Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

There's That Smell Again?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

There's That Smell Again?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Just a quick reminder that elk smell. They smell like, well......, they smell like elk. What do elk smell like? They smell similar to a barnyard, especially where they've spent a bit of time, or, are still there . Many times a hunt can be made or broken by our noses. We all know that it's important to work the wind with really any chosen hunting weapon but especially important when bow hunting. Remember that we are a predator when we're out in the elk woods and what do many predators rely on for their quarry? Their snouts.

Just a tip for some of our newer guys/gals. As you work your way through the timber, alder brush, etc., keep your nose into the wind and take immediate notice of the smell of elk ;) It will stand with you in battle.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: There's That Smell Again?

Postby dotman » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Is it only me or does anyone else love the smell of elk?
dotman

Postby wawhitey » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 3]

dotman wrote:Is it only me or does anyone else love the smell of elk?

i certainly do... on the barbeque
wawhitey

Postby cnelk » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 4]

dotman wrote:Is it only me or does anyone else love the smell of elk?

oh yeah... I do

Elk have an aroma even when not in rut.
Last week when I was scouting, I crested a small ridge and the wafting smell of elk hit my nose.
And guess, what... there they were

The smell of elk and seeing them before me as I still hunt has been very productive
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby LckyTylr » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up . . . GAME TIME!!!
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby easeup » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 6]

that smell......it is LOVE , HATE relationship.

I don't like it, but when I get it, It is a welcome aroma.
easeup

Postby elkmtngear » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Always puts my senses on alert...I love it :)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Yogi » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 8]

That smell has helped on more than one occasion. I rarely use elk urine cover scents on any part of my clothing or boots for this reason. I want to make sure it is elk I am smelling and not me. On occasion, I have misted downwind to buy a little time, but honesly think the elk olfactories cannot be fooled it they smell humans. Even in a mix of scents.
Yogi

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Wilkes

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Yep, I too love that smell! More times than not though elk are long gun even though the smell is present & strong. Once in a blue moon elk are nearby after we winded them, but you never know, we still are alerted of their possible presence. (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I am sure we associate the smell of elk with our love of the hunt. It may even remind us of times we were standing over a bull preparing him for a pack out. That said; I am not sure I can tell the difference between the smell of where a few cattle have been and where elk were, on scent alone. I know I have to always look. If you walk out into a meadow and think "there's that smell again", can you tell if you are smelling elk without looking around?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby POk3s » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Swede, I can absolutely tell the difference between cattle and elk. There is a distinct difference. At least to me. Cattle just smell like crap. Elk smell you can almost taste. A more bitter (if you will) of a smell. Once I get in the zone I can even tell the difference between bull elk smell and cow elk smell. Or maybe it's cow in heat and other elk....who really knows but there are different elk scents on pee spots alone. There's also a difference between smelling where a bull has brushed a tree and smelling elk that are right in front of you!
POk3s

Postby Swede » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I believe some people really can tell the difference. You can probably tell the difference between the taste of Coke and Pepsi too. I think I can, but I have to look to be sure.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I use this....

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby RockChucker30 » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Swede, I grew up on a farm and have advanced olfactory capabilities as it applies to identifying the discarded dung from many different species.

I can easily identify the difference between horse, cattle, hog, chicken, and goat smells, and can even tell you if a cow is grass fed or grain fed. :D
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby Orion » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Last season I came upon a spot where a bull had shredded an 8' cedar tree. He tore up every fern and shrub in a ten foot circle around the cedar. He must have peed all over the circle and himself in the process. I walked up on this scene and the smell was powerful. I have always wondered what on earth would cause a dog to roll in whatever stinky thing they can find.....until I walked up on the freshly tilled earth that reeked of bull elk. For some reason I had the almost overwhelming urge to roll in it. For an instant I was thinking of dropping my pack and going full on dirt angel just to get that scent. I came to my senses but for an instant I figured I could stroll into the herd from upwind wearing that smell and a smile.

Can't you smell that smell....

Orion
Orion

Postby elkmtngear » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Orion wrote: For an instant I was thinking of dropping my pack and going full on dirt angel just to get that scent. I came to my senses but for an instant I figured I could stroll into the herd from upwind wearing that smell and a smile. Orion

:lol:

I was sitting a ridgetop treestand one evening...cow calling intermittently. Nothing but silence.

Finally, as I started losing shooting light, I let off a spike squeal. Got an immediate response down the canyon, and about 5 minutes later, bull tops the ridge screaming and grunting, stomping his foot just out of my view. Unfortunately, I was pretty much out of shooting light.

Apparently besides throwing his little tantrum, he was watering the weeds...because when I walked up to where he was, the scent just about knocked me over. Nothing like the smell of elk fresh from the tap ;)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor