Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

climbing treestand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

climbing treestand

Postby bnsafe » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 1]

got my climber tonite, and i know of two aspens with no limbs and straight up, one within 20 yds of a well used gametrail, and one within 20 yds of an old wallow (i think). if they don't change there patterns to much and i don't get blown out by other hunters i have a ton of confidence in the setup (assuming i can figure out a climber, lol). come on aug 31
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: climbing treestand

Postby Swede » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Well: What did you get for a tree stand? Good luck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 3]

bought the api crusader, will do a review this fall on it, but looks nice although i have never used a climber, should be interesting.
swede, did you write a book and how do i get a copy
bnsafe

Postby wawhitey » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 4]

man ive got a bunch of places that would be prefect for a climbing treestand for elk / muleys / whiteys / predators but i cant get over my being uncomfortable with them. and its weird, but just the treestand alone id be fine with, but its the using a gun or bow in one, taking my focus off where i am, that makes me dizzy and the problem with heights comes in. if i could just get over that it would be a huge benefit. as it is im a ground guy.
wawhitey

Postby Wapiti » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Make sure you tilt the stand up at an angle when you attach it to the tree base. It will level out as you climb as the tree's get thinner as you go up. Keep your weight out on the platform and not up against the tree as the stand will slide down.

Climber use your weight to grip the tree. Wear a harness as you go up and down and be careful. I love them as you can move to another spot easy and can climb to the height you are comfy with !!

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby Swede » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 6]

bnsafe: Elknut sells the book. Just go into his online store and look for his books. It is "Tree Stand Hunting Rocky Mountain Elk". Thanks for asking.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 7]

will do, thanks for the info wapiti, i would not have known that.
bnsafe

Postby wawhitey » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:bnsafe: Elknut sells the book. Just go into his online store and look for his books. It is "Tree Stand Hunting Rocky Mountain Elk". Thanks for asking.

well i just ordered it. i figure even tho im a ground guy i can gain some useful knowledge from it. ill just take into consideration a less desirable field of view and more focus on favorable windage
wawhitey

Postby cnelk » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 9]

bnsafe
Dont forget to tie a ~20' cord on to the stand so you can lift your bow up once you are up in the tree
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Bowhunter » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I have a couple different climers. My favorite is the Summit Goliath. I can climb to 30 ft and feel real safe with the bar around the top seat portion. I have stood up to stretch and totally got dizzy and lost my balance before. That bar helps keep you from falling and it makes it easier to climb with the sit and stand method. You don't have to use so much upper body stregth by sit and stand climbing. I too use a pull up rope and allways a harness. I have been known to take many afternoon naps in the summit.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby otcWill » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Remember treestand huntn take PATIENCE! It can be tough if you spend the whole time second guessing yourself. Just set the goal of enjoying yourself in the tree and have confindence in your settup. Good luck!
otcWill

Postby Triplebhunters » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 12]

You are going to love it. Check with your game commision, our state (pa) offers a archery safety course. Which includes safety instructions using climbing tree stands. I used to be petrified of heights. Now i take naps im mine.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby lang » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Be extra careful in aspens they are very soft, not my first choice if you have any other options.
lang

First Name: Bryan

Postby cnelk » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I'm thinking aspens are the only thing that are alive where bnsafe is hunting...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby JJ Overkill » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 15]

otcWill wrote:Remember treestand huntn take PATIENCE! It can be tough if you spend the whole time second guessing yourself. Just set the goal of enjoying yourself in the tree and have confindence in your settup. Good luck!

when ever I stand hunted in northern MN I always had a good book to read with me. I don't know about you guys but I always heard the deer coming before I could see them. ive learned one thing, if it sounds like an elephant coming through the trees its probably a squirrel, if it sounds like a squirrel its more than likely a deer. :D I don't know how many times I read elknuts playbook in my stand.

it is hard not to sit there in a stand and not wonder whats in the next draw over when nothing is happening, I have talked myself out of my stand and later regretted it. I got out of my stand to see what was in a oak stand 1/2 mile away. hunted there until dark. two days later I pulled a trail cam I had set up near my food plot. the buck I was really after walked through the area 1/2 hr after I got out of my stand. it was the only time he came in there during day light for the rest of the season. patience is a virtue I was never blessed with :D
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby bnsafe » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 16]

well I got it together but cant figure out how to get it into a backpack form so I took a break, put the Kodiak canvas tent up for the first time and sprayed it down, let it dry then put some spray on it per the instructions, cleaned up my hunting stuff from the move and got all my elk stuff in one pile now, at least what I can find of it. is it September yet. (im about as excited as a kid on Christmas eve)
bnsafe

Postby one_elk » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 17]

wawhitey wrote:
Swede wrote:bnsafe: Elknut sells the book. Just go into his online store and look for his books. It is "Tree Stand Hunting Rocky Mountain Elk". Thanks for asking.

well i just ordered it. i figure even tho im a ground guy i can gain some useful knowledge from it. ill just take into consideration a less desirable field of view and more focus on favorable windage

Great book, just got my copy yesterday and am about 1/2 through it...lots of great information...
one_elk

Postby bnsafe » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I will be ordering soon
bnsafe

climbing treestand

Postby Herb » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I have a older API climber, love it, use it all the time for white tails in Nebraska.
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Postby Freebird134 » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Growing up in Idaho we never used a treestand for anything. When I moved East for grad school I discovered their utility...and complete boredom. I'm pretty sure I could never treestand hunt somewhere if I couldn't get iPhone reception. Stands bore me, but dang they are effective. Sounds like you have a great set up going too :) Good luck!!! (and pack an iPhone, book, or something!....and a pee bottle!)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon