Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Woes of Internet Scouting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Backcountry » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Rant of sorts. My typical spot I normally hunt every September has been great. Relatively low numbers of elk but very large bulls. I have been into three bulls of 320" or better in the past two seasons (two confirmed 338 and 345). The spot is absolutely overrun with people (and an increasing Hmong presence), though. I get into the elk often but the amount of people is just ruining the "experience" for me. This, along with the fact that I just bought a house that is further away from the spot yet has me looking into new areas.

I have been bouncing my head off the computer over maps for weeks now. I find promising spots, but they are pushing 5+ miles in and I am a 98%+ solo hunter. I know the elk are in there but its just too far in, I think? I know the typical stuff to look for: water, food, cover, benches, north slopes, etc... But often times it can be difficult to decipher exactly what you are looking at on GE or something similar.

What is everyone's typical e-scouting walk through? Find a good looking spot and then just pound on the boot leather until you find what your looking for? Is 5 miles really far in for one guy or do I need to man up?
Backcountry

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barnett

Re: Woes of Internet Scouting

Postby wawhitey » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 2]

five miles as the crow flies turns into quite a bit more than 5 miles when youre on foot going up and down in elevation and altering course to get around obstacles
wawhitey

Postby Trophyhill » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 3]

wawhitey wrote:five miles as the crow flies turns into quite a bit more than 5 miles when youre on foot going up and down in elevation and altering course to get around obstacles

Sounds good to me. Won't have to worry about getting over run by hunters:)
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Backcountry » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 4]

wawhitey wrote:five miles as the crow flies turns into quite a bit more than 5 miles when youre on foot going up and down in elevation and altering course to get around obstacles

I took that into consideration.
Backcountry

Postby Swede » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I find that after looking at some area on maps or GE, I just have to go there and see it. Like you I just don't get everything I need by just GE scouting. I found what I thought would be a challenging area in a deep canyon. I figured it was big enough to weed out most hunters. Well after stopping at the gate that crossed the road up to the canyon rim, I was discouraged. I walked in anyway to see what things looked like from the canyon rim. After walking a few miles I arrived at where I could look down into the canyon and thought "elk have a nice life". There was no way I could pack an elk that far. The canyon was as tough as it appeared on the satellite coverage, but the road block was a total deal breaker for me.
I have gone to places that looked good on GE, but when I arrived I found the level of human activity, (not always hunters) just ruined it.
Internet scouting is great, but it has its limitations.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Backcountry » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I find that after looking at some area on maps or GE, I just have to go there and see it. Like you I just don't get everything I need by just GE scouting. I found what I thought would be a challenging area in a deep canyon. I figured it was big enough to weed out most hunters. Well after stopping at the gate that crossed the road up to the canyon rim, I was discouraged. I walked in anyway to see what things looked like from the canyon rim. After walking a few miles I arrived at where I could look down into the canyon and thought "elk have a nice life". There was no way I could pack an elk that far. The canyon was as tough as it appeared on the satellite coverage, but the road block was a total deal breaker for me.
I have gone to places that looked good on GE, but when I arrived I found the level of human activity, (not always hunters) just ruined it.
Internet scouting is great, but it has its limitations.

That's what I was figuring on. I just need to learn my true limitations. I consider myself in great shape and have no problem doing 8-12 mountain miles a day. But with a #70+ load??

I think a hike to a high point to do some glassing is in order. Might have some late nights of bugling coming up this September as well. Going to have to go old fashion.
Backcountry

Postby wideangle » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 7]

When I internet scout public land I now call the land managers to ask what are the cattle allotments in that area.
Cattle can get into the back country easy enough on unused roads and old trails.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby Huntography » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Do you hunt solo by choice?

If not, it sounds like all you need is a buddy or 2 to hunt with. Then you can have the support needed to pack out an elk.

Rudy
Rudy
Documentary Filmmaker, Huntography

Filming America's Hunters, One at a Time.
http://www.huntography.com/
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby Backcountry » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Huntography wrote:Do you hunt solo by choice?

If not, it sounds like all you need is a buddy or 2 to hunt with. Then you can have the support needed to pack out an elk.

Rudy

Rudy,

By choice and due to the fact that I have not found someone that has a hunting style that meshes with mine be it physically, calling, etc...

I have a few guys I plan on spending some time with this summer so ill see how that goes. But, I agree. That will open a lot of avenues.
Backcountry

Postby Huntography » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Yeah, finding someone who shares your hunting style and passion not to mention physical condition is not easy.

Rudy
Rudy
Documentary Filmmaker, Huntography

Filming America's Hunters, One at a Time.
http://www.huntography.com/
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby sreekers » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Trophyhill wrote:

Sounds good to me. Won't have to worry about getting over run by hunters:)

Agreed, build in pack out time.
The More Than Memories Series, helping new elk hunters be successful:

http://seekoutside.com/buzz/blog/
sreekers
Site Sponsor

First Name: Scott

Postby Indian Summer » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 12]

5 miles of trail or gated road and 5 miles of following elk trails or bushwhacking are 2 entirely different things. Plus it all depends on what's going on. A mile or 2 can be enough. If 5 miles isn't far enough I'll go somehwere else if I don't want to go that far. You can certainly find hunting closer to a parking spot than that if you want to.

Question: You moved from where to where? Are you hunting the Bitterroot? If so how far up or down the valley?

Topos are every bit as important as GE or ariel photos.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Backcountry » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Indian Summer wrote:5 miles of trail or gated road and 5 miles of following elk trails or bushwhacking are 2 entirely different things. Plus it all depends on what's going on. A mile or 2 can be enough. If 5 miles isn't far enough I'll go somehwere else if I don't want to go that far. You can certainly find hunting closer to a parking spot than that if you want to.

Question: You moved from where to where? Are you hunting the Bitterroot? If so how far up or down the valley?

Topos are every bit as important as GE or ariel photos.

Your right, I should have clarified. The 5 miles is a pack trail. Designated wilderness. I am living near highway twelve.
Backcountry

Postby quarbles » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 14]

can you bike in at least a portion?
quarbles

First Name: jon
Last Name: travis

Postby GhostStalker » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I also would recommend biking in. Get a game cart and it will also help you with the pack out once your back on the trail.
GhostStalker

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: R

Postby Indian Summer » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Lolo isn't too far north to hit the East Fork. I'd suggest going back there during bow season and with a little effort you shouldn't have a problem finding a place to call your own. If you go 3 miles in down there you won't see anyone. Stay away from the 4 wheeler trail up Martin Creek. There are people up there as well as up Lick Creek.

I'd look for a good feed slope where there are sure to be cows with their calves. Then find the bench about 3/2 or 3/4 of the way up the mountain that connects the heads of all the water sources. There will be food, water, and some cooler temps up there. GE will show you the feed and your topos will reveal the benches elk like to call home in the Bitterroots. Make a milk run from one spring or stream head to another and eventually you'll find them.

aw what the heck!..... If you pass up the main East Fork trailhead and take the last trail to the right just before the road dead ends you'll be alone. Sign Creek. It starts out steep and is uphill every step of the way from 5600 to 7600 feet which runs most hunters off. Eventually you'll top out and then drop into a saddle. You could roll the bench to the left at around 7000 ft. if you wanted which is the elevation of the saddle & a great hunt. Ray Charles could tell at a glance of the topo that there will be wallows near the saddle. From there you have the whole head of Sign or you could follow that 7K mark around to Cuba Creek knowing that no matter what you'll hit a trail if you drop out the bottom. Sounds like you're ready to do what it takes to lose the company. Too windy steep and shaky of a trail for any bike or motorcycle or even a game cart. I've never seen a horse up there. The nice thing is it's all down when you're moving elk other than getting out of the saddle. How's that for a tip? ;)

All I ask is let me know how you do up there if you go. There are some monsters in the Pintlars.

Passin' it on........................................................................................................
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Backcountry » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 17]

GhostStalker wrote:I also would recommend biking in. Get a game cart and it will also help you with the pack out once your back on the trail.

All wilderness unfortuneately. No bikes.

Indian Summer wrote:Lolo isn't too far north to hit the East Fork. I'd suggest going back there during bow season and with a little effort you shouldn't have a problem finding a place to call your own. If you go 3 miles in down there you won't see anyone. Stay away from the 4 wheeler trail up Martin Creek. There are people up there as well as up Lick Creek.

I'd look for a good feed slope where there are sure to be cows with their calves. Then find the bench about 3/2 or 3/4 of the way up the mountain that connects the heads of all the water sources. There will be food, water, and some cooler temps up there. GE will show you the feed and your topos will reveal the benches elk like to call home in the Bitterroots. Make a milk run from one spring or stream head to another and eventually you'll find them.

aw what the heck!..... If you pass up the main East Fork trailhead and take the last trail to the right just before the road dead ends you'll be alone. Sign Creek. It starts out steep and is uphill every step of the way from 5600 to 7600 feet which runs most hunters off. Eventually you'll top out and then drop into a saddle. You could roll the bench to the left at around 7000 ft. if you wanted which is the elevation of the saddle & a great hunt. Ray Charles could tell at a glance of the topo that there will be wallows near the saddle. Sounds like you're ready to do what it takes to lose the company. Too windy steep and shaky of a trail for any bike or motorcycle or even a game cart. I've never seen a horse up there. The nice thing is it's all down when you're moving elk other than getting out of the saddle. How's that for a tip? ;)

All I ask is let me know how you do up there if you go. There are some monsters in the Pintlars.

Passin' it on........................................................................................................

Hell of a tip! Much appreciated! I'll let you know if I get in there
Backcountry

Postby no limits » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 18]

wow heck of a guy Indian summer sound like you know the area very well most wouldn't give it up so easy good for you by the way have any tips for Colorado!
no limits

First Name: Arlyn
Last Name: Hamstra

Postby MTLongdraw » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Not to mention the guy is giving information on an area where he owns an outfitting business. This is a prime example of a guy "passing it on." Very generous of you Indian Summer.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty