Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Unit 52 New Mexico

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Unit 52 New Mexico

Postby bowgy » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I'm going to be hunting unit 52 NM. solo this year and was wondering if anyone has any information they would be willing to share. On the mytopo map it looks like many of the roads are closed in the southern half of the unit. I'm not trying to find out where your secret spot is just info about the roads and the crowds etc.
bowgy

Re: Unit 52 New Mexico

Postby buglmin » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 2]

dont know if youre aware of this or not, but part of 52 is still burning...i know some of the fire is in the wilderness area, and they are letting it burn....
expect more hunters then you think cause of the landowner tags in unit 52. I do know that a lot of roads are accessed by four wheeler. If you can, go as deep into the wilderness as you can, and get as far away from the roads as you can. Stay away from the private property, cause youll never call a bull off the private land. As soon as the elk feel the pressure, they head to the private lands...
buglmin

Re: Unit 52 New Mexico

Postby bowgy » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I just checked with the forest service and the southwest coordination center for fires and they don't have any information on a fire in unit 52.
bowgy