Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Camper or Killer

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Camper or Killer

Postby Bartfrncs » 06 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

CNELK got me to thinking with stepping on toes. I ask the most important thing are you a camper or a killer ? Only you can know. I don't bowhunt elk much anymore too many things I cant control. Since I went back to the gun in 2008 after 5 years of tag soup, succsess is sure nice. So me I'm in it for the freezer filling kill.
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Re: Camper or Killer

Postby JJ Overkill » 06 08, 2013 •  [Post 2]

ive been a camper for the last two yrs. im hoping to change that this yr with my bow. I plan on trying to get a leftover late season rifle cow tag for the first time. im all for fillin' the freezer.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby LckyTylr » 06 08, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I'm a killer that hasn't struck yet. :-)

I don't sit around and enjoy the camp fire, I am out there alone as far away from the comforts as I can get, because that's where the average guy stops and the elk begin.

Camping is for rifle deer season. :lol:
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Migolito » 06 08, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Neither, I'm a hunter.
Migolito

First Name: Mike

Postby no limits » 06 09, 2013 •  [Post 5]

i would say i'm a hunter also i don't rate my success on the kill don't get my wrong i like meat in the freezer to but if i can hike into a wilderness area with 70 or 80lbs on my back and stay out for 7 to 10 days as a solo hunter and locate some elk maybe not always get the kill and then make it back to my truck in pretty good shape thats an awesome accomplishment for me if i harvest one with my bow even better just to get away from everyday life is my goal
no limits

First Name: Arlyn
Last Name: Hamstra

Postby Swede » 06 09, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I know this will surprise some, but I would not do what I do or go where I go for a camping experience. It is all about meat in the cooler. I might camp where you hunt, but I would never camp where I hunt. I worked there too many years, so I would rather see some other place if I am in it for a camp out.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 8seconds » 06 09, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I believe this question deserves more depth and could have been stated differently. It is not about camping or killling; it is the journey! Everyone wants meat in the freezer! Been there done that many many times with a 7mm!

At 69 to be in a wilderness setting for up to 2 weeks with nothing more than what i carry in (badland 2200) on a solo bow hunt (recurve) is tantamount to a long range reconissance patrol in a non combat environment. It brings out a part of you that maybe you knew nothing about. Some things you are given; some you strive for; some you can create.

Expensive camping trip? Sometimes! But you will find no or very few hunters where I am. It is a paradise.
8seconds

First Name: Buck
Last Name: Sheward

Camper or Killer

Postby Huntography » 06 09, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Camper or killer? Those are two extremes.

As a hunter, I cherish the opportunity to hunt as well as the deer or elk camp experience.

I take it all in.

Yes, as a hunter, I want to kill the animal I'm hunting for. But if I don't, I am thankful for the opportunity just as well.

As a filmmaker, I film to capture the entire hunting experience in a documentary style, not just the hunt. This means I can film at any time of the day or night.

I capture the hunting culture and heritage of everyone I film.

It's all authentic and unscripted.

I produced 4 films since 2010. 3 whitetail deer and 1 elk film.

Watch any of my trailers and you'll quickly see what is important to me.

As an Elk Nut member since last year and as a new forum sponsor, this thread was a good chance for me to share why I do what I do.

Please take a look see:

http://www.huntography.com/

There's more to hunting than just the kill. Every hunter is different. Every hunt is unique. We all have our reasons on why and how we hunt. Sometimes we're successful in filling a tag. But in my opinion, even if we don't, just being out there and doing our best to make it happen is a success in my book.

But, I sure do love a freezer full of meat any day :)

Rudy
Rudy
Documentary Filmmaker, Huntography

Filming America's Hunters, One at a Time.
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby wideangle » 06 09, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I like both aspects. I like the camp experience with fellow hunters/campers. I like stalking and killing elk. I also like variety.
We always apply for another out of state elk tag.
We bow hunt in Oregon and then rifle hunt another state for elk, or deer or antelope.
We have done drop camps, backpacking camps, big drive to base camps and float trips all unguided over twenty some years.
All have merit.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby cnelk » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Im a camper all summer until opening day.
Then Im a hunter
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Camper or Killer

Postby Huntography » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Cnelk - I hear ya. Even when camping, I'm still a hunter at heart :)

I'll post an amazing story from last weeks camping trip shortly to illustrate this.

Rudy
Rudy
Documentary Filmmaker, Huntography

Filming America's Hunters, One at a Time.
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy