Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

opinions wanted (random bugles)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

opinions wanted (random bugles)

Postby JJ Overkill » 06 29, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I haven't been practicing lately way to much work, I was just wondering what your thoughts are on what need more attention. I just through out some random bugles and sounds. I will say my chuckles sound like crap. not very impressive at all . just looking for another insight on work that needs to be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0IffmpH ... e=youtu.be
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Re: opinions wanted (random bugles)

Postby JJ Overkill » 06 29, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I didn't mean to much work to practice, ive just been working long hrs.
JJ Overkill

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 30, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Yes, your challenge bugles & lip bawls were just fine, as you mention your chuckles are weak & need a bit of polishing up. (grin) Focus your practice as well on nice Location Bugles from mid-size bulls to big bull location bugles. Younger bulls will have 2-3 notes as the high pitch breaks over where more mature bulls will have more of a pure single note & sometimes 2 nice pure notes. Do not apply a growl to beginning or end of them, it's not needed. The challenge bugles you shared are nice to employ but you will need those sparingly in the elkwoods for the right bull & situation where the Location Bugles get the call quite often. As far as your chuckling goes you need to incorporate "voice inflection" from your throat sorta ape like in sound along with your reed of use. Practice, practice, practice!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JJ Overkill » 06 30, 2013 •  [Post 4]

thank you paul, you jogged my memory. I remember two years ago you made a comment on a video I put up on A/T that my attempt at grunts were more like chuckles. I went through my videos and saw exactly what I did to get that sound out. I re listened to the video I put on here. man them are very bad. you also reminded me, which I also saw in my videos how my location bugle use to sound. I guess I just so wrapped up in making big aggressive sounds I forgot the basics sounds that I should be focused on. thanks again for the mental jog.

maybe tomorrow I will post a due over on here
JJ Overkill

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 30, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I gotta say Jeremy, your calling has improved "dramatically" over the past few years. Your overall bugles and lip bawl segments are money IMO. Like Mr. Elknut said, some work on your chuckles but again, huge improvement from the first time I heard you make elk noises. Keep up the good work! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 01, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I'd say your sounds are plenty good enough to go hunting with. But improvement will come in all areas if you just give it time. Rome wasn't built in a day! LOL! Pay close attention to what the elk themselves are doing and try to mock their sounds. Forget the fancy competition BS.

Elk can make some pretty poor sounds themselves. But more important than sounding like a pro caller is knowing what to say and when to say it. There are lots of good hunters that are pee poor callers.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby JJ Overkill » 07 01, 2013 •  [Post 7]

heres another take. after further review I conclude my location bugles are weak as well. my chuckles improved a little. I slowed them down in the middle of the first sequence but tried to bring them back up to speed. they sounded almost like a grunt. I just noticed my reed is slightly torn on one of the corners. this could attribute to me not being able to hold my notes like I want. time to buy some new diaphragms.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO7s1zIH ... e=youtu.be

on a side note, don't stand to close to the phone when calling. in both chuckles I slowed down in the middle and drew them out almost like a grunt. I tried to push for the high notes and fell flat. could this be due to a faulty reed?
JJ Overkill

Postby JJ Overkill » 07 20, 2013 •  [Post 8]

sorry guys I didn't realize the video was on private setting, you should be able to watch it now.
JJ Overkill

Postby Glacier Country » 07 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Jeremy, You are blowing way too hard and starting on the high note EEEE which doesn't leave your tongue anywhere to go no matter how hard you push. start with more of a mid tone,OHooo,then EEEEE, let the reed break and THEN push more air and add more tongue pressure.Every bugle you do will be much louder. It is really just a slight tweak on what you do now. It will elevate your calling to a whole new level,however.I will post a couple audio clips of bugles and one of Chuckles to illustrate what I mean.The MID tones are what will help get your calls loud and Powerful.I am posting these up not just for you Jeremy but to help lots of others who this may help. Hope this helps --->Troy
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] Chuckles2.m4a [ 465.3 KiB | Viewed 2563 times ]

[ Play Quicktime file ] Assorted Bugles on TSW2.m4a [ 1016.55 KiB | Viewed 2563 times ]

Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

First Name: Troy