Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!

Postby easeup » 05 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

this is not a shamless plug for a sponsor.....

so for the guys that hunt solo, have you had much experience using a decoy?

When you hunt alone and set up with this decoy, is there a greater possibilityof getting a frontal shot opportunity?

what do you guys say?
easeup

Re: SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!

Postby Swede » 05 14, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I think a decoy has its place when calling elk solo. I am definitely not taking one with me to a tree stand location. I don't want one when I am have a shooter plus caller situation either.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkmtngear » 05 14, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Easeup,
Your title caught my attention (imagine that) :D

I'm gonna take the 5th on this one for awhile and let others with decoying experience (hopefully) chime in ;)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 15, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I've used Montana Decoys in the past. The metal stakes were to heavy and at times it was to much of a pain to set it up. Jeff's system seems a lot more usefull. I think I might try the Elk Rump Slip.

jf
JohnFitzgerald

Postby stringunner » 05 15, 2013 •  [Post 5]

last year I was trying out a heads up decoy. not hunting solo but calling for a buddy as I had already tagged out. I set up directly behind him about 50 yards and had the heads up decoy out. we called a cow in on a string directly in front of my buddy, the only shot he had was a frontal at 17 yards. looking back I should have set up (depending on wind) on either the right or left side of my buddy (also depending on the direction the elk was coming from) this would have allowed for a broad side shot. I think if I were to use it solo, I would do the same thing, set it up behind me 30+ yards and sit off to one side. Directly behind you and I do believe it will increase the opportunity for a frontal shot. I hear of guys saying they will circle around trying to get down wind, but we haven't experienced that yet, though it makes sense. We have used decoys a lot in calling sequences and when the elk commit, we have found they come pretty strait on to the decoy (wind being in our favor of course). We generally do not place it and leave it, someone is always behind with decoy in hand, allows for movement and more options. The heads up and Montana rump (with string attached instead of packing the stakes) are what we have and we love them. Jeff's system looks cool too, might have to try one of those one of these years.
stringunner

Postby easeup » 05 20, 2013 •  [Post 6]

ttt
easeup

Postby Arapahoe » 05 20, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I carried a Montana Decoy for two years in Colorado and never had one opportunity where I thought it would have been an advantage so I been leaving it.

I'm sure there will come a time when I'll regret it but try to carry as little as possible the older I get.

I've had the best luck on solo broadside shots by being close but out of site, making a call and sneaking up 20 yards and a little upwind.
Arapahoe

Postby elkmtngear » 05 20, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Arapahoe wrote: I've had the best luck on solo broadside shots by being close but out of site, making a call and sneaking up 20 yards and a little upwind.

This is exactly how I would use the decoy as a solo hunter. Stab it down, call, and move forward and diagonally . This reduces the risk of a frontal shot; the bull's focus and ultimate destination will be the decoy.

It may increase your chance of success in the case of a bull "hanging up" in the timber, looking for an elk where the call came from.
Best of Luck,
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Arapahoe » 05 21, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I should clarify I move down wind of what path I think the Elk might take. I always anticipate they will arc a little to the downwind side also.
Arapahoe

Postby cnelk » 05 21, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I've had a Montana decoy for several years.
I've carried it, used it, forgot it, wish I didn't use it...

I have brought bulls across an open clear cut into my lap using it.

I use it more when cover is more sparse / open and the elk I'm calling to want to see another elk.

In thicker stuff I don't use it as I rely on the cover, not the decoy to bring them closer

Do they work? Yes
All the time? No
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby elkmtngear » 05 21, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Arapahoe wrote:I should clarify I move down wind of what path I think the Elk might take. I always anticipate they will arc a little to the downwind side also.

That has been my experience in many encounters; they tend to arc toward the downwind side of the decoy. Or in your example, where the call came from.
Best of Luck,
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor