Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First time to say hello everyone!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Rutaddict » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Well I've been member on here for a few months lurking around and trying to get and learn as much as I can from everyone before I just came barging on asking questions. When I joined this forum it quickly became the only thing I wanted to do everyday all day was just read everything and try to soak as much in as possible. Everyone on here seems very helpful and pretty friendly. So I've drawn my MT tag and am think I have narrowed the area I want to hunt down to Gallatin and Park counties. Now I don't want any specific locations but any little tips or maybe where I might want to narrow it down a little further would help and being from miami Florida It is going to be tough to get out there and put the leg work in before the season. Now I'm 26 and in very good shape so walking far distances shouldn't be a problem except for the altitude adjusting. Thanks everyone for everything I have already learned
Rutaddict

First Name: Richard
Last Name: Peeples

Re: First time to say hello everyone!

Postby LckyTylr » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Welcome!

Have you hunted the Mountains of the West yet?

You either ARE addicted . . . or you WILL BE addicted.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby JJ Overkill » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 3]

welcome, lots of good guys and gals on here. im sure you've seen most of that already though.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Welcome bud! Our Indian Summer as well as some of our other MT hunters should be able to give you some good advice!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Rutaddict » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 5]

This will be my first elk hunt and hunting the mountains out west and yea I'm addicted already ordered all of elk nuts videos and the Playbook.
Rutaddict

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Welcome to "the" elk forum friend.. Pull up a log at our camp. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby bnsafe » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 7]

welcome, your in the right spot. along with being in good shape hike with some weight in a pack. it makes a huge difference. i use 25 lb cat litter bags in my framepack. i start with 50 lbs and go to 75 about 6 weeks before season. good luck, ive never hunted montana but been there a few times, no prettier country. what time of year are you going.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Rutaddict » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I will be archery hunting and hopefully going the second week of sept and planning on coming home when I kill one or when archery ends. I've been walking around 3-6 miles a couple times a week with close to 60lbs on my back everytime. The weight hasn't been a problem but I'm sure all that changes quickly when your walking up and down mountains.
Rutaddict

Postby cnelk » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Howdy and welcome

Coming from Miami you are in for treat! You better pack some oxygen! lol!
You may want to try jumping rope wearing a dust mask to get in shape - Because there is no air! :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I am glad you joined us. Welcome to camp and feel free to add what you think best and ask questions.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Rutaddict » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 11]

So does anyone have any help for Gallatin or Park counties? how bad are the wolves there and is this a good place to start?
Rutaddict

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Rutaddict wrote:So does anyone have any help for Gallatin or Park counties? how bad are the wolves there and is this a good place to start?

Welcome rutaddict,
Those are two pretty big areas you are talking about. If you want to narrow it down a little bit further I might be able to help you out. Karen Loveless (out of Livingston) would be a good person to get in contact with as far as Biologist go for Park county. Julie Cunningham (out of Bozeman) is the Bilogist for most of Gallatin county. As far as wolves go, if you stay north of the Interstate you should be in areas where they haven't affected much if it all. You might also run into a Grizzly bear going south, so keep that in mind. I plan on hunting for the first time in that area this September so most of my information is from research.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby one_elk » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Spent 8 years hunting in parts of those two counites and saw my share G. Bears, B. Bears, M. Lions (just a couple but was cool to see them) and a few wolves, carried bear spary but never had to use it except on a overly curious moose...
one_elk