Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Packing in a Spotting Scope?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby LarryBud » 06 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Another Rookie question.

With pack weight such a premium, does anyone pack in a spotting scope? I have decent glasses but nothing fancy.

Thoughts? Thanks
LarryBud

Re: Packing in a Spotting Scope?

Postby Swede » 06 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

It depends on where you are hunting and how you are hunting. If you are hunting open country, with good vantage points it is probably a good idea. If you are just sitting at a water hole in archery season, bring a book instead. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Migolito » 06 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I'm an Ultra-lite backpacker, so most of my gear is geared towards weight and function. This has forced me to evaluate every single thing I carry and separate them into two categories; what is must have and what is nice to have. When I'm hunting I always have my binos and spotting scope. I simply see significantly more animals with them than without, and that's the point after all.
Migolito

First Name: Mike

Postby LarryBud » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm leaning towards taking it along for the ride. It has the the little 8" tripod which I believe I could rig up on a rock or something.
LarryBud

Postby Migolito » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I can't tell from your post if you already use a Spotting Scope, but. If you don't I start using a scope when I enter a drainage (from high or low) to search the drainage, I use it to glass in/under the trees across canyon, set op high and away from trails, etc. It saves miles of walking and allows me to cover significantly more ground than if I was walking only. I used to use only Binos for glassing (cause the spotting scope was just too heavy) until I learned how to really use one. Maybe someone with better writing skills than I can do a decent write op of how to actually use a Spotting Scope properly (?)
Migolito

First Name: Mike

Postby Vanish » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 6]

It would be a total waste of weight where I hunt. I barely get to use my binoculars as it is. Just so many trees.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Lefty » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I day pack in and have a lightweight spotting scope.
I tend to put the scope in a middle pocket with clothesIf I m heading back to camp or walking a long ways I'll wrap the scope in a jacket.
Ive spotted elk from long distances with a scope, over 5 miles
Vanish: I use my binos a lot when spot and stalking (rifle) deer and also used them to rifle elk. binos can often seperate an elks flickering ear at 30 yards from a squrril , or ID an elk from a deer at 25 yards or truley spot a buck or bull in its bed 50 yards out.Pic out an eye ball at 15 yards
In the dark I may be able tell the differance of a moo cow or elk or a tree
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby cnelk » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Vanish wrote:It would be a total waste of weight where I hunt. I barely get to use my binoculars as it is. Just so many trees.

My thoughts exactly
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Vanish » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Lefty wrote:Vanish: I use my binos a lot when spot and stalking (rifle) deer and also used them to rifle elk. binos can often seperate an elks flickering ear at 30 yards from a squrril , or ID an elk from a deer at 25 yards or truley spot a buck or bull in its bed 50 yards out.Pic out an eye ball at 15 yards

Yes Lefty, this is surely something I need to improve upon. Unfortunately, I have trouble with my binoculars due to the way my glasses sit on my nose (I have to push them up to use binos), so using them while holding my bow is a real pita.

I know I've got a lot of work to do in the "still hunting" department!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Trophyhill » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I never have in the past because I've mostly hunted from a base camp in the timber and hunt the timber. Now that I have the equipment and pack to do a back country hunt anywhere(5 years in the making), my spotter will go with me.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby ferris bugler » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I do. It makes the quiet afternoons entertaining.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby Solitude » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Use it all the time in ID, WY and MT. I really enjoy dialing in on the bull when I find him to get a good look at the caliber of the bull....not that I am a trophy hunter at all. I have also spotted bulls bedded near cows, which naturally helps with the approaches.
Solitude

Postby Lefty » 06 12, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Vanish wrote:
Lefty wrote:Vanish: I use my binos a lot when spot and stalking (rifle) deer and also used them to rifle elk. binos can often seperate an elks flickering ear at 30 yards from a squrril , or ID an elk from a deer at 25 yards or truley spot a buck or bull in its bed 50 yards out.Pic out an eye ball at 15 yards

Yes Lefty, this is surely something I need to improve upon. Unfortunately, I have trouble with my binoculars due to the way my glasses sit on my nose (I have to push them up to use binos), so using them while holding my bow is a real pita.

I know I've got a lot of work to do in the "still hunting" department!

I had lasic done 15 years ago. Lasic changed my hunting
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby one_elk » 06 12, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I use my spotting scope all the time as well….and I find it extremely useful and would not be at elk camp without it…as the old saying goes ya can’t hunt what ya can’t see, well I guess you can but it certainly makes it more difficult…
one_elk