Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I guess it's that time!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I guess it's that time!

Postby POk3s » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 1]

After receiving a concerned PM from John (Fitzgerald) about my whereabouts I figured I should explain myself of why I haven't been around. I truthfully have to take it season by season. If it's winter and spring I physically CAN'T talk elk. If I talk elk hunting all year around I drive myself completely insane. So with all that said, I've been checking into the turkey hunting area to see some of you boys killing some good gobblers. I struck out in two different states. Traveled to Oregon to hunt with a buddy of mine and killed one jake. Bought two very expensive bird tags plus the price of gas and came home with a measly jake! Monday through Thursday I went to the black hills with a buddy of mine and we didn't even find the public land birds until Wednesday. they'd gobble for about 5 minutes before they flew down and then it was like hunting ghosts. Struck out both mornings and didn't want to blow them off public so didn't hunt around there wednesday only to screw it up Thursday anyways.

Regardless of all that it's time to start thinking ELK again and wishing it was September. I'll be around a lot more often giving my .02 to anyone who would like to listen. I put in for my Wyoming tags on the third so here's to good wishes for everyones "special tags"! Good luck in the draws and Cheers boys!
POk3s

Re: I guess it's that time!

Postby Swede » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Welcome back POK3s. I am sorry you did not do any better on the turkey hunts. I suspect the turkeys are happy you are out of their way now. :D It is just too bad for the elk.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

check into the docs office forum occ. i can understand gettin burned out. i got burned out on turkeys an quit huntin em.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Canvsbk » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Haveing been gobbled at in a half a dozen different states over the years I guess I always felt that actually pulling the trigger on a bird was pretty anti climatic. I sure had a lot of fun wile I was hot on it but it seems I'm kinda burnt out on it too. Good luck in the draw.
Canvsbk

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nelson

Postby POk3s » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm burned out. I would still hunt them if they were closer. Traveling so far to hunt birds and striking out makes it sting. A walnut sized brain has outsmarted me enough this year. What are you trying to tell me bnsafe? What about "Doc's Office"?
POk3s

Postby easeup » 05 14, 2013 •  [Post 6]

yes sir, it is just around the corner and will be here soon.
easeup