Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Question...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Question...

Postby mandrroofing » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Do you carry a spare release in you day pack in case you lose one?it makes sense to me...
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Re: Question...

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Matt, I do not. Where would a guy draw the line if he were to carry two of many items? (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby mandrroofing » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Very true,its getting expensive also.I worry because I use a thumb release and a lil easier to lose then a wrist release.I see your point tho...
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby Swede » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I do keep one in my day pack. Of coarse I am generally hunting differently than Paul. Most of my time is in a tree. I may also be a little more forgetful, so my spare has come in handy a few times through the years.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby buglmin » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Most definitly...you cant shoot with your fingers if you loose you release...When I hunt with a compound, I also keep a small bow press and extra string and cables in my truck now after my experience in Utah.
Without a spare release, what happens if you break a strap, break the release, or just loose it? Your hunts over!
buglmin

Postby elkaholic » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 6]

buglmin wrote:Most definitly...you cant shoot with your fingers if you loose you release...When I hunt with a compound, I also keep a small bow press and extra string and cables in my truck now after my experience in Utah.
Without a spare release, what happens if you break a strap, break the release, or just loose it? Your hunts over!

I have everything but the strings and cables at camp. I also have an extra bow that I keep just in case.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby Triplebhunters » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Yep, I read a lot of stories that the hunter has left his main release in the truck. I also stap my release to my bow when it's not on my wrist. Xtra cautious here. I hear Elknut as well. Ounces count up REALLY FAST. Also if you are hunting with a partner there is your xtra release.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby planebow » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 8]

After forgot mine once I always carry an extra in my day pack. Sure beats driving ten miles back to camp like I had to do 2 years ago.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Question...

Postby Freebird134 » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 9]

ElkNut1 wrote:Matt, I do not. Where would a guy draw the line if he were to carry two of many items? (grin)

ElkNut1

I draw the line at things that are required to kill a critter. Besides a bow, of course! But you bet I have 2 releases, 2 knives and more than 1 arrow!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby quarbles » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 10]

nope. i like the exilarating feeling of knowing i'm pooched if i forget something..... living on the edge with one release here. but for those that do carry an extra, do you practice with it alot?
quarbles

First Name: jon
Last Name: travis

Postby elkmtngear » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I carry an extra finger tab ;)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Trophyhill » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Yes I do carry a spare in my pack. And a spare bow in my truck. I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Indian Summer » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Nope. Back when I first started using one I had such a fear of losing or forgetting it that there are only two places you could ever find mine: On my hand or attached to my bow. When I take it off it immediately goes aroud my stablizer and riser and the velcro wrist strap (Winns free Flight) is snugged down. That release hasn't seen another place in over 25 years and I've never had a mishap. I can't imagine keeping it in my pack or anywhere else! It's a part of the bow.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby one_elk » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Yep, I also carry a spare...
one_elk

Postby N5J » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I carry a extra release and a small (possible bag) with minor items: super glue, string loop material, dental floss, extra batteries and so on in my pack. I always ask myself if "X" breaks or is missing how far is it back to camp or town to get an item fixed or replaced. I'm able to fix or temp fix items without returning to camp or town, I just hunt. Once while blazing a trail through some heavy brush, I emurged and noticed I broke two fibers on my sight. Reached in my little possible bag and pulled out some replacement optic fiber. I fixed my sight, shot a blunt at a stump to make sure my sight was still on then continued to hunt. Over the top...maybe...but traveling 125 to town for replacement items or repairs isn't an option.

N5J
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby welka » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I carry a very light weight spare release. Even if you decide to carry a spare release, make sure you shoot your bow with your fingers a couple of times just in case something goes wrong in the heat of the moment. Fingers obviously shoot different than your release. Good luck
welka

Postby easeup » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 17]

YES

I had one freeze up one morning long ago. then I also worry I might lose one.
I can carry everything I need in a fanny pack so an extra release is nothing.
easeup

Postby JJ Overkill » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 18]

yes I do, I also practice with it once a week. like easeup, I had one freeze on me.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby bnsafe » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 19]

i don't because i havnt broke down and bought a second. if i had one it would stay in camp just in case, but not carried. three years ago i was going bear hunting im mn and beings from mo and kinda ocd i went thru my stuff a million times. last nite before we left i shot an went in the house. next morning i went out to just carry my target in and found my release on top of the target. that would have been really bad. a couple years ago i had a bow string break on me during the draw. i don't have a backup bow either, but would like to have one, just in case.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott