Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

When do you draw?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

When do you draw?

Postby welka » 06 28, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Depending on your experiences, what guides have told you, what you see on TV, etc. the question of when to draw your bow as a bull passes a tree should be an interesting debate. While not data based, my bet is that most people have heard that they need to draw when the bull's head gets behind a tree. I had a great guide tell me years ago that you should NEVER draw until a bulls head clears the tree. The theory is that if a bull catches movement or hears your draw as his head goes behind a tree, when he stops his vitals are blocked. So, what's your opinion/vote?

Draw when the head goes behind the tree OR draw when the head clears?
welka

Re: When do you draw?

Postby Swede » 06 28, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I watch and prefer to draw just as the bull comes into the open. I have seen them stay a long time behind a tree. If he is stopped and just his head is hidden, I will draw then. I have done that in the past with success. The biggest question is not where his head is, but where is he looking.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Trophyhill » 06 28, 2013 •  [Post 3]

That can be a tough call but I think the situation, cover, terrain and mood of the elk dictates when you draw.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby buglmin » 06 29, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I tell clients not to draw till they are ready to kill the bull, and not to make any sudden movements without making a sound...because most of the elk killed by me or by my hunters are shot with trad equipment, I've learned that if you cow or calf call to stop the bull, he wont spook over the movement of you sucking back the string. Its those close sudden movements without a sound tha makes bull turn himself inside out getting away...with a compound, its when the situation feels right. But even if busted, a quick cow call wll stop him long enough for a shot. Heres where all the work on back tension goes out the door, plant the pin, and hit the trigger!!
buglmin

Postby bnsafe » 06 29, 2013 •  [Post 5]

a great question, honestly I hadn't even thougth of it. think I will try the cow call trick
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Trophyhill » 06 30, 2013 •  [Post 6]

In more tight cover where you have to pick a "window" to shoot thru, a nervous grunt is the ticket to stop a bull on the dime whereas if you use a cow call in this situation a bull "could" take another step or 2 in effect stopping where you may not have a clear shot to the vitals.
Trophyhill

Postby buglmin » 06 30, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Think about it...as long as you make a sound before you move, he wont get spooked as bad as seeing a sudden movement with no noise. In fact, I started bleating at bulls like you would to a whitetail deer, and it works perfect. You dont always have to use elk sounds.
buglmin

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 30, 2013 •  [Post 8]

With modern day compounds, a guy/gal can hold at full draw quite a while, up to a minute or more without getting the shakes. This said, draw when the elk is just getting ready to come into a perceived shooting lane(s). I have drawn as many a 5 or 6 times on an elk before finally releasing an arrow. If the shot is not there (obstruction over vitals, elk still moving, bad angle, etc.), you can always let off and get ready to draw again if Bullwinkle is still trying his best to give you a shot opportunity. Draw, let off, draw, let off, it's all part of the battle sometimes. Don't forget the make an elk noise (popping grunt, even a cow chirp) when the elk is where you want him/her to be.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

When do you draw?

Postby G Posik » 07 01, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I draw my trad bow when it is time to make the shot. Like said above make a noise, draw, anchor and release. Sit and wait to go collect your elk.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik

Postby Bowhunter » 07 01, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I would probably draw when he is behind a tree and can't see me. I hunt with a compound and can pull it back smooth and quiet without jerking. He shouldn't hear me and I wouldn't want him to see me. I can hold till he walks into my shot window then squeeze the trigger and watch my fletchings dissapear into the spot. :D b I do like the idea of a cow call to mask movement if his head is not blocked. I will have to try to remember that trick.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 01, 2013 •  [Post 11]

[quote="welka" I had a great guide tell me years ago that you should NEVER draw until a bulls head clears the tree. The theory is that if a bull catches movement or hears your draw as his head goes behind a tree, when he stops his vitals are blocked. So, what's your opinion/vote?

Draw when the head goes behind the tree OR draw when the head clears?[/quote]

JMHO: But I think I'd be looking for a different guide! When an elk is looking forward, they still have great perifial (sp) vision. They can catch movement to the side and almost everywhere else except directly behind them.

When the head is behind a tree or bush or looking the other way is when I'm making my draw. Your draw needs to be slow and deliberate with no noise. This is why good bowhunters go to extremes to silence their equipment. And no reaching for the sky when drawing. Get that poundage to a managable weight where you can hold your bow straight out in front of you and draw slowly straight back. And have it light enough that you can hold for however much time it takes.

Trad shooters have to do it a little different. But they can still make the draw slow and silent.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Jaquomo » 07 01, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I usually draw when it's time to shoot. Rather than a cow call to stop him, I use a hard popping grunt, which always freezes them in their tracks. I've had too many experiences where he took another step or two after hearing the cow call and the vitals were covered by a tree.

I already have my bow in draw positio, so I just draw straight back while looking at the spot, anchor, release, collect the elk. IMO, way too many people make too much movement drawing the bow - either by "skywalking" with a compound, or with a stickbow using the "Asbell method" of drawing as the bow is raised.
Jaquomo

Postby Seminole » 07 01, 2013 •  [Post 13]

welka: Great post and some great reccomendations...
Seminole

First Name: Noah
Last Name: McKinnon

Postby cnelk » 07 01, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Yep.
Draw when its time to shoot.
Some anticipation goes into knowing when 'shoot' time is tho

I do know you cant draw on a bull thats looking you at 8ft with a most favorable outcome
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Jaquomo » 07 01, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Funny, but I shot one at 9 feet once, and you're right, rarely a favorable outcome. I got inside his head and he came trotting straight at me over a small rise. I was behind a tiny spruce and he was going to run me over if I didn't do something. I was shooting a longbow and drew as he was coming fast, hitting anchor when he was at 3 yards.

A straight-on angle turned into hard a quartering away hit with the arrow, which took out his liver on one side and one lung on the other. Unbelievable how fast they can spin. I don't recommend drawing when one is straight on at 3 yards, but in that case I'd have had hoofprints if I hadn't done it.
Jaquomo

Postby welka » 07 01, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Guess we can't be specific enough at times. Great points about stopping the bull when you are ready to shoot with either a popping grunt or cow call. My original post was more about those times when you "forget to put the call in your mouth"!!! Have never tried the whitetail grunt/bleat, but like the idea because it is less disruption to the shot picture compared to a making a cow or nervous grunt. As for the original intention, while I agree and am aware of the 235 degree eyes of elk/deer, the draw with the head behind the tree seems to have some merit after several trials on small bulls I have practiced it on without shooting. Good luck to all and don't forget to put the diaphragm in your mouth before the shot!
welka

Postby Jaquomo » 07 01, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Practice the hard popping grunt with your voice - sucking air in - and the diaphragm won't matter.

I will sometimes draw and pop-stop when their eyes go behind a small tree if the vitals are otherwise clear. Seems like every situation is different.
Jaquomo

Postby Seminole » 07 02, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Jaquomo: I know what you mean about hoof prints on your back... Paul called in a bull for me that sounded like a D-10 root raker tractor with the throttle stuck. Paul ticked off a herd bull so bad you could see the tips of his antlers clipping off the willow branches as he came steam rolling into us, screaming and growling the whole way. There he was at five yards in the middle of the willows and no shot. I think when the lights turn out, THAT memory is going to pop up in my head again. Hell, I am already there.... :)

Paul, thank you again for such a wonderful moment.
Seminole

First Name: Noah
Last Name: McKinnon

Postby JGH » 07 02, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Jacuomo ... can you elaborate on the "suck in popping grunt"?

I'm trying a little, but when I do it, it sounds like a drunk hiccup.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby OS hunter » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Jaquomo wrote:Practice the hard popping grunt with your voice - sucking air in - and the diaphragm won't matter.

I will sometimes draw and pop-stop when their eyes go behind a small tree if the vitals are otherwise clear. Seems like every situation is different.

Any way you could post a video/sound bite of this for us newbies? :)
OS hunter

Last Name: Linton

Postby Jaquomo » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Guys, I've thought about this. I'm getting ready to run a big fishing derby for kids/women/"senior" men, but after I get all that over, I'll p[ost up a YouTube video of voice bugling and grunting, chuckling, whining, etc... Really, it's about opening your throat and controlling the air flow with your jaw and the back of your tongue. You can make amazing elk sounds, which when amplified thorugh a tube, makes bugles, whines, etc.. like no commercial bugle.

A guy in my park taught me when I was an interning park naturalist back in 1980, and I've used this technique with greeat success over the decades.
Jaquomo

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Guys, here's a clip on how to make the Nervous/Popping Grunt with your voice or a mouth reed, I have this clip with many others on the ElkNut Tips & Tactics Forum on top! If this doesn't work just go on the forum mentioned.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=73

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Trophyhill » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Nicely done. Love the intro "the Elknut guy" lol
Trophyhill