Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk, Do You Speak It?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk, Do You Speak It?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 1]

All righty then, since we're all frequenting a forum that is made possible by let's be honest, one of the most innovative elk language interpretation cats out there, I pose the question.... do you speak elk? What would you say is your level of both interpreting what elk are saying/asking for and, your ability to throw out realistic sounds to evoke a response in many situational scenarios is?

A. I get it completely.... and, can understand what elk are saying/asking for (needing) and talk to the elk appropriately for the given situation maximizing my potential for success in harvesting a wapiti in almost all situations.

B. Not too shabby. I know the difference between advertising sounds, grunts, chuckles, normal herd sounds, nervous/popping grunts and in most situations, respond accordingly or challenge when up close.

C. I understand the basics but need work on either understanding what elk are saying or how to respond.

D. Need quite a bit of work on both the comprehension of elk language interpretation, and, my own elk sounds .

E. Other... Fill in an option/answer of what RJ didn't include in his late night rambling ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk, Do You Speak It?

Postby Trophyhill » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 2]

C. I think i understand it for the most part during the off season but then while hunting when all hell breaks loose and i hear something i've never heard before i still make mistakes.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby JGH » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 3]

A solid "C". After last year, hearing elk more than ever, I'm starting to climb the steeper part of the learning curve.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby dapper » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I will have to say C as well. But with almost daily practice, the elknut dvds/book and the 124 days before departure that is bound to change.
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Postby cnelk » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Im bilingual.... :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I'd have to say I'm a fairly good solid (B). There is no such thing as an (A)! And anyone that thinks they know it all is only kidding themselves.

Just when you start thinking you know it all, an elk will throw something new or differant at you. The only true (A) is the elk themselves.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 7]

i can make quality elk sounds, but i still struggle with knowing when to make the right one and the right time. putting inflection and feeling and agressive vs passiveness at the right time. but im learning
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 8]

"Elk The 2nd Language" --- (grin)

Understanding what you are hearing is more important than knowing how to make all sounds elk make!

Learn & master 5 sounds. Location Bugle -- Challenge Bugle -- Popping/Nervous Grunt -- Chuckles (not grunts) -- Social/Excited Cow Talk --

With these sounds & variations of them or two together you can "fit in" to any elk encounter from Herd Bull to Satellite bull/bulls.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby montanabrown » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 9]

C but finally getting to that B with another year of practice and being out in the woods
montanabrown

First Name: michael
Last Name: brown-silva

Postby easeup » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 10]

C - also.

I wished I could hear better too.....I think there are many sounds I never hear :cry:
easeup

Postby elkmtngear » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I think I would get a B on the test.

I have been in many serious debates with elk....usually I lose them, but sometimes, they cannot help but concede to my "point" :lol:
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 12]

My team would say I'm and A, but I think I'm an A- or B+. Hey, that's a better grade than I got in most of my college classes. :lol:
JohnFitzgerald

Postby bowhunterty » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Probably a B. And every tear I learn something new,
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby planebow » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I would say that I am a C
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby stringunner » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 15]

C+
stringunner

Postby Swede » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 16]

For years I was at the "D" level and I knew it. I was bothered by that fact, and listened and read from a number of different sources to try and improve. There were a lot of callers writing books and magazine articles. I have watched a multitude of videos. Some I bought. Some I rented, and some I have seen on the internet. I even have an old cassette tape from one prominent, successful bow hunter. Some bow hunters were putting on seminars and I attended at least three of them. I was still at the "D" level and knew it. That grade did not come from me, but from the elk that were scoring my calls. I could get answers, I would close in on them and call again, but most of the time they just left. No; they did not run away. They treated me as an unwanted guest in their close circle of friends. Usually they just walked off leaving me to wonder "what did I say?"
Finally I started picking up on this character who went by the handle of Elknut1. At first he was just another elk nut, but after reading his posts awhile I realized he know elk. In a world of people posting and making lots of noise, I could see Elknut1 one was the genuine article. I called him several times, I purchased his full set of DVDs when they came out, and have his Playbook.
I have never worked up to the "A" level. That is not terribly important to me. I do understand what I am doing and what the elk are saying now. I feel confident in the elk calling arena and can say I am a solid "B". That is not too bad for an old tree stand hunter. Ya, I still rely on my tree stand, but it is very comforting to know if I want to come down and call elk for a change, I am not wasting my time.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Bowhunter » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Swede. I am in the same boat. I was a "D" and now after his Playbook and DVDs and CD. I am a "C" with a lot to learn. He does do a great job of explaining elk sounds. I just need to refresh on them and practice. Maybe some day I will be a "B"
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H