Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

It's time to answer the call !!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

It's time to answer the call !!!

Postby Wapiti » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hey guys and gals,

We all have buddies in hunting camp that do not call or are scared to even try. So we are always the ones to call for everyone? But why ? If you try anyone can use calls it just takes a little practice !!

I urge everyone of you to get your buddies that do not call to get some reeds and give it a try !! Help them out and show them the ropes. We have three months till elk season so let's get going !!

For all you guys that want to try reeds out I am having a sale for all Elknut forum user's !!

All my reeds will now be $5.00 each !! and if you buy three I'll throw in one more for free !!

At the very least all the guys that do not call should take me up on this offer and buy some reeds for your partners that do all the calling for you !!

Share our passion !!

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors !!
780-876-6170
Please call in your orders as I will not be changing the prices on my website for this sale.
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Re: It's time to answer the call !!!

Postby Vanish » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Its hard enough to get my hunting partners to listen to me about how to use their squeeze or bite and blow calls, let alone a diaphragm :D

Which call do you recommend for those of us with narrow, high palates? I just got my mini master single and it fits SO MUCH BETTER than other reeds I have tried.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Wapiti » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Vanish,

Mine all use a small frame and if they still do not fit I have a new die press machine coming soon that makes kids frames !!( Juniors,ladies and small pallets ) It will be the smaller frame simular to the mini master you speak of !! But give my reeds that I have now a try first as they are small like the Bugling Bull reeds are !!

I personally like the widest reed I can get away with as you get the best and effortless sounds. The smaller the reed the more you need to work it !!

I hope this helps

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

Postby mtnmutt » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 4]

When do think you will have the new smaller ones available?

I am a woman with a very small palate. Was trying the All Star the last few months, but the front corners get beat up because the corners end up under the teeth trying to get it seated in front. Otherwise, it sits too far back and I don't get a useful sound out of it.

Thanks.
mtnmutt

Postby Wapiti » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 5]

mtnmutt,

I will have my new press and dye's in 2-3 weeks !! Then i'll be making all kinds of reeds in bulk. But for the time being I can make you some calls if you let me know what ones you would like to try out and I can send them your way tomorrow. The tape colors will not match though as I only have a few colors available for now. I will have all the same colors by the time my press comes in. All I have in for now are yellow, purple and pink.

I was asking my wife what she liked best and she feels the wider frame is easier to use...... but I should send you a couple of both and let you decide as you will know right away.

I also talk and teach a lot of ladies to call at shows and they seem to like the regular frame I sell.

But let me know what you are thinking

Thank you for the inquiries !!

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

Postby Jaquomo » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Nice of you to offer a discount to folks on this site. Are your frames tunable aluminum or rigid plastic?
Jaquomo

Postby Wapiti » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Thank you very much Jaquomo !

The frames are aluminum.
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I've played with these calls, I'm impressed I have to say! The Triple reed he has is a WOW! I have a narrow palate & his present reeds fit very well. I'll never switch from my Mellow Yellow & Raging Bull but will add that triple reed, his calls are worth a try guys/gals!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I have a few coming to try out as well. I'm real interested to see how that new tape design works out.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby mtnmutt » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Trav,
I am a newbie with mouth reeds. The problem is getting it to seat without having a gap. I don't have a problem with a gagging effect.

My mouth is so small that I had 4 permanent teeth removed as a kid.

I mostly only make these sounds since I cannot hear elk call back due to a hearing loss: nervous grunt, light mew, calf. If I mastered those, I would try re-gathering and herd talk. I can also do a whiny cow sound (can't remember the generic term for it), but would not use that one much even though it has brought in a couple of elk for me.

I can make the nervous grunt with my mouth without a reed. I seem to have the most trouble with a calf sound. I also do okay with a light mew sound without a mouth reed. I really want to learn the calf sound since I have either sex and anterless tag.

I am okay with waiting those 3 weeks.

I am guessing the Pink Lady and Ridge Runner in your current line is close to what I am looking for, but would like your input.

Color does not matter as long as I can easily find them in the woods if I drop one.

Thank you for your help.
Patricia
mtnmutt

Postby Wapiti » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Patricia,

Thank you for the discription as it really helps me out. I can tell you, it sounds like you will need the junior reed for sure. Can you pm me your address and I am going to send you some sample reeds for you to use and get comfortable with. Then I can get your feed back and we can go from there !! These reeds will be at no cost as I really want to get you going strong with your calling !! You will also be helping me out substantially as I need your help as you have a small pallet and your imput will be valuable for many that are on this site !!

Thank you very much !! I have been using a junior reed since I started this thread and have become very fond of them !! I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks !! lol

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

Postby mtnmutt » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Trav,
You are extremely kind to offer to send those reeds to me for free.

I have sent you PM.

Looking forward to trying them out and annoying my neighbors. :D
mtnmutt

Postby Wapiti » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 13]

mtnmutt,

Package is on it's way and good luck to your neighbors !! LOL

Please let us know what you think.

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

Postby ctdad » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I plan to call and make my order this coming week. I am going to order one of each to figure out what works best for me.
ctdad

Postby msd1228 » 06 28, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Now that I've finally gotten around to putting all of the different reeds through the paces, my personal favorites have ended up being the "bull buster" for cow calling and the "sure thing" for bull calls. I know the pink lady is kind of the flagship cow call while the ridge runner is the go to all round call, but for me the 2 aforementioned are the ones that work best. The biggest issue I have with the calls, and its not actually a problem with the calls at all, its just how they react with my technique, is that I blow so hard during my big lip bawls and screams that the latex just gets overblown and doesn't make any sound. Obviously that would be corrected by backing way off on my pressure, but then I don't get the volume or pitch that I'm looking for. Bull buster is an awesome reed for any type of cow talk, and I get a killer 2 note locator and long single note out of the sure thing. I do really love the cut of the tape as it does fit my mouth very, very well, much like Travis said it would when I first met him.
msd1228

First Name: Shane

Postby Wapiti » 06 28, 2013 •  [Post 16]

msd1228,

Glad your doing well. I should have mentioned that most of our reeds are low air and tongue pressure especially the Ride Runner and Pink Lady. I did this for two reason's firsts being when you have a bull coming in hot we wanted a reed that makes effortless sounds and that is what they do. Some people are scared to mess up a call and fail to call the bull in because of being scared to mess up or make some sort of sound that is uncontrolled.
Second these calls are also designed for learning on as the very small amount of air required is perfect for new reed user's. The learning curve is so fast for new user's it's so suprising. The Ride Runner is a very young bull sound and does make all the nice cow sounds as well.

Now you mentioned the Bull Buster as a cow call. You got it perfect as I was going for a reed that can bugle and cow call with the best reeds out there !! I am being told that it very similar to the raging bull but easier to control. I've had countless phone calls on that one !!

It seems the guys that have ordered these calls really know there stuff and I have had awesome feed back from them !! When I give calling demo's at show's I usually will use the Bull Buster !!

Also try the triple reed "Lucky" for your lip bawls and screams !! It also does awesome cow buzz sounds !!

Good luck this fall and i'm looking forward to hearing some stories !!

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
Wapiti
Site Sponsor