Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Montana interactive maps??

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Montana interactive maps??

Postby Sneez_98 » 06 12, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Does anyone know if montana game and fish has maps of public and private land that I can download on my gps? If not where do I go about getting these maps?
Sneez_98

First Name: Mike
Last Name: Sneesby

Re: Montana interactive maps??

Postby Lefty » 06 12, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Ill be waiting for the answer also
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby BrentLaBere » 06 12, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I bought the GPShunting Maps chip for my garmin. I dont think you can download them from the FWP but if you can I will be upset for buying the chip!
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby planebow » 06 12, 2013 •  [Post 4]

They do not have any that can be downloaded to your gps. But as Brent has said the Hunting GPS Maps is the best out there for what you want.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Sneez_98 » 06 12, 2013 •  [Post 5]

How much does the chip cost?
Sneez_98

Postby planebow » 06 12, 2013 •  [Post 6]

They are $99 I believe but this site http://www.blackovis.com/ has them and now till the end of June they have a 10% discount for elknut forum members
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby mr_steve » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Check out the TRAX GPS chips. We have had great success with it. We use it in the Garmin Nuvi in the vehicle and the Garmin Oregon 450 in the field. You can buy one for just MT or for the western states. It has national forest land, blm land, and state owned land marked. In some areas it will tell you who owns a piece of land. The state land being marked is the best part because that is easy to miss.

Here's their site:
http://www.koutdoorproducts.com/
mr_steve

First Name: Steve
Last Name: Frith

Postby Z Barebow » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 8]

mr_steve wrote:Check out the TRAX GPS chips. We have had great success with it. We use it in the Garmin Nuvi in the vehicle and the Garmin Oregon 450 in the field. You can buy one for just MT or for the western states. It has national forest land, blm land, and state owned land marked. In some areas it will tell you who owns a piece of land. The state land being marked is the best part because that is easy to miss.

Here's their site:
http://www.koutdoorproducts.com/

I just bought his chip set also. Looks great. (Since it shows ownership, I can now see who all of my neighbors are!)
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby lang » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 9]

might try kmlers.com. I looked into it a while ago and didn't join, but looked good.
lang

First Name: Bryan

Postby Backcountry » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 10]

What GPS are you using? The Hunting GPS Maps are only availble for use in Garmin units and particular ones at that. Great program! Full 24k topo, full access to all land status' in the state, and regular updates to go with them. Now you will know every piece of land that has come off or on to the BLM porgram. Perhaps the best part of the chip is the ability of them to tell you Land owner names and contact info.

They also have a new chip out called "Regional Maps". This chip runs exactly the same as the original version minus the land owners name. Cutting out this info allowed them to lump multiple states onto a card (MT, ID, and WY). Great option for someone who travels to hunt often.

As far as internet scouting my biggest tool is a interactive map from Montana's Bully PulPit (http://map.mtbullypulpit.org/). This map allows you to view an area in sattelite images, topo, and terrain with switchable overlays of land ownership, GMU's, and BMA's.

Good luck!
Backcountry

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barnett

Postby aron » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Has anyone used both the Hunting GPS Maps and TRAX chips? Prefer one to the other?

Can you get the Hunting GPS Maps updated annually?
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby aron » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Nevermind on the update. Found that there is an annual update that looks to be free for the Hunting GPS Maps? TRAX system you have to pay $20.
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby Backcountry » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 13]

aron wrote:Nevermind on the update. Found that there is an annual update that looks to be free for the Hunting GPS Maps? TRAX system you have to pay $20.

The update for for GPS Maps does cost $20. I was just talking with the owner an hour or so ago... They are working on a new Montana version right now and adding a few states too. Unless you are hunting blm or looking for new privates pieces I see no dire need to update yearly
Backcountry

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barnett

Postby Sneez_98 » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I'm using a garmin so I will check into it, thanks for the help!
Sneez_98