Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elkaholic returns!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elkaholic returns!!

Postby FemoralArchery » 06 06, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I just noticed you were back on here. Welcome back!

Is there any way we can see a picture or 12 of that great bull your wife took this last fall?

I've already seen them, but I'm sure everyone else would love to see.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Re: Elkaholic returns!!

Postby elkaholic » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Thanks for the warm welcome. I can't figure out how to put pictures on here. Ive tried now for 30 minutes and I keep getting error after error. At this pace my computer is going to end up with a sledge hammer in it. Anyone have any how to advice?
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 3]

elkaholic wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome. I can't figure out how to put pictures on here. Ive tried now for 30 minutes and I keep getting error after error. At this pace my computer is going to end up with a sledge hammer in it. Anyone have any how to advice?

Probably the size of what you're trying to post. Try to open your picture on your desktop and re size to something that's a bit smaller. John Fitz, site administrator, can give you the maximum size of what is allowed. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby FemoralArchery » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I figured you'd be gone for the weekend fishing or scouting or something. Glad you're back on here.

Probably need to resize your pics for them to post on here.

Didn't she win something over at the Idaho Sportsmans Show?
FemoralArchery

Postby elkaholic » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 5]

We did get out of the valley for the weekend but only to get a head start on the fall chores..;)

How do you resize the photos? I keep cropping them but there is nothing left by the time I am under 1 MiB and 800x800 pixels.. Is there a way to reformat and tell it I want it to be under the limits?
elkaholic

Postby Huntography » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 6]

elkaholic wrote:We did get out of the valley for the weekend but only to get a head start on the fall chores..;)

How do you resize the photos? I keep cropping them but there is nothing left by the time I am under 1 MiB and 800x800 pixels.. Is there a way to reformat and tell it I want it to be under the limits?

This is a simple, free and pretty awesome online editing site I use for pics:

http://www.ribbet.com/

Good luck!

Rudy
Rudy
Documentary Filmmaker, Huntography

Filming America's Hunters, One at a Time.
http://www.huntography.com/
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby elkaholic » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Alrighty. Finally figured it out.

So proud of my better half for putting in some long days in hot weather. Night before the opener we got a rain storm that passed through and boy did it get everything fired up. We were more excited than kids before Christmas thinking of what the next couple of days would bring. Well it brought heat and bluebird skies. Not great for hunting elk. We had about 3 hours in the morning to hunt and then the last hour of the day. Nothing would respond during the middle of the day as the temps pushed almost 80.
We saw a lot of elk during the hunt and during scouting but this was the best bull that we found. We found him 10 days before the hunt started and on opening morning I suggested we pass on him as we wanted to take a 360+ if possible. Well I totally misjudged this guy. I had him figured around 340.

We hunted some different areas that I had scouted seeing bulls everyday. It was a great time but the non-typical was stuck in our minds. Day 4 found us back where we had seen him before hoping to get a second chance at him. Walking into the drainage in mid afternoon we saw a lot more elk tracks than during previous scouting trips. I was worried that the elk had been pushed off the top of the mountain and out into the vast wilderness below. Another thing that made this trip a little more exciting was the sets of cougar tracks that we kept seeing while we followed the ridge up. Not what the Mrs. wanted to see as we knew it would be dark when we came out.. ;)
As we moved from basin to basin trying to locate bulls we were getting worried that he was gone. And that is when we heard him. His long drawn out bugle was music to our ears. Cresting the saddle we could tell he was closing in on our position. Bullet in and shooting sticks ready.... Waiting for the bull that we hadn't seen yet to clear some trees about 200 yrds away. As soon as he rounded the tree his kicker gave him away. Finally. He came in bugling the whole way until he was about 80 yrds away and gave her a broadside shot.

As soon as we walked up on him I knew I had badly misjudged him. His mass was incredible and he was a warrior. His right eye had taken a jab during a fight and was swollen shut.

We entered him into the Sportsmans Show and she took 1st place elk with a score of 351 and some change. Had I not suggested passing on him opening day when he was unbroken we would have probably surpassed the 360 mark.
Attachments
laci3.jpg
laci3.jpg (274.06 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
laci1.jpg
laci1.jpg (270.7 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
laci2.jpg
laci2.jpg (264.23 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
elkaholic

Postby stringunner » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Awesome bull. Congrats to your wife
stringunner

Postby FemoralArchery » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 9]

He's a monster for sure. Congrats again.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

That is enough to get everyone's blood pumping for the season that is drawing closer as we speak.
FemoralArchery

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Yeah, I guess it's ok.. if you like that sort of thing ;) What a great bull and hunt. Congratulations to Mrs. Elkaholic and her hunting partner. Thanks for sharing the pics. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ