Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

physical conditioning

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

physical conditioning

Postby bnsafe » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I went scouting today and had to climb a fairly vertical hill several hundred feet at roughly 9500 feet. now I to cardio for an hour 3 times a week and lift 3 times a week, but I could only go for about 50 yds then would have to stop for a breather. do you guys do that or am I just still out of shape.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

physical conditioning

Postby RockChucker30 » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 2]

That's not uncommon. What kind of cardio are you doing? Steady state cardio is good for overall health and for endurance, but if you want gains in wind and climbing then mix in some HIIT.

Specifically, hill sprints and tabata intervals of plyometric exercises will help to increase your VO2 max which will increase your ability to keep pushing on those hill climbs in thin air.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

physical conditioning

Postby Slim jim » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 3]

The same thing happens to me and I do some pretty hardcore cardio. That is why in June-Aug each year, I throw on a loaded pack once a week and hike 7-10miles at high altitude to be ready for scouts and hunts.
Slim jim

First Name: Jimmy
Last Name: Tippetts

Re: physical conditioning

Postby quarbles » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 4]

you prob'ly just need to work on training that different metabolic pathway required for said output. hill sprints, sled drags, car push. give yourself a set recovery time, repeat. the effort gets easier and your recovery will quicken. heavy swings, heavy slams, powercleans, things that work your posterior chain in an explosive 'sprint like' (balls out) manner. make sure you have good form otherwise you will suffer. box jumps coupled with anything else. burpees can be quite taxing when combined with other movements. dynamic movement of higher intensity in shorter periods. if you are too much on the endurance side of things then power will be an issue. same vice versa.
what kind of lifts? sets x reps?
quarbles

First Name: jon
Last Name: travis

Postby elkmtngear » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 5]

It takes a little time for me to acclimate to that altitude...I notice myself kinda struggling for the first day, then I'm good.

It kinda bugged me at first, but now I just realize what it is, and pace myself through it ;)

Like a buddy of mine used to say "Why you breathin' so hard...theres no oxygen up here anyway"! :mrgreen:
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Pop-r » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Hey,Rockchucker, elaborate if you don't care please.
Pop-r

Postby wideangle » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 7]

One strategy I use besides cardio specific and leg strength exercises (squats/deadlifts) is keeping my own body weight low.
I try to adhere to the standards of the professional cycling teams. 2.1 pounds for inch of height. Admittedly low.
It is pointless for me to buy expensive ultralight gear pack gear if I am not lean myself.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

physical conditioning

Postby RockChucker30 » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Pop-r,

VO2 max is your body's ability to transport and use oxygen. Increasing VO2 Max is quickest with HIgh Intensity Interval Training. Hill sprints are great, the steeper the better. Tabata intervals are short bursts of ultra-intense exercise with built in breaks. A tabata follows a 20 seconds on 10 off pattern repeated for 8 cycles which is 4 minutes. 4-5 tabatas for a total of 16-20 minutes will give you a good workout.

Exercises like jumping squats, jumping lunges, burpees, 180 switch pickups are all really good for tabatas.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby bnsafe » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I usually do 30 on a tm at 15 degrees and 4.5 mph. then I go to the elliptical for 15 and push it, then to the bike for 15 and push it. I made it up ok, but I was debating on how important it was, and I think I wouldn't do it if I had to everyday of elk season. that hill is straight up, like most of em here. not sure I need to go all the way though, there are benches every so often and a lot of elk sign on them.
bnsafe

Postby mtnmutt » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Do the Manitou Springs Incline every 2-3 weeks. This web site is a little out of date. The trail no longer crosses private property. Me and the 100s of other daily hikers were "trespassers" until all the entities made it all public land on February 1, 2013. Many athletes will train on this trail.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com/hikin ... ncline.htm

Newer web site
http://www.manitouincline.net/main.htm

I can climb anything after doing the incline a few times in the summer. The steepest section is a 50 degree slope.

Use trail running shoes for the incline. Do not use hiking boot or shoes. They are too heavy. Do not walk/hike down the incline, only up. Hike/run down Barr Trail (Trail to top of Pikes Peak)

For a greater workout, when you get to the top of the incline continue to go up Barr Trail until you have had enough and then run down Barr trail. Do this 4-6 times this summer and you are good to go on opening day.

Go early morning before 7 am in warm months. The sun will cook you.

First time up, take the halfway point bailout that has Barr Trail right next to it. Good to do the halfway point bailout if your knee(s) gives out. I do the halfway point bailout when my left knee is not working that day or if I am short on time. I run down Barr Trail 75% of the time instead of walking down it.

Parking is all paid parking now, but there is now a free shuttle from in town free parking lots. If you get there after 8 am on weekends, you will likely need to park in town and take the shuttle.
http://www.manitouspringsgov.com/librar ... ochure.pdf

You can chase elk almost anywhere if you do the incline many times in July/August.

Truthfully, I no longer chase elk on really steep stuff because I want to have a safe pack out when I do get an elk on the ground. However, if I had to, I know I can because of my summer workouts on the incline.
mtnmutt

Postby bnsafe » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 11]

if i could find a place without steep stuff i would not hunt it
bnsafe

Postby Pop-r » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Thanks for the reply Nathan.
Pop-r