? Always hunt in pairs or seperate and your on your own?

Thanks for any input
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Re: Keeping in contact with your hunting partner

Postby Trophyhill » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 2]

the one time i bowhunted elk with someone else we hunted together a little and met back at camp when hunting apart. i showed up at camp on the 2nd or 3rd day that year just in time to help Steve go back and pack out his elk. it was all downhill.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Swede » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Dapper: We do about the same thing you did, regardless whether we are tree stand hunting or on the ground. Some in our party choose to call hunt, so it is convenient for them if they get something. They know where the tree stand hunters are. It is also very convenient for the tree stand hunters as no call hunter comes back to bother them. :D If we plan to stay out all day, then we make our intentions known before we leave.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Getting older, we have settled into a routine. We hunt til around 11:00am then return to camp for a late breakfast or lunch. Go back out around 3:00 or 4:00pm for evening hunt. We all have our favorite spots to hunt and let each other know where we are headed when we leave camp.. If we are later than normal from our routine, it usually means we have a elk down. Then we have a routine for packing the elk out. We set up camp with toyhauler trailers and satellite dishes. :roll: No more pack horses or spike camps for this old group. We don't kill monster bulls, but do manage to fill a few freezers with all the comforts of home ;)
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Indian Summer » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Sometimes we part company right from camp. Sometimes we cover some ground and then go our separate ways. Either way the last words we usually hear our see you at camp tonight and good luck. There are no mid day stops at camp. If there are they are unplanned and usually nobody else is there.

If we are in the Bitterroot we can usually get a cell signal up high in which case we'll send a few texts with a quick update for the others to receive should they get a signal somewhere during the day.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby BobcatJerry » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Garmin Rino solves it all. Just key the mic and it updates everybody's location right on your screen. Your friends have to have one too, which mine do. It an awesome feature.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby slim9300 » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 7]

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2006498

This should provide you with the answers you are looking for.
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby slim9300 » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Opps. Double post.
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
slim9300

Postby bnsafe » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 9]

i 1000 percent agree with the rino, i bought one last year after my partner did and it was awesome.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Indian Summer » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Main problem I have with the Rino: Getting my partners to spend the money to buy them too. I'd have to buy 4 of them to benefit from it!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby slim9300 » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Indian Summer wrote:Main problem I have with the Rino: Getting my partners to spend the money to buy them too. I'd have to buy 4 of them to benefit from it!

Lol. My partner has one now but that's why having two is so nice.
slim9300

Postby ctdad » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Do all of the different rino models communicate with each other or do you all have to have the same model?
ctdad

Postby slim9300 » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 13]

ctdad wrote:Do all of the different rino models communicate with each other or do you all have to have the same model?

They all communicate with each other.
slim9300

Postby BobcatJerry » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 14]

The Rino's communicate with FRS/GMRS radio, so if you have a regular Walkie Talkie like you may have used with your kids, you can "talk" with someone else, as long as you are on same frequency. You just can't track each other visually on your display. You can also send them way points if they are on the Rino. We will often send each other a way point where to meet, you can send a brief text message and a way point, and it will show up on their display. "Meet here" and we will all converge on that spot for lunch or whatever. Or you can see your buddy and start a course to cross paths or parallel him.

You can set it to vibrate and then send a text, I think you get 12 keys strokes per message.

The Rino's let's you create a contact list, and then you can assign other Rino users an icon, my son in law was a pig's head last year, and you can see their position on the display. Key your mic, and you both update each others position. I periodically just key the mic, to update, I say nothing, If I hear my buddy key the mic, I key it back. It will also show you their track if you do it frequently enough, not just their position.

I heard some guys having concerns with people gathering your way points, but I don't think they can get them unless they are on your frequency and send them to them. They would have to be on your frequency exactly the same time you sent them. Plus within radio range.

The weather channel and weather maps are a nice feature on the newer Rino's. To my surprise they worked really well.

It's an amazing tool.
BobcatJerry

Postby slim9300 » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 15]

BobcatJerry wrote:The Rino's communicate with FRS/GMRS radio, so if you have a regular Walkie Talkie like you may have used with your kids, you can "talk" with someone else, as long as you are on same frequency. You just can't track each other visually on your display. You can also send them way points if they are on the Rino. We will often send each other a way point where to meet, you can send a brief text message and a way point, and it will show up on their display. "Meet here" and we will all converge on that spot for lunch or whatever. Or you can see your buddy and start a course to cross paths or parallel him.

You can set it to vibrate and then send a text, I think you get 12 keys strokes per message.

The Rino's let's you create a contact list, and then you can assign other Rino users an icon, my son in law was a pig's head last year, and you can see their position on the display. Key your mic, and you both update each others position. I periodically just key the mic, to update, I say nothing, If I hear my buddy key the mic, I key it back. It will also show you their track if you do it frequently enough, not just their position.

I heard some guys having concerns with people gathering your way points, but I don't think they can get them unless they are on your frequency and send them to them. They would have to be on your frequency exactly the same time you sent them. Plus within radio range.

The weather channel and weather maps are a nice feature on the newer Rino's. To my surprise they worked really well.

It's an amazing tool.

You have to 'accept' them as a 'friend' for them to see your location or hear your scrambled radio signal. The unit sends a message asking to accept them or not if they are unrecognized.
slim9300

Postby cnelk » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 16]

We all carry radios. Set to a predetermined channel.
If the day presents itself and we split up, We try to check in with each other at the top of the hour starting at 8am.
We sync our watches and the window to talk is only 10 min. If no response from the other, we keep hunting and wait another hour.
This way the radios are not on all the time, and you know you can check in, in case someone has an elk down.

Many times this has proved very efficient as we can either hook up in the woods, or have someone go back to camp and get more packs/gear.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby ctdad » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 17]

which rino model does everyone use?
ctdad

Postby slim9300 » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 18]

ctdad wrote:which rino model does everyone use?

I have the 530hcx mainly because the 5 watt GMRS radio. The radio allows us to talk even when a few miles apart in the mountains. This is the most powerful radio a person can possess without a FCC license but technically you have to have the same license to use it. :) I also have the 130 model but the radio is pretty weak.
slim9300

Postby stickflngr » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I got the 655t and like the fact you can take pics with it and it marks them as way points... :D
stickflngr

Postby BobcatJerry » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 20]

I have the 655t and the 530 hxc. the later one I thought my son in law would buy after I got the new one for a birthday present, but instead he just borrows it. The upgrade is nice for the camera and it can use the birds eyes maps. The screen is smaller than Oregon's and Montana's, so the resolution isn't that great for the Bird eye Maps. There are other user friendly updates too.
BobcatJerry