Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Internet Scouting- Another Question

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Internet Scouting- Another Question

Postby LarryBud » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 1]

We'll be hunting Northern Colorado this fall.

I have a few general spots in mind but would like to know what to look for on the net.

I've already narrowed it to a Wilderness Area which is foot ( horse / Mule ) traffic only. I have one drainage picked out based on a tip from the local Game Warden. What do you look for in a quality spot?

Water? - Can you see it on the maps?
Dark Timber - How much?
Benches ? - Not sure what I'm looking at here?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry
LarryBud

Re: Internet Scouting- Another Question

Postby Indian Summer » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Pretty general questions.

Water? - Can you see it on the maps? Yes. Blue lines on topos are water. You'll need to narrow your area down and buy the maps to look at detail. First go to MyTopo dot com to view topos before deciding which ones you want in print. Keep in mind that if water is plentiful it's not worth keying on.

Dark Timber - How much? Elk can hole up a small patch just like deer. Size doesn't matter. Keep in mind not all huntable timber is "dark timber" on north slopes.

Benches ? - Not sure what I'm looking at here? Tightly spaced countour lines on the topo map means more rise per distance or steep. Widely spaced lines means more gradual elevation change or flatter spots. Benches... now you're talkin'!

Good luck.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby cnelk » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Northern Colorado?

Try me... :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby LarryBud » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 4]

cnelk wrote:Northern Colorado?

Try me... :)

Thanks for the offer.

PM sent.
LarryBud

Postby Z Barebow » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Another item not mentioned.

Saddles- Look for low spots of the ridges where elk can move from drainage to drainage. Preferably with a few tress on it. (Once there on foot, you are looking for trails)

See pic for examples. (Area just left of "Bench" text is another bench) These spots look appealing to me also because they are on the north side. They are totally timber covered. Likely bedding areas. I'll be able to report back after this fall!
Attachments
TOPO EX.jpg
TOPO EX.jpg (263.57 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby LarryBud » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Thanks Brian,

That helps. Are Benches good for travel corridors. Or just a comfortable place for elk to hang out?

Any idea of what makes one bench better than other? Cover, I assume? I read somewhere else that 2/3 of the way to the top is a good rule of thumb.
LarryBud

Postby Z Barebow » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 7]

RE: Benches. Although elk can travel through them, (They have to get there somehow!) I consider them more of a resting/bedding area. And yes I look for cover. Upper 1/3 of the mtn is best, but elk don't read these threads. Also north and east facing hillsides are prefered.

As far as hunting them, I might skirt downwind to see if I can smell elk. I might call from the fringe to see if I can get something to speak up. I would rather not tramp through there, because if they are bedded, I don't want to blow them out of there. I might look for entry/exit trails. (Figure out how they got there, or how they are going to leave)
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Indian Summer » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Yep... a bench is a shelf with steeper hill above and below it. Lots of times these areas are incorporated into the elk's travel routes. A good place to look for their trail is either on the upper edge, just below the steep stuff, or just over the edge before the hill drops off steep below. The steeper above and below the better. A rockslide for instance above or below.... or BOTH would funnel traffic along a bench. Very good question.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro