Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Thermo-clim

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Thermo-clim

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

At least Thermo-clim is what I call it. Let me explain.

I was stillhunting around the north side of Sawtooth Mountain one day when I came to this small patch of timber. Instantly I could feel the temperature drop what felt like maybe 10 degrees. It was as if this spot had it's own little thermo cilmate. You could feel the coolness and dampness as soon as you entered the area.

I froze in my tracks and surveyed the area. And then I noticed that pungent barnyard smell. They must have heard me coming because the next thing I knew was they were out of there. It all happened so fast.

Elk seek out these thermo-clims especially during the early part of the season when it is hot and dry. If you ever stumble into one of these places, be sure you have your nose in the wind and stop dead in your tracks. These spots are elk magnets.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Thermo-clim

Postby Bowhunter » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I have noticed places that seemed much cooler like that. They are usually shaded and by some sort of water. I believe the evaporation makes the air cool. Yes animals do seek them out.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby bnsafe » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I think that's where the dark side lives (sorry, shameless star wars plug) I havnt seen those yet. are they higher in elevation or could be anywhere
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Harmy » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I call these microclimates and have identified several of these in the mountains. Many are influenced by water but many are also created when a cave or fissure from deep underground intersects the earthss surface in a shallow bowl or depression such that the cool air stays in that location. When these are coupled with water and cover they can be excellant spots where game gathers for the hot parts of the day. I have seen this several times myself but not in areas where I hunt unfortunately. Most of these areas I have found have been near small outcrops of heavily fractured limestone in depressions or small canyons.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Swede » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

WW makes a good point. Sometimes the reason for these cold spots is obvious like basins or dark areas, but sometimes I can see no reason for why they are different. Unless you are into studying things a lot more than I would, just remember them. I had one of these cold spots on our farm when we lived in eastern Oregon. It was about 1/4 mile from our house. It was always colder there throughout the summer and early fall. I did not notice it in the winter as every spot was cold. I have no idea why this small isolated area is different. It is just a place cold air always collects.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Freebird134 » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I think you'd call it a microclimate, like harmy said, or if you want to get nerdy you can talk about thermal heterogeneity. It's really important for a lot of animals, specially as climate shifts, and is actually a big part of my research: how do animals use different microclimates within a habitat, and how do those different microclimates let them live in areas that might otherwise be inhospitable? I'm sure these little cool pockets can make all the difference in whether or not an area holds animals. Good observation! You know, I was a hunter long before I was an ecologist, and it amazes me at the things I know as a hunter that ecologists are just learning. For example, ecologists would get all sorts of excited to do an experiment showing a hot, dry summer congregates elk in the cooler bottoms near water making them more susceptible to predation; we hunters already know this--and are hanging treestands to do some predating of our own ;)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon