Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

i might sit out this elk season.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

i might sit out this elk season.

Postby pointysticks » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 1]

i hunt elk with my brother. some others may come along, but the common denominator is my brother. an elk goes down, it just wouldnt be the same without the other brother there for the first high-five and awkward "man-hug" ;)

this year he is going in for shoulder surgery. the doc says he will not be ready sept to pull back a bow. maybe, but most likely no.

nov texas roundup and "free" deer hunt may be our first go at it. roundup some cattle, brand them, do bad things to their boy-parts..and we get to hunt. one fall turkey and one buck. free except the state cost.

this blows, but i want my brother to have healthy shoulders. he just told me as we drove him to the airport. oh well.

i'll spend my resources on Cali deer as well..and AZ squirrels.

go get em..elknutters!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: i might sit out this elk season.

Postby Trophyhill » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I would love to hunt with my brothers but they don't hunt. That being said there is nothing as gratifying as putting in the work and putting an elk on the ground solo. Hope you change your mind
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Indian Summer » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

No no no! As long as the doc says he can lift an elk call and a beer I see no reason why he wouldn't go to elk camp. Tell him he can also lift your spirits without doing further damage. Sounds like you need it. I hunt with a few others but it doesn't hold a candle to hunting with my brother so I feel your pain for sure.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Wonder how he'd feel if he knew you'll be missing season because of him? Go hunting, make him happpy, and give him a reason to mend quicker!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Camp coordinator! Bro is in charge of the camp, tracking hunt progress, and really head chef and bottle washer. I'd do it if I couldn't hunt for a year and was recovering.. Ask him if he want to go even if he can't hunt.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby easeup » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 6]

all of the above is right on mr.pointystick!!!
easeup

Postby JGH » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Indian Summer nailed it. I got nothing.

"lift a call or a beer"... LOL. :lol: :lol:
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby dotman » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Just cause he can't hunt doesn't mean he can't go on the hunt and be a packer/tracker/caller and enjoy in the hunt.
dotman

Postby BMF11 » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Seems like Indian Summer did Nail it! I'm fortunate enough to go on my elk hunt this year as a newbie with my brother! And that awkward brother manhug would mean SUCCESS and I'm hoping for just that! I do ALOT of solo deer hunting as does my brother 1500miles away. I enjoy the gratification of the solo hunt, but not nearly as much as when I can share a hunt (successful or not) with family or great friends. Our time here is limited enough, don't pass on the season.
BMF11

First Name: Brady

Postby Indian Summer » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 10]

The verdict is???
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Have your brother degrade himself and use a crossbow.
My doc offers a handicap permit to most of his archers
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I'm with the above as well. Now let's expose the "never die" elk hunting spirit! (grin) I know your brother would agree!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby pointysticks » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 13]

opps.

here is the the situation. when my brother and i both drew tags, his friends..mostly this one nice family, came and helped. it was a huge benefit when we both dropped horse sized creatures. we packed out in one move. ugly but effective.

well, one guy that was with us called. he drew Valles Caldera!! i think we are going with him to repay the favor. nobody from that original group is in shape enough to be any help. (i'm not that confident in the hunters physical abilities).

anyways, we put the offer on the table. lets see how this plays out. i will be stoked to be at elky ground zero. i've heard the area is stunning..almost magical.

anyone know how many non-hunters a hunter can bring along to help? i read the regs and it was silent about it.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Bowhunter » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 14]

You need to go even if you are helping someone else. I drew a muzzy tag this year but plan to go a week early to help another elk hunter. I would gladly help someone else if I was unable to hunt. Just being in the mountains is what its all about.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H