Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Epiphanal Moment

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Epiphanal Moment

Postby Swede » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I know all hunters are learning continuously. Every hunt has probably added something to our bag of knowledge and tricks. In fact it is that knowledge and insight that causes us to wonder about other things that might work, and to experiment. What has jumped out at you that as taken you a quantum leap forward in your ability to kill elk? Some of you Elknuts are darn hard on the elk population, so don't try to kid me about just being lucky. :D You have been at it for years and know what it takes beyond "watch the wind", or "don't call from an opening". So what is it that you know and do, that puts elk on the ground regularly for you, while others in your own camp continuously go home empty?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Epiphanal Moment

Postby Bowhunter » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Well this post excludes me. I was only lucky once out of 5 years. I have learned a lot the last year and still learning. I hope to be lucky again this year and many more. Looking forward to hearing what the yearly elk slayers have to say.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

My moment came when I realized elk have a language. And any hunter, once they understand it, can use it to their advatage. But don't forget to fool their senses first.

My 2-cents!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby cnelk » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Geez Swede,,,,
First you take away my wind, then you take away my luck.

I got nothing now.... :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

As you stated Swede, we never quit learning, no matter how long we been at it. When I first started bow hunting elk a long time ago, I was just like every other new elk hunter and just learned to make elk sounds. The more I hunted, the more I learned elk language. Talking with elk will fill the freezer more than just blurting out elk sounds. Like I commented on another post, my favorite is the bark, bark bugle, I added about 8 years a go, triggered by a desperate experiment. I busted a couple of cow elk in the trail and they ran off a few hundred yards and started barking. I knew I could make the sound and let out a couple. Next thing you know they are circling me, barking at 30 yards. This filled the freezer a few times for me in the last 8 years and a few more for my friends. I also have a" big head " and never go elk hunting thinking negative. I expect to see elk every year and have opportunities. I really feel being successful just about every year is a combination of dumb luck, experience, knowing the area, knowing the language and getting away from the roads. I am not much for sitting, but added tree stand hunting a few years ago and took a few nice bulls that way also. Its a life long learning experience. Some elk have come easy and some were sweat. pain and tears. Going for #28 with a bow this year. Never hunted elk with a firearm. Now that I am older, there is always pain.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Swede » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 6]

There are two epiphany moments I recognize. There have been a large number of steps forward and transitions too.

The first huge leap I made was when I observed this dusty beat out game trail leading down to a water hole. Along the trail was several fresh rub trees. I had a tree stand up in what I thought should be a good location. I had seen elk there and there was water available. I sat there awhile, but was bored and could not stand to just sit there. I noticed that where my stand was there was no fresh sign. After about an hour, I climbed down and went back to calling for elk.
It was at the end of that opening weekend when I found the new site. It was too late to go get the homemade stand and set it back up, so I waited in the brush until dark and headed home. I had to work that next week, but on Friday afternoon I was back and relocated the stand. The next afternoon I killed a nice 5 point bull there. That not only was a huge advance for me, but changed my whole outlook on how to hunt elk.

The other epiphany moment was when I recognized that Elknut was not just another nut. I had been following along and even posting for months/years on Bowsite. I recognized there were some genuine good hunters posting there, and a bunch of others who just thought they were. All of a sudden as I was reading it dawned on me that this Elknut1 was not only very knowledgeable, but was quite willing to share solid information. I know what you are thinking "Swede: You are a slow learner", but remember, there are no red flags that come with these posts.

I believe we are blessed with a sizable group of skilled hunters here. I appreciate everyone of them. There are a couple more I wish would move over here in a significant way. I enjoy debating and comparing different experiences, and hope that everyone that follows these threads benefits from them. If you have not come to your epiphany moment in elk hunting, I hope this is your season
Swede

Postby elkmtngear » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I was fortunate to have a very successful elk killer as a mentor for the first few years, and I think it really cut the learning curve for me.

I became a student of elk behavior. I was always wondering why elk would react a certain way in a certain situation. Even though I had learned how to kill elk on a semi-regular basis, I still lacked a good understanding of the elk.

I think one of the best things I ever did was purchase the Playbook from Elknut on CD. Even though I knew the sounds the elk were making and could mimic many of them, I don't think I truly realized what the elk were "saying". All the dots started to connect for me when I listened to the Playbook, it explained so much behavior I had witnessed over the years.

I think having a better understanding elk vocalizations and behavior has truly given me an edge I was lacking.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Ok, you folks that have killed 10 or more elk. You know who you are. As Flo says in the Progressive Insurance advertisement; "don't be shy". We, especially newer elk hunters, are all interested in how you went from being an average, or little better than average hunter, to being able to legally take elk on public land OYC hunts. Elknut1 did an old Indian tell you all that you know or did you stumble into one of their hunting manuals? :P
Swede

Postby stringunner » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I don't know about putting elk on the ground "regularly" but becoming intimately familiar with the area that we hunt has propelled us more in the past three years than the previous 10 years before that. This has come at a cost in the off season as we have been making 6-7 scouting trips (3 hours one way, not really that far compared to many of you) each spring/summer and spending as much time in the woods pre-season as we do during the season. This has also improved our ability to scout via google earth. Seeing how the ridge lines puzzle together and where the valleys lead and all the little things in between.
stringunner

Postby otcWill » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 10]

My epiphany came when I realized my first OTC spot wasn't as good as I thought. I like to scout only second to bowhunting and my travels have led me to become very skilled at finding elk with a map. I have a simple research /scouting method that has led me and others to elk without failure and in multiple units/states. I'm reluctant to post all the details as I have future plans to publish my techniques, but I will say that you control your own success. Hard work/research prior to the hunt trumps Huntn ability any day. You can't kill one if ya ain't in em!
otcWill

Postby cnelk » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 11]

My epiphany word is ‘Recognize’

All veteran, successful elk hunters have been b!tch slapped a few times.
And when you come ‘Recognize’ a few things, the slapping will decrease.

Below are a few things I ‘Recognized’ to alleviate the slapping…

1- You need to spend lots of time in elk country. Not just any elk country, but country that holds elk. You need to ‘Recognize’ when you come across good country and not so good country.
2- You need to ‘Recognize’ the ‘speed’ of the woods. You cannot drive to your elk county, jump out and go hunt. You will move too fast. Your mind moves too fast. The woods goes at its own rate. You need to adjust to that speed, the woods does not adjust to your time/speed.
3- You need to ‘Recognize’ the shot. Not just any shot, but WHEN and WHERE. Too many times I have seen the whisper of opportunity fade in a matter of a few seconds when a hunter didn’t ‘Recognize’ what was happening.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Cnelk: I wish I had posted that. You are right on. Slowing down and recognizing what is going on is the hardest thing to get people, especially youth to do. It is made even harder when they can say I saw 12 or maybe 50 elk today, and you say you only saw 1. Of coarse they saw elk on the move and you had the one broadside at 20 yards.
Swede

Postby easeup » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 13]

mr swede, I never considered myself to be part of the elite group of elkhunters, but you insisted......thanks for the invitation!

this one is crazy when compared to my friends here above me.....but the moment that did the trick for me was the first year I put down the rifle for good after 20 years of elkhunting. I picked up a bow and from that day forward my mind had to change on how I hunted elk. No longer did I prepare to go see a mountain side and look and listen, but now I would get down and be with them on their terms. That new mindset on what does it take to close the gap to 30 yds and of course my purchase of the playbook surely bridged the gap. Secondly, I bowhunted one year shortly after that with a young man who already knew the game on a masters level and seeing all of the game in session at once......well, all I know is that I paid attention to what happened on the mountain that week.

It is a never ending process of learning and enjoying every minute in elk country. how is that for being vague?....lol
easeup

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Some real pearls being shared here gentlemen. I would offer that I can remember two turning points in my elk career, the first was "hunt where there are huntable, killable elk". Sounds simple, right? Not so simple as we get locked in to an area and refuse to adjust our range due to comfy camp, packed way back into spot X, etc., and are not willing to relocate if that area is not providing opportunities, or, has other variables surface that limit opportunites (more hunting pressure than expected, predator predation affecting herd, change of season dates affecting elk location/vocalization, etc., etc.). The other for me is absolutely Elknut's elk language interpretation teachings.. opened my eyes wide for certain and has made an immediate impact in my ability to get very, very close to rutting bulls and speak to them properly in a given situation.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Elk can't think! They react! So the sooner you realize what they react to and why they react to it, your score will go way up.

As a single hunter, learning how to direct traffic when you have a bull coming your way is a really big deal.

And last but far from least is, if you only learn one call, make it the nervous bark. It will stop them on a dime every time.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby one_elk » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 16]

In line with what Phantom was saying, when I learned to look at a map and identify those areas that had a high probability of holding elk then focusing on those areas my success grew significantly and someday I will learn to be more patient, that can only increase my success rate and reduce my self imposed frustration….
one_elk

Postby Mikeha33 » 06 05, 2013 •  [Post 17]

This is an absolutely awesome thread. Keep up the good work, rookies like myself are taking notes, and learning vicariously as you type! Thank you guys, for not only having a fun discussion between seasoned elk killers, but for teaching us new guys.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey