Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How to hunt CO 1st season sage brush elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How to hunt CO 1st season sage brush elk

Postby AmericanBwana » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Good evening,
I burned my 9 points and drew and ES Elk Rifle RFW tag up at Big Gulch Ranch. I've helped with two hunts a bit south of their (Morgan Creek RFW), and have a 'working knowledge' of how to hunt these sage brush elk (A term I've heard).

This is a big change for me as I've spent the last 10 years Archery hunting. I'm pretty sure Rifle hunting is similar, but with some key differences.

Any helpful prep tips for hunt?

Will the elk still be talking the second week of October?

Thank you in advance.
AB
AmericanBwana

First Name: Dana
Last Name: Gertsch

Re: How to hunt CO 1st season sage brush elk

Postby POk3s » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Not from Colorado but have my fair share of "sagebrush elk" here in Wyoming. This will more than likely be a spot and stalk/ambush hunt for you. They might still be bugling the second week for the first few days of the season until the human pressure shuts them up but it's tough to call elk in the sagebrush.
POk3s

Postby one_elk » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I have a fair bit of experience and some success with hunting elk in the sagebrush, it never ceases to amaze me how many elk spend a significant amount of time in the sagebrush and oakbrush, particularly during the rut (hmmm the cows especially, are also there during calving season). I also know sagebrush areas that hold elk all year long even through the hot months i.e. August….I wouldn’t have thought they wouldn’t stay there but they do. Enough rambling…..In my opinion, and you probably already know these things, but spotting scopes and binos are essential when hunting the sage, use the topography to your advantage for spotting, a little slope and additional elevation can really open up a hillside ( we use adjacent hillsides a mile or two away to scope areas we want to hunt). Of course water is always a factor, elk in general don’t spend a lot of time much more than ½ mile from water. It also seems to me that late evenings are more productive in the sage. Hope that helps and good luck….the north side of rocky outcroppings also seems to hold elk…..
one_elk

Postby elkmtngear » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 4]

If there are range cattle in the area, the SLIP System with the Moo Cow Decoy can help close the distance in open country if needed. It also provides the added bonuses of keeping the weather off you, and serving as a trekking pole for hiking in and out. It also provides a stable gun rest, or you can mount a camera on it if you like.

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Vanish » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 5]

AmericanBwana wrote:Will the elk still be talking the second week of October?

I can't say for sure in that area of Colorado, but where I hunted the last couple of years, the rut has occurred in October rather than September, and first rifle hunters have been having a ball. Very annoying for the archery hunter! :x
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby easeup » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 6]

that first 1/2 hr of day light is what that hunt is all about. It seems in some areas the elk feed at night in hay field down low and move up through the sage at first light until they get to some shade for the day....and you ambush them
easeup