Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Things That Can Ruin Your Hunt!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Things That Can Ruin Your Hunt!

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 1]

This is a great subject for all of us to consider as we all do our best to improve our skills & opportunities for the long awaited elk season. Let's try not to have too many limitations & be as versatile as possible, it's up to us to be ready for the challenge & step up to the plate & give it our all. There are many things that can hold ones back from tasting success, in your opinion what are some of those snares & pitfalls that we should be aware of and avoid?

I'll start with being prepared physically, not just to hunt for 7-10 straight days but to also be able & willing to pack one or more elk out in this time period. Too, attitude is huge & always do ones best to possess that don't give up attitude. It's easy to sit at ones PC & feel built up & encouraged towards the upcoming season but it's another thing to maintain that attitude through the slower times when you haven't seen or heard an elk for 3 straight days, it's those times when you have to dig deep & maintain that level of confidence that this day could be the day! (grin)

What are some other thoughts?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Things That Can Ruin Your Hunt!

Postby AmericanBwana » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 2]

JMHO, but don't be so serious about the hunt that you miss the point. For me, I forgot to have fun, enjoy the whole experience.

I have way more fun (and success) since this change. Being stressed out about the hunt didn't get me anything. I go hunting to decompress.

AB
AmericanBwana

First Name: Dana
Last Name: Gertsch

Postby POk3s » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 3]

American, I had to do the same thing. When I was 17 or so I was working so hard and was so mad that I wasn't having any fun. After a while it just kind of dawned on me and I said, "what are you doing. You love doing this more than anything and you're mad up here in the mountains. Nothing should be that big of a deal. Enjoy it. Just enjoy everything". From that day forward I have a lot more fun. The little things don't aggravate me and the experience is always great. Now if I miss or screw up and I knew I shouldn't have I get discouraged for a little but the thought of, "you're in god's country hunting elk, what's there to be mad about" always comes back into my head within a few minutes.

As for ruining a hunt....no TP can do that QUICK!
POk3s

Postby cnelk » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Becoming ill during the hunt.
I always bring a dose of antibiotics to overcome any bugs that may have been waiting to rise up to ruin my hunt.

Also have cold meds along to alleviate any of those symptoms if they should appear
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby easeup » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 5]

POk3s wrote:American, I had to do the same thing. When I was 17 or so I was working so hard and was so mad that I wasn't having any fun. After a while it just kind of dawned on me and I said, "what are you doing. You love doing this more than anything and you're mad up here in the mountains. Nothing should be that big of a deal. Enjoy it. Just enjoy everything". From that day forward I have a lot more fun. The little things don't aggravate me and the experience is always great. Now if I miss or screw up and I knew I shouldn't have I get discouraged for a little but the thought of, "you're in god's country hunting elk, what's there to be mad about" always comes back into my head within a few minutes.

guilty of that one too for years.....there was too much self imposed pressure to be successful.
easeup

Postby elkmtngear » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Paul,
You hit home on two big ones, physical conditioning and attitude!

I've changed hunting partners because of this. I have a great time as much as anyone, but I am primarily up there to kill an elk. I have always had the "never say die" attitude; but elk can make you feel physically and mentally defeated. I'm not coming out of the canyon until the last minute, that's just me!

Weather (extremes) can certainly contribute to the quality of a hunt, but it's never been a dealbreaker. As far as illness goes, I've made a cold virus leave my body by doing elk aerobics for days on end...the virus decides this is no place to live!

Other than that, it takes a lot to ruin a hunt for me, after all, I'm not at work...I'm hunting :D
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Bowhunter » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I too have felt the pressure to harvest an animal. Last year I finally did even though it was a bull calf. He was the largest of the three calves that tagged along with the three cows one evening. The cows stayed out to 45 yds with no clear shot. The calf came to 23 and fed on the grass broadside and open. I knew that I would regret passing on him. I have no regrets of tagging him. He was tastey. After tagging out I hunted for 4 more days calling for my partner and just enjoying being in elk country. This year I drew a muzzy tag so won't be hunting for the whole 3 weeks I usually do. I have plans to go out a week early and call for a fellow elk nut. I hope he can get his first elk while I am helping him. I can't wait.......
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby Bowhunter » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Cnelk..... I hear ya.I bring antbiotics,cold meds,diareha meds, and plenty of pain meds for the sore muscles. I am pretty much prepared for most anything. I would hate to get sick durring the hunt. So far just a sore body is all I have to treat.
Bowhunter

Postby Harmy » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Things that have happened to me:

Slipping on mud/snow and packing my barrel with mud. Had no tools to clean it out. 30 minutes later 4 elk showed all of which within 75 yards. I have seen this happen to others as well. I now carry items to allow me to clean my weapon in the field. It was 4 days later that I finally saw another elk. Very frustrated during that hunt due to my own stupidity in allowing this to happen and not having the ability to deal with it.

Blisters. Not having moleskin.

Not cutting toe nails before a big hike. A knife is not that great of a tool in this situation...

Not ensuring that your partner has all the correct equipment (like a rain jacket).

Partners that are not fit enough to withstand the rigors of elk hunting.

Running out of batteries for headlamp during a night blood trail.

Forgot to carry my knife, once.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Bowhunter » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Harmy... You reminded me of a scouting trip. I was in 1.5 miles and up 2000 ft a day before season. I climbed a few rocky narrow ridges with STEEP drop offs to get there. I saw a few elk feeding in a meadow and made plans for the next day. I stayed a little too long and it got dark with no moon. :shock: I forgot my flashlight. I had a camera and water and my gps. I took a different path back to avoid the steep clifs and made it a good hour later than it should have taken. A GPS is not a good light for hiking. I now have a light even if I plan to be back before dark. Lesson learned.
Bowhunter

Postby Swede » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 11]

1. Impatience. I expect something to happen right now.
2. Ignorance. I am probably stepping on some toes here, and that is not my intent. Some people are totally clueless, but the worst case is the fellow who knows a little and has developed a mind set that he has it all figured out. They just can't understand why things did not go as they thought they should. Ignorance of an area too can be a tough obstacle to overcome. You need more than a view from Google Earth to know an area.
3. Rigid plans. Lack of flexibility, then when something goes wrong, it is someone else's fault. Around here it is ODF&W, or some rude hunter, a demanding partner, etc., etc.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 12]

last year in AZ i got a thorn in the side of my little finger. right next to my nail. i yanked it out with my teeth and kept motoring. that night it was pulsing. i woke up to a green finger nail. it was gross and i could smell it. i gushed it out painfully and scrubbed it clean. i wiped and wiped it with these iodine swabs i carry. the entire trip it hurt, but i could tell it was finally healing. the injury was small, but the lesson was HUGE. it is amazing how small and feeble we are in the backwoods. i could have been sidelined by a splinter.

prepardness is a moving target for me. not so sure i will ever get it down, but i'm trying.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Vanish » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Bowhunter wrote: I forgot my flashlight. I had a camera and water and my gps. I took a different path back to avoid the steep clifs and made it a good hour later than it should have taken. A GPS is not a good light for hiking. I now have a light even if I plan to be back before dark. Lesson learned.

Here's my elk hunting hat: http://www.amazon.com/Panther-Vision-Re ... pd_sim_a_1

That's not the exact one I have, mine was a promo from a fishing trip, but I never have to worry about forgetting my flashlight or headlamp.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby one_elk » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Swede wrote:1. Impatience. I expect something to happen right now.
2. Ignorance. I am probably stepping on some toes here, and that is not my intent. Some people are totally clueless, but the worst case is the fellow who knows a little and has developed a mind set that he has it all figured out. They just can't understand why things did not go as they thought they should. Ignorance of an area too can be a tough obstacle to overcome. You need more than a view from Google Earth to know an area.
3. Rigid plans. Lack of flexibility, then when something goes wrong, it is someone else's fault. Around here it is ODF&W, or some rude hunter, a demanding partner, etc., etc.

I agree with others have said but especially with what Swede wrote and would add that I spend a lot of time around elk in the woods and elk data all year long but I seem to be my own worst enemy, when I get in the woods during hunting seasons, at times I tend to discard or at least ignore all that accumulated knowledge for some hair brained “get successful quick” scheme I concocted at the last minute, which tend to provide me with some good exercise but not much in the way of actual harvest success……….ok so this year I will be more patient…
one_elk

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I used to work with a guy that thought he was the greatest hunter in the world. It got to the point if he didn't get one everyone would get all over him like stink on crap. Just to let him know he wasn't nearly so good as he thought. The pressure was so great to kill that he forgot to stop and ssmell the roses. Don't let yourself fall into that trap!

I suppose I goof up as much as anyone and I'm big enough to take all the blame. After all, I hunt by myself. But the one thing that does get to me is when some dude with a squeeze call (OK I'll say it, Hoochie Mama) comes in to a setup where I have a bull coming in and he starts pumping that dang thing 90 miles per hour trying to draw the bull away from me. It's happened more than once! I'm not sure if they think it is two bulls getting it on or if they are just horning in on me.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Being prepared for the worst!

And for what might happen. simple things like antacids, Tylonol PM, bandaids, tweezers, and at the truck all the extra clothes and gear you might need, a cooler with cold drinks and fresh fruit, a way to make hot chocolate,
Ive mentioned it a number of times I like to sleep comfortable, it all improves the hunt.
If the weather is way too bad I always have some books and scriptures along to pass time enjoyably in the tent

Last year just driving down the road my original rim on my truck broke. I had a spare. but I got to thinking. Ive gotten two flats a number of times in my life, some of those times I had a 2nd spare, others I didnt. this time I didnt. It really made me think how isolated I am, 2-8 hour walk to a road where I might see someone on the weekend.

So far the closet thing to ruining my hunt. I was setting up on what looked like a great chance at a big bull. 11:30 most of the cows were bedded and the bull was making the rounds.
Three morons were using open pipes on their ATVs to rally elk by jumping them with the noise then following them.

So far none of the little things have put a damper in my hunts,enough toilet paper, no cacti, stayed dry, always healthy enough so far. I did forget my quiver once which wasted an hour some days were awfully hot in the afternoon.
So far so good ;)
Lefty

First Name: Dennis

Postby elkaholic » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I had a buddy that got into his camp late one night during a hard snow storm. In the frenzy of getting camp set up he lost track of where he unloaded some of his gear and he ended up running over his bow box. Broke the limb pocket on his bow. :cry: He didn't have a spare bow either and his season was over before it even started...
:o
After hearing that I make it a practice to take two bows on all my expeditions in case something happens. Also I bought a portable ratchet bow press to take along in case any minor things (string leech, Peep) need to be fixed while in the field.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby elkmtngear » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Good stuff elkaholic, that would truly suck!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Having the homestead in order prior to departing for a 5, 10, 14 day hunt is a big one for me. I've seen too many guys have to "head back" because something went wrong that was preventable with some good PMCS prior to departure. Once I'm out, I don't want to worry about anything except hunting ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wideangle » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Phantom16 wrote:Having the homestead in order prior to departing for a 5, 10, 14 day hunt is a big one for me. I've seen too many guys have to "head back" because something went wrong that was preventable with some good PMCS prior to departure. Once I'm out, I don't want to worry about anything except hunting ;)

Yes this is a biggie. All my responsibilities are taken care of before I leave. I have a permanent list of contractors for my wife to call if something goes wrong, for example, plumbing or electrical. Grass is cut hedges are trimmed etc. I make my appointments well in advance of my hunt like dental. I get the truck looked over too, brakes, cooling and belts. I want zero distractions in elk camp.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby quarbles » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 21]

everything tippity top at home with the wife and kids otherwise my mind is preoccupied. the "provider" needs to hand the baton over to the "predator" otherwise i'm just armed camping thinking about home......
quarbles

First Name: jon
Last Name: travis

Postby wapitibowman » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Not enough water or food.

Last year we didn't plan on staying over night in an area. Myself and 1 hunting buddy packed enough food for us, but our 3rd partner hardly had any food. We split it 3 ways. We were high on a ridge and had elk bedded down to hunt in the morning. There is always water in this canyon. We made the sneak the next morning, busted cows and it was over. We dropped 500-1000 feet in elevation to the creek for water, but no go. We climbed back up to 8500-8900 feet just thirsty as could be. We had elk down the other side, but just didn't feel it wise (smart or safe) to make the decent. Maybe it was a mental breakdown, but I didn't feel good about it and found our later my buddy was exhausted and couldn't have done it. I will never go without enough fuel and water. Hope this never happens again. I have been kicking myself all year for that one.

Wapitibowman
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby Indian Summer » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Putting pressure on yourself... hunting with the wrong mindset... not in shape.... not enough essentials. While these are all valid I think the worst is a partner who is going through these things. You have control over your own preparedness or frame of mind but it's not fun to turn a hunt into a nightly counseling session trying to turn a bad partner around. Good partners can bring each other through anything. Therefore, in my book there's nothing that can ruin a hunt quicker than a crappy partner! It's almost a guaranteed recipe for disaster.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 24]

wapitibowman wrote:,...our 3rd partner ,.....

bad partners
My father-in law has hunted a few times with guys that were not hunt savy, or outdoor mentally tough.
One freaked while they were together in a snow cat and ran blindly in a snow storm, he had to track the guy down and breck into a shepards shack.

Another time while hunting with 2 others they had two sheep, wind and snow hit them hard and they didnt have gear to stay the night. One fellow argued and argued they were going wrong, Dumped his head and gun and headed down hill. My FIL really thought he would be making a call to his widow. He got the other fellow off the hill. And by chance the first guy ran into another camp and they took care of him. And got him to their tail head
Lefty

First Name: Dennis

Postby pointysticks » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 25]

wapiti..nice story to hear!

i climbed up and over 11,000 feet on a deer hunt once. (going again this august). we saw alot of deer going in, but the herd was on no hunt land. we cross the boundary..and nothing.

so we waited and hunting lightly. eventually the herd started showing up. about day 5. one guy brought a HUGE bag of M&M's, ramen noodles, and those small cups of microwave mac and cheese. this guy is lean and mean. he looks like a MMA fighter because he 2% body fat stuff. he was starving. by then he had been raiding my food. we were soon both starving. we had to cut the hunt short and head out. i learned a lot about my friend that trip. he is still a friend, but "i know". (no gas money either!) hahahah.. i try not to be petty..i try. whatever.

i gotta be honest. it was this trip that taught me the importance of physical preparedness. i crossed the line from young man that could feel no pain to "ouch! what is that?" i almost didnt make the climb. my buddy hiked back down and took my pack from me and carried it the last way up. saved my butt.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Z Barebow » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Develop a plan B, C, D & E,,, at home. This should be based upon your research, maps, etc. When you are in the field and plan A isn't going so well, it is easy to look at the country and say "I don't know where to go from here" and give up. Having alternates give you options and the new scenery might invigorate you.

Cutting a bowstring with a broadhead. (My biggest fear). I have a bow press (Bowmaster) in my tool kit, a shot in string/buss cable and I carry a spare bow also.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby welka » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Over hunting an area. Seems like we always figure out that we hunted a location 1 day too long about a day too late! One other item that can be a bummer r(not necessarily ruin a hunt) is to forget the small bottle of Jagermeister for the celebration after the shot!! Good luck
welka

Postby lang » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Never been sick enough to quit, but have had family members with serious health issues put a halt on it. My wife has a knack for getting sick during seasons. End of May I left two active bear baits on my last day to hunt to play the good husband. I am better at that during bear season than elk, and has just about cost my marriage a couple of times. I have told her multiple times she has 335 days to get sick, not sure what the problem is.
lang

First Name: Bryan

Postby Trophyhill » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 29]

My buddy decided to come and visit camp one day on my first elk hunt. It was nice to break the silence after 10 days of talking to myself. Then the unthinkable happened. When I wasn't looking he drew my bow and derailed it in effect dry firing it and breaking the limbs. It was 6 hours to the bow shop and 3 days til I was back in the elkwoods to finish my hunt. I don't go without a backup bow now.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby elkflunky » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 30]

*DELETED*
elkflunky

First Name: allan
Last Name: bossel

Postby planebow » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 31]

Two years ago I had been hunting for a week when my hunting partner showed up for the last week. The next morning as we started our hunt my partner twisted his ankle 15 minutes into the hunt. He did manage to hobble around for the whole week instead of going home. When he got home he went to the doctor and found out that he broke a piece of bone that held a tendon which was good as the bone healed up.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby navet » 10 03, 2013 •  [Post 32]

Just sending this to the top. I am leaving in 2 weeks for CO. and trying to get more opinions on this subject while the hunts are fresh in your minds.
navet

First Name: nathan
Last Name: douglas

Postby Elkduds » 10 03, 2013 •  [Post 33]

1. Gear failure. Bring spares, tools, duct tape, zip ties. You can even duct tape a blister and keep on hunting.

2. Vehicle problems. Preventive maintenance, and a credit card.

3. Wrong hunting partner(s). I prefer hunting alone to putting up with malcontents. I should get a satellite panic button.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 10 03, 2013 •  [Post 34]

I answered this thread back in June. I have never really had a "ruined" elk hunt. There are things that contribute to greater difficulty and there are reasons we do not get our quarry.
One problem I never thought too much about before is having a friend who is not prepared and/or needs to return home early. Assess before you leave, whether your friend is going to go all the way, or are they just there when it is easy and until they miss mama. Will they be calling home and coming up with any excuse to return. I guess you should also yourself if your friend really has a good hunting partner, or are you going to want to throw in the towel when, as Elknut said, you are going for days without seeing or hearing elk?

Edit: It is interesting that I was writing this while Elkduds was posting. We must have seen similar problems.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 03, 2013 •  [Post 35]

POPCYCLES!! Yep that's right, POPCYCLES!

My loving wife found a super deal on POPCYCLES. Now, both freezers and both refrigerators which have big freezer compartments are all topped off with POPCYCLES!!!! Now there is no room for an elk. Does it look like I'm shouting when I type the word POPCYCLE?!?!?!

!@#$%^&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Broken arrow » 10 03, 2013 •  [Post 36]

After this season my first by the way. Rain pants and a cheap poncho or even a trash bag would have been better. Wet pants socks and boots suck! If it's raining hard enough for a rain jacket most chances you'll be hunkered down not hunting and just something to keep you dry till it lets up is all you need.
Broken arrow

Postby quarbles » 10 03, 2013 •  [Post 37]

hunting partner talked himself out of hunting 3 days in. not just hunting that spot, but hunting in general. everything, from worrying that he was needed at home to unfounded bear paranoia to 'just wasting our time out here' to being tired or whatevers. pretty much any excuse to go home. we had some very positive activity at night, thought the next day was going to be an adventure..... partner bails. i had tried to remind him why we were there, that we had planned this bit for months, that you can't get experience from a couch, but he flat out quit.
says he thinks raising chickens might be more his thing. "no hard feelings."
what's a guy to do..... can't make him stay. all the effort and time spent preparing circling the bowl because i put all my eggs in one basket.... t'was a quiet 7k walk out of there.
education is expensive but lesson learned though.... never put all your eggs in one basket.
quarbles

First Name: jon
Last Name: travis

Postby LckyTylr » 10 03, 2013 •  [Post 38]

Here's one that perplexes me, maybe some of you guys can help me figure out a way to hunt around this one.

The last few days of the season this year . . . I got WET ! ! !

I don't mean a little wet, I mean Soaked all day every day for nearly 4 days. When the rain stopped for a few minutes, we could get a bull to pipe up, but as soon as the rain started back up, it all went silent and the bulls snuck back under a tree. Very frustrating as we never had enough time to get a bull worked up, out of his bed, on his way in and within range before the rain started back up. When it wasn't the rain keeping them quiet and in bed, it was the wind.

So, what's the best tactic when it's solid rain for days on end?

We were walking ridges, snooping bedding areas, calling basins . . . covering miles and calling all cars. We were getting responses when the rain held but never got enough to get into position and get a good location on anything.

What's a better tactic for rain and wind?
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Swede » 10 03, 2013 •  [Post 39]

lckytylr: I have found that just watching the wind direction and slowly, watchfully walking through the forest works. I don't call, and since the forest floor is very quiet, I do not worry too much about noise. I stick to cover and stop and look a lot. At times I have been able to walk close enough for a shot. The elk are often just standing in one position looking down.
Swede

Postby NebrCatMan » 10 03, 2013 •  [Post 40]

My buddy and I have hunted together for 3 years. We hunted hard and loved every second. This year he wanted to bring his 18 soon to be 19 year old son. I thought ok........take a kid hunting is a good thing. But this one was missing mommy and his puppy love girlfriend in a day or too. Complained all the time. His dad was doing his best to help his son keep his mind off of home..... but we cut our hunt short and headed home. I would do it over again but the kid would have to just suffer the next time!!!!!
NebrCatMan

First Name: Johnny
Last Name: Barta

Postby Lark Bunting » 10 04, 2013 •  [Post 41]

As a first year elk hunter (second year hunting total but rabbits and squirrels last year really don't count) I think the two lessons my son and I learned were:
1, Hunt where the animals are. Should be obvious but for being on public land with ATV's, campers, people shooting guns...we had to move to a quieter spot.

2, Learn our hand gestures better... My son is 11, not old enough to hunt yet but wanted to be out there every second possible with me. In preparations he would listen to the elk bugles from the internet and emulate the sounds perfectly. In other words, I had my own personal caller this season! Sadly, on our last weekend of elk season we had spotted a cow and a bull on top of a mountain roughly 300 yards away. We moved up about 100 yards and he stayed behind me to call as I moved on further up. As he was calling I turned to give him a thumbs up for what a great job he was doing as the cow was coming down the hillside to his calf bleats. Well, he thought I was telling him to move up the mountain...as soon as he moved the cow and bull spooked over the top of the ridge and out of site and we never located them again.

I can't wait until next year when he'll be old enough to have his own OTC tag. I hope to be able to spook the first animal he gets close too...just like he did for me. j/k, he's going to make a wonderful hunting partner! :mrgreen:
Lark Bunting

First Name: Tom
Last Name: S

Postby BrentLaBere » 10 07, 2013 •  [Post 42]

Extreme snow storms.....
Attachments
Snow.jpg
Snow.jpg (111.73 KiB) Viewed 10181 times
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere