Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Calling elk at night

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Calling elk at night

Postby Wapiti » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I do a lot of calling at night. It is the easiest way to locate elk for the morning hunt. Up here in Alberta we have a million miles of oilfield and logging roads. So the way I do it is I use my ELECTRIC GOLF CART !! LOL Yes I did say a golf cart. Now many of you may be laughing your heads off but the benefits of being silent and still covering many,many miles per night is criticle for success !!

Guys give this a try and you will be amazed at how willing the elk are to answer the call at night !!

Now I can get on the elk at first light and have a way better chance of getting into elk before they bed up !!

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Re: Calling elk at night

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Never used a golf cart but we sure do a lot of night calling during slow & good times, it's very productive!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Yep, we do a lot of night calling. Especially during full moon phases.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby elkaholic » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Lol. Most of us don't have a golf cart at our disposal so how long do you wait until you try and locate elk? 5 min., 10min?
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby Wapiti » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Ya I realize most guys don't own a golf cart. I was more going after the point that night calling is a fantastic way to locate elk. We also use mountain bikes. Many guys also use Trucks but I like to be steallthy !! Thus the electric golf cart. I come in silent and I leave silent and the elk are none the wiser !! They just think your an elk bugling !!

I am a very patient person so I can be in one spot for a couple hours if I get an elk bugling. I like to stay and talk with him. I also stay and talk with him so he will get to know my sounds when I call out. I have one elk up here I've been calling to for 6 years and he knows my sound and will answer me every night. So as you can see if you stay you become familiar to the herd and they will except you.

Paul talks about this for early season calling and the elk getting to know each other thru there calls, it's basically the same except I do it all season. Now if i'm at a spot and get no answer after a half hour or so I will move on as the elk are some where and they should be willing to talk at night. So don't waist your time if you are getting zero responses. Move on and find them !!

I hope this helps some people out as we all learn the ways to locate elk !!

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby stringunner » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

We call at night. My main question is, how long do you all stay at one spot before moving on Without getting a response? How many times will you bugle at one spot?
stringunner

Postby Vanish » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 7]

When do you night callers sleep?! :D
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Generally will Locate Bugle 2-3 times if needed at each spot inside 2 minutes & wait no longer than 10 minutes. We'll bugle at 10-15 spots in a few miles or 30 miles, we keep going until satisfied.

We can sleep after hunting season! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby stringunner » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Thanks Paul. That helps.
stringunner