Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scout/Hunt OR Hunt/Scout

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scout/Hunt OR Hunt/Scout

Postby cnelk » 06 12, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Whats your method of scouting?

Scout an area then hunt it?

OR

Select an area, hunt / scout it at the same time?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: Scout/Hunt OR Hunt/Scout

Postby Swede » 06 12, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I sure have done both, but prefer to scout areas first. Early in my hunting life I went out with my dad. I started to build on those experiences and the knowledge I gained about the areas we hunted together. I also did a lot of reading about hunting. Later I hunted areas where I worked. I would scout weekends and review maps and stored wildlife information after work hours, that the Forest Service had on file.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby otcWill » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I've done both with success but definitely would rather be able to burn some serious bootleather before hunting if possible. No substitute for scouting except local advice/knowledge imo.
otcWill

Postby GetemDuck » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I'd rather know where I'm going as i walk through the timber in the dark trying to find a 20 foot clearing I seen on a 15 inch monitor setting in my living room. I've been there done that and was able to find elk that trip but it was more luck then any thing.

If you can't get out to the hunting area to scout an area in the summer then at least give your self a couple days before season to go in a make a game plan. We always set up camp the Wednesday before first rifle and we have always had the area to our selves to scout, set up stands etc....you also get the best camp spots that way :mrgreen:
GetemDuck

Last Name: W

Postby elkaholic » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Scouting before the season is a great way to qualify what I have found on maps, Google Earth, Bing, ect. If I can help it I would rather burn daylight hours before the season checking things out rather than during the hunt.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby Bowhunter » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I would rather scout then hunt, but as a non resident 1000+ miles away that sometimes isn't possible. I look over a lot of maps before and plan on a few days before season to scout. This also helps get aclimated without carrying a gun or bow and all the extra gear needed to hunt. I travel light and cover as much ground as possible.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby cnelk » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I will scout an area on foot to get the general 'lay of the land' after doing my virtual scouting.
Basically make a sweep thru and get a feel
Then, if I deem it 'huntable' I will make a plan to spend some time in there during season, and continue to scout it, expanding the boundaries and obtaining the necessary things to be successful.
cnelk

Last Name: K

Postby Trophyhill » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Either or works for me
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I hunt and scout at the same time. Only real way to get a true idea of what the area is like during hunting. But I put in a lot of map work before.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Scout/Hunt first for a new target area using mapping software, hard copy maps, marking trails/areas of interest, etc., on GPS/maps, and talking to area boots on ground (BOG) folks (FS Ranger District personnel, NF biologist, local sports shop, meat processors, etc.). If at all possible (dependent upon the distance) I will try to perform BOG recon a few times before season arrives. Not normally possible with out of state hunts. All this said, I do a significant amount of hunt/scout during each season, even in an area I've been before. It seems there are always areas I end up checking out either during mid day lulls, or, when normal target areas are not being productive. I gotta say, the hunt/scout method is something I do every year to add some additional adventure to my hunts. Always interesting to see what's over the other aside of XX ridge or, checking to see how far down a draw it is to where there are water seeps and possible wallows.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby elkmtngear » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Same as John, I "scouthunt".

This Season, it will be in areas I'm very familiar with, which certainly helps. ;)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Scouting can take many forms. Much can be done at home, either online, looking at maps or on the telephone. As a tree stand hunter I like to go out, and confirm, or find exact locations to place a stand. It is best to do that before the season. No one wants to spend valuable hunting time trying to find a water hole that is shown on a map, but that has gone dry. By scouting including setting out game cameras, I will be able to return later, set up camp, review my cameras, and then hang stands where I feel I will most likely have success. After that, it is important for the elk to cooperate. Inconsiderate critters! :D
Swede

Postby Lefty » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:Scouting can take many forms. Much can be done at home, either online, looking at maps or on the telephone. ,........ It is best to do that before the season. No one wants to spend valuable hunting time trying to find a water hole that is shown on a map, but that has gone dry. By scouting including setting out game cameras, I will be able to return later, set up camp, review my cameras, and then hang stands where I feel I will most likely have success. After that, it is important for the elk to cooperate. Inconsiderate critters! :D

bingo,..
A lot of homework can be done at home. In my area, do any of the tanks still have water?. Last year I fixed a guzzler the elk stater using it with in days, So that was my evening sit
Do I hunt/scout during season, sure do,
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Guess I'm one of the lucky guys that pretty much knows several hunting areas. So scouting is not required. At least not as much for me as it may be for others. If one area goes bad, I can quickly adapt and move to another well known place.

Everytime I'm in the timber, I'm always looking for elk sign. Even if it is just a picnic with family and friends, I keep my eyes open for elk. Summer camping trips can also turn out to be scouting trips as well. Just don't over do it. I'll explain!

I live in an area that gets over run with hunters during the rifle seasons. There is floresent orange everywhere. Thats great for the local economy. As a matter of fact, it rivals the Christmas shopping season. Many of these hunters show up as much as a week before the season opener to ensure their favorite camping spot and to do some scouting. Problem is, there are so many guys out scouting that before the season opener, the elk feel the pressure and start moving down to safer private land.

All I'm saying is scouting is fine and necessary for many hunters. Just don't over do it to the extent that you are moving the elk. Be smart with your scouting. Elk aren't stupid!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby stringunner » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 15]

We do both. We have found many a new spots during the season. We found one last year second week that my dad ended up tagging out on 4 days later.

I also spend hours each off season on google earth, etc. which I then compare to topo maps, mark these on my gps and then put boots on the ground prior to the season to verify what I have been looking at is in fact there and/or going to be a good spot. I try to make 3 scouting trips through the spring and summer and always focus on new areas at least one of those three trips so as to keep building my knowledge and expanding my hunting range in the area that we hunt.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Like WW, I hunt an area that is heavily hunted. It is also scouted a lot, mostly on weekends for about a month before the season opens. It is unfortunate that many of those out scouting, are also bugling to help locate bulls. Along with calling, they are driving every where they can. These hunters are both educating and running off the elk, so they are just making getting an elk a much more difficult problem. Of coarse they blame the game commission for their hunting woes, but they make a lot of their own problems. If you scout early, there is no need to see the elk, unless you are looking for one individual. Even then slip in and out without being detected. B&C and P&Y cannot measure the I.Q. of your elk. There is no bonus for getting the smartest elk in the country, so please don't educate them.
Swede

Postby MT_Nate » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 17]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:I hunt and scout at the same time. Only real way to get a true idea of what the area is like during hunting. But I put in a lot of map work before.

I agree with John on this one. Too many times I've located elk 'barnyards' with fresh sign during the summer that I'm sure will hold tons of elk during the rut or later rifle seasons. Then I spend to much time in the area in September only to find the same "old" sign I found 2-,3-, and 4-weeks previous. Obviously, the best means to lock onto a solid rut spot is during the rut itself.

I'm always looking for sign when I'm out...can't help it (like I'm sure others are)...but I've wisened-up to to the fact that each group of elk tend to have their favorite spots in Summer, in September, and post-rut. In the jungles of NW Montana, if each of these areas are more than 3-4 miles from one another, you'll be hard pressed to find them unless you've witnessed the patterns (hear, see and smell elk).
MT_Nate

Postby Indian Summer » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I guess it goes without saying that the more you know about the area itself the better off you'll be. Once a hunter decides to call an area home it will be several years before he or she has glimpsed enough pieces of the puzzle to start to see the big picture. The key word there is years. Going to an area for a week in advance is a great idea. But it's not going to make that much of a difference and likely won't be worth the time or money.

Once you now an area the same is true & scouting is more of a luxury or for fun than it is productive. Like was said above it doesn't really help to know where the elk were last month. Once you really do know where they are it might be best to steer clear until it is actually time to hunt. That's why as an outfitter it was always an odd question to answer when inevitably clients who are all excited would ask "have you been out scouting?" What can I say? My whole life is a never ending scouting trip especially when I'm hunting.

If you have never been there just grill the maps and Google earth. When I say grill I mean until you go cross eyed looking at contour lines! Look at them until you can close your eyes and see the place. Know it well enough so that when the time comes you aren't like a complete stranger and can come up with hunt plans once you do get there and contact elk. You'll be fine.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby easeup » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 19]

cheer up NR hunters....I know we are all too far away to ever get any real scouting in so we default to hunt /scout /hunt.
Now days with the net, you have GE and digital mapping services, hunting forums, and all sort of resources at your fingers.
they help alot...if you compare it to the old days without the connectivity we have now.
easeup

Postby planebow » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 20]

[quote="Indian Summer"]I guess it goes without saying that the more you know about the area itself the better off you'll be. Once a hunter decides to call an area home it will be several years before he or she has glimpsed enough pieces of the puzzle to start to see the big picture. The key word there is years. Going to an area for a week in advance is a great idea. But it's not going to make that much of a difference and likely won't be worth the time or money.

I quess that I hunt and scout. Have been going to the same area for the last several years. Just this last year some of the pieces started to fall into place. Hope to add more pieces to the puzzle this year. I will admit that the first year was all a learning expereance without much success.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby JimKirk » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 21]

i find promising spots on maps then go out and have a look. in new mexico, find water, find elk. find the cows and a person can find the bulls in sept. also during hunting season I find new and promising spots. the elk I find now will be there in early sept since its still pretty much summer patterns. It totally different for the resident verses non resident hunter and really no comparison unless you are a non resident that knows the area from years of hunting. the only thing that can foul up animals I've found is if a new person arrives in the hunting season and spooks the animals then or sets up camp where they should be hunting.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk