Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Travel corridors

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Travel corridors

Postby mandrroofing » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hello! Hey, the area I hunt has a fairly small travel corridor area according to Colorado's virtual hunting map. My question is late September would this be an area of interest that I should considerably check out? Google Earths hows there's not a whole lot of timber, there is some but not a lot. Wanted to see what you all thought...
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Re: Travel corridors

Postby elkmtngear » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Matt,

How large is the area you are looking at? Is there something in the area that could hold elk, such as North Facing timbered slopes, springs, etc?
How easy is it to access the area? What are the elevation changes in the general area?
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Vanish » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I think you mean migration corridor. Those will not apply during archery ... or I should say should not apply. It takes a lot of snow to move elk.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby mandrroofing » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Yea,that is what I mean.sorry bout that guys
mandrroofing

Postby buglmin » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Migration routes wont help you during September. Elk wont use the migration routes til late November when the snow pushes them down out of the higher elevations here in sw colorado.
buglmin

Postby mandrroofing » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for the replys!Now i know... 8-)
mandrroofing

Postby mandrroofing » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 7]

how about small pockets of summer concentration areas,There fairly small.The elevation is between 10,000 and 12,000 ft.
This is in a wilderness area and itll take some work to get to.Are these areas good areas to check?
mandrroofing

Postby mtnmutt » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I did as you did and studied those CPW hunting maps elk summer concentration areas. I love wilderness areas. You don't have to be right in that area to get into elk. It is just a concentration area. Some of those areas may load up more once the ML start blasting, but I still ran into a 6x6 1/2 mile from a road on opening ML. If it was easy to get to, all the hunters would go to that area. I decided that I did not want to pack an elk out of there, so I hunt near those areas (1-3 miles away) and still avoid other hunters and get into elk. I hunt around 10,500-10,800 and see elk, however, I have 3 years of tag soup.

Use those as a guide. Then follow what others mention here about North facing slopes, feedings areas and water.

If you have not been in the area, be mindful of streams in CO being dry. Even if they are not marked as dotted blue line, some were dry last year in CO that normally flow in September.

Good Luck!
mtnmutt