Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

3 Man Strategies

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

3 Man Strategies

Postby LarryBud » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 1]

As I read one of the other threads about hunting solo or in a group, I noticed many three man groups.

I'm curious on how you hunt with three people. We will be hunting N Colorado, the third week of September with a Mizzleloaders. Do you hunt as a calling and shooting combo? Split up? Two shooters and a caller? I'm curious on the often used strategies.

Thanks,
LarryBud

Re: 3 Man Strategies

Postby elkmtngear » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Larry,
I think you will find this thread interesting: http://www.elknutforums.com/Hunting/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2117&hilit=3+man
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Re: 3 Man Strategies

Postby Bullnuts » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

2 shooters and a caller, but make VERY sure that your shooters understand where they can safely shoot. A lot of guys will set up in a wedge, with the two shooters well out in front of the caller. Having three sons, we use this same technique, but put all three kids out in front of me, separated by no more than 10-15 yards with archery tackle. This way they can all see each other and know exactly where they are safe to shoot. Muzzleloaders will probably want to be further apart, but if your caller is directly behind the shooters, 30-40 yards down wind, the elk will want to circle anyway, so your shooters can still be fairly close and within seeing distance. An elk that comes straight in can only be safely taken if it is still out in front of the shooters and not between them. An elk that circles will be the responsibility of the shooter on that end.
Bullnuts