Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

"Letting the situation/encounter develope"

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

"Letting the situation/encounter develope"

Postby Trophyhill » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 1]

"Letting the situation develope"

Most "Elknuts" are familiar with the phrase. Can you give some examples of what this means in a real life hunting scenario?
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Re: "Letting the situation/encounter develope"

Postby Swede » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I believe this is a very serious problem that plagues elk hunters, especially the younger ones. They feel they need to be aggressive all the time. Not so. A good example is where you started thrashing a bush or something soon after you heard a bull growl. Why did the bull growl? You said he had no idea you were around, so it fits he growled at something else. What? What was the reason he growled? Where was the animal he growled at? Size up the situation first when the bull is giving you opportunity. It may be just me, but I would never expose my position is a situation like that. Like you said: Let the situation develop first, then act accordingly.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby easeup » 06 16, 2013 •  [Post 3]

is this thread going to develope?
easeup

Postby Da White Shoe » 06 16, 2013 •  [Post 4]

What this means to me is... you need to have patients when trying to call elk to you.

If you hear a bull bugle on his own, are you one of the 9 out of 10 hunters that tends to answer him immediately, without thinking?
It can work out sometimes, but it's usually a big mistake.
It all comes down to position and the first thing you should be thinking is... do I have good position on this bull.
Getting in position on a bull can be described as... having the wind right, being close enough, having good shooting lanes
and being in a place where the terrain allows for a bull to feel safe in coming to you.
The wind is a no-brainer, but keep in mind that he must not be able to easily circle to get your scent... he will, if he can.

How close is close enough is debatable... 200 yards is usually too far with a herd bull. I've had a lone bull come from 800 yards... you have to be ready and waiting to kill him... instead of on your feet, moving toward him. This can be tricky. When the bull busts you, you'll quickly know what too close actually was. :D

Shooting lanes can be tough. You usually have to take what you can get, but... whatever you do, plant yourself in front of something, rather than behind it.
Make it easy for the bull to come to you. Trying to call a bull from a long distance or across heavy blow-downs, a steep draw or a big clearing is usually futile.

In situations where you don't have these things... being able to quickly do what it takes to get in an advantageous position will usually decide the outcome of an encounter. This is where knowing your area is a huge advantage.

If the bull has no idea you are there, for Gods sake, shut up and get in position before you make a sound!
Calling as you move toward a bull is probably the number one reason a guy doesn't get a shot at him.
If I'm by myself and a bull answers my call, the first thing I do is shut up until I feel I have position on him.
The second thing I do is... try to get some idea of what kind of bull I'm dealing with.
Is it a lone bull? Is it a herd bull? Is it a herd bull that has a satellite bull or two messing with him?
Knowing what kind of bull you have in front of you should be the determining factor in how you call to him.
"Letting the situation develop" is how you find that out.
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 17, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Allowing a situation to develop implies not giving up on your calling setup & leaving too early. This is especially so when elk are being quiet. (no rutting action) The calling scenarios can vary according to an elks activity or lack of it.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 17, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Exactly! This is especially true for early season/silent calling sessions. I give each location at least a full hour to develope.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics