Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Previous years elk sightings

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Previous years elk sightings

Postby mandrroofing » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Last year was my first elk hunt and i did run into Elk and even was able to draw back on a bull with no shot .What i was wanting to know is, these areas that i did run Into Elk should I Hit these areas first and foremost?I do have other areas marked out, that i want to check out but should i go to the places that i have already seen elk first?Are elk known to be in the same areas year after year? THANKS!
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Re: Previous years elk sightings

Postby Backcountry » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

What time of the year were you in there? Short of something major (blowing the herd out) I find the same elk in the same places year after year. They may move on ridge or drainage over but they stay in the same general vicinity.
Backcountry

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barnett

Postby mandrroofing » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 3]

It was the last Week of archery in Southern Colorado.
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby Jaquomo » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Often after they're blown out they will go to the same places for refuge. If you found them there last week of the season, I'd say there's a good chance there will be elk in the area again.
Jaquomo

Postby Swede » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

What I have just expands a little on what Jacuomo wrote. If you hunt the same time each season, you are likely to return and find elk where they were the time before. Things can change like logging, wildfire or other activity, but a general rule this fits. What can mess you up, is to go early one time and late the next.
Since last year was your first elk hunt, I would return to your area unless something has really changed things, and try to expand that area some. Over time you will gain an advantage by learning, in depth, the area and the elk that are there.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics