Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Which Elknuts would you like to hunt with if you could?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 02, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Tuesday night, anticipating a short week and great weekend celebrating our country's Independence Day(don't forget to put your flags out). Got to thinking, as much time as we spend on the Elknut forum, you almost get to know the personalities of some of the frequent visitors. If there was a good chance you could spend an archery season with some of the site's frequent contributors, who would you like to hunt with? I have a pretty good list in my mind but am curious to what you cat's think.. If you had the opportunity, and the stars lined up correctly, who would you like to spend a few weeks in the mountains of (insert state here) with? Let's just say Mr. Elknut himself is on most of our lists so you can omit him (sorry Paul, I'm pretty sure you'd top all the lists). Let's hear your top handful of folks you'd like to chase elk with if the opportunity presented itself.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Which Elknuts would you like to hunt with if you could?

Postby NCelkhtr » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I'll go first. If I had to pick 3 I'd go with cnelk, swede, and phanton16. Mostly for the simple reason that i have read alot of comments on here from the three and learned things from them. That would help a rookie in elk camp out alot lol. Your right I'd have to through Paul in if he was a pick though, I know when I first found the website last year I called to ask about some differences in the calls before I bought any. Not thinking about the time difference between North Carolina and Idaho (it being 6 am there) and he still talked to me for 45 minutes about elk hunting and was excited about it.
NCelkhtr

First Name: Zack
Last Name: Benfield

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

NCelkhtr I believe Elknut is that passionate about everything. I wish I had that much energy, and I'm still young!

My list would be Swede, Phantom, cnelk, and Jaquomo right off the bat. I could learn a lot from all of them. There are others that would be a hoot.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Any and all maybe? I dont know that is tough question. I have learned a lot on this forum and even some detailed information on a new area I plan on hunting this fall. So Craig (flystraight), if and when I could call in or help get an elk for someone I would have to start there. Next would probably be Indian Summer. He hunts the state I want to hunt elk in the most and have really enjoyed his posts. Heck the muskies were icing on the cake haha.
But like I said before I would hunt with any to get that first hand experience from an elknut vet.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Buglemaster » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Just too many to choose from! Cnelk, Jaquomo, Indian summer would all be at the top of my list. I've huntd a bit with WW already & he's a hoot as wel as old.....like me so could probably keep up with him. Could learn a lot about tree stand hunting with Sweede so he would be up there as well.. Crap, I'd hunt with any of you guises! I still like the idea of a "Colorado chapter" get together someplace where there are some elk.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby GetemDuck » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I wouldn't hunt with any of you NUTZ you'd just make me look bad, my stories are always better when there is no one there to confirm nor deny them :D
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W

Postby N5J » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 7]

A lot of knowledge on this site with a lot of great guys and gals! My list would be Swede and cnelk. The treestand guys...I know I could keep up with them! :D This will my first year treestand hunting, Swede has been very helpful answering my PM's and getting me going in the right direction.

N5J
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby bnsafe » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I would spend time with any of the regulars on here. just to spend a week learning would be awesome, and making new friends. shoot I almost offered to help someone pack an elk out just to learn how to load it etc but figured somebody would think I was trying to steal there spot (which I would never do). im sure there are personalitites that we could all get along with better than others, styles of hunting, etc. off the top of my head though of course a week with paul would be beyond awesome, john fitz would be great to. would love to learn from a week with swede. cnelk, indian summer, rj, etc. just to many.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby pointysticks » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 9]

the list would be long.

if i had to choose one? aron.

love to take a run at an elk with a bonafide gear junkie. learn the long distant hunter ropes. learn how to live out in the back country for extended time with a sub 50lb pack.

the experience would test me physically, i suppose. that would suck ;)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Jaquomo » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I can't pick one or two, and it wouldn't be fair to pick a list because I'd certainly leave some out whom I could learn much from.

But definitely Swede, cnelk, Buglemin, Indian Summer for starters. Buglemaster because he seems like a great guy. WW because he has, like, 80 years experience hunting elk, which is at least 10 years more than me. Aron? - no, because I know him and he'd leave me way behind at my old age. But he could carry my whole elk out on his way back down off the mountain. Freebird so we can debate anthropogenic climate change around the campfire. :) MtnMutt too, mostly because she seems so sincere. Rockchucker because he seems to have a great attitude.

Too many others to name with whom I'd love to share a camp. The guys on this forum are serious about elk hunting. Pretty much everybody would be fun to hunt with, and I could learn something from all.
Jaquomo

Postby Trophyhill » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Conlan on one of his Montana pack in hunts :) move over Scott ;) Jason Phelps, great caller and his tube is always in his hand
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Yes sir, I would be proud to hunt with any here as well, well almost anyone! (grin)

When I first read this topic the 1st name that came to mind was mtnmutt because of what Lou mentioned as well as her determination to get it done! You just gotta love helping folks like that!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby cnelk » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Geez guys...
Looks like I may need a few more wall tents ;)

I too would like to hunt with anyone here that shares the passion I do for elk hunting.

I appreciate and I'm honored that my name is mentioned.

Don't know why tho?
What would you like to accomplish by hunting with me?

I just hunt elk. Sometimes lucky.

Can't learn luck... ;)
cnelk

Last Name: K

Postby Huntography » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Everyone ;)

Rudy
Rudy
Documentary Filmmaker, Huntography

Filming America's Hunters, One at a Time.
http://www.huntography.com/
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby wawhitey » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 15]

you said paul is off the list, but damn id like to follow him to where he got that pig muley buck, was it last year? thing was disgusting. you ever get that thing mounted paul? would love to see pics if its done
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 16]

At times I feel like I have shared a campfire and a cup of coffee with all of you who make this forum a part of your day. I enjoy your wit, wisdom and experiences. I get a kick out of sharing my observations and delivering to you my own flavor of sarcasm. One on my objectives here is to build up this forum. Unapologetically, it has been my hope to help make this the foremost elk information site on the internet. As I have been going through all of the old threads, I have observed how many people who were here a year ago have gone silent. Has their love and awe of elk hunting disappeared like they have? Has their desire to interact with other hunters waned? Maybe they were offended. I don't know. Hopefully they are doing well and are truly satisfied.
I know of no one here that I would not enjoy sharing a hunting camp with. I am not a good cook, and I am not an entertainer. I get focused like a laser on killing an elk. When I am hunting, success is measured by gut piles on the ground. That said, I have some open time in my camp this season where I will be alone for an extended (10-15 day) period. If someone is really interested in hunting out of my camp, then send me a PM. You have to get your own license and tag and you have to get to camp with your own transportation. I will have tree stands up and ready. :D
BTW: I will be gone this 4th of July weekend, so you will not be seeing me post after today.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jaquomo » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Swede, what you describe is fairly common on all interactive forums. There are a lot of forums these days, and some people gravitate to ones that are more like-minded. Others seem to come on in a big blast, posting on every thread for awhile, not necessarily sharing from experience but more interested in getting attention. Some of them actually invented bowhunting for elk, or so it seems. Then after awhile they figure out nobody is worshipping them or they get tired of people calling-out their B.S., so they drift away. Others become lurkers, or get kids, new job, and don't have disposable time to waste like some of the rest of us.

There's a guy who used to post regularly over on that other big channel, who rarely posts anymore. Guy named "Swede", I think. Had a lot to share, good guy. Wonder what ever became of him?? ;)
Jaquomo

Postby one_elk » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 18]

This site host’s a great group of folks and I am sure I would learn ton’s from hunt’n with any of you. I learn a lot just reading your post’s….thanks to all…
one_elk

Postby Bow4Elk » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 19]

It would be great to share the elk camp and hunt experience with most hunters on here.

That being said, I would hunt with any of the brush hunters in Idaho. They all know what I am talking about when I say the average shot is 20 yards or less. Hunting the tag alder thickets and brush is addicting. Having bulls screaming at you so close they rattle your bones but you still can't see them.

I would also love to hunt the Aspens of Colorado some day before I am too old. The years are going by fast.

As long as you like to laugh, hunt hard and eat good I am game.
Bow4Elk

First Name: Ron

Postby Swede » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Jacuomo: The other site just drove me nuts with all of the garbage threads and accusations people were making about others. This site has been better focused and an lot more positive. God forbid that anyone would "worship" anyone here, Elknut included, but I like the respectful atmosphere we have. I fear that some people here, myself included, may be seen as more that we are. I know deep down, I am just an old hunter, who can share some insights with those who have not been so blessed to spend a lifetime in the forest. I was in the woods, riding on a logging Caterpillar when I was still in three cornered pants. Literally. I worked and hunted almost all of my life in the forests. My heart is always out there. Besides being a "elknut" now, I have been the chief harasser. Plenty of credentials, but no papers. I kind of like that, even though I am rather toothless when I bite. :D
Swede

Postby Jaquomo » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Swede, I picture you leading a plow horse while wearing a three-cornered hat!

Like you, I'm just some old guy who spends a lot of time in the woods, and for whom hunting has been a significant part of my lifestyle since I was old enough to drive. And fishing and being a general outdoorsman since old enough to ride a bike.

I've never been to a Labor Day picnic or fair, and whenever people plan barbecues and stuff in September I tend to think to myself, "Aren't people supposed to be hunting something then?" People who don't hunt in September seem to me to be an aimless lot, wandering from craft show to food fair to leaf-peeping drives in the mountains with no real purpose in their wanderings. I've heard there's good fishing then, but can't vouch for it.

Sometimes it feels weird sharing things we take for granted with younger, less experienced hunters. But we had to learn stuff by trial and error. The learning curve is much shorter these days, but I'd rather hunt with people in the woods who know what they're doing than with a bunch of stumblebum idiots marching around honking on calls in bad wind and scaring the elk away.

Seems we still have a lot of work to do in that area...
Jaquomo

Postby elkmtngear » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Swede wrote: Besides being a "elknut" now, I have been the chief harasser. Plenty of credentials, but no papers. I kind of like that, even though I am rather toothless when I bite. :D

Swede, I always pictured your Avatar as being a guy up in a treestand with a very long stick...stirring a large pot down on the ground. It would be much better than your new "moderator" Avatar :lol:

That is a very generous offer you made, and I wish I was hunting Oregon again this Season, I would definitely enjoy sharing a campfire with you (and all the other Elknuts on the site for that matter) 8-)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Jacuomo. I hear you. I can relate completely. Amen.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Seems like I couldnt keep up to most guys on here. So anyone who would slowdown so I could keep up on a mountian side

Maybe I just miss out on such partners. I have e neighbor fellow 20 years younger than me. Keeps nearly begging to hunt together, Last year he didnt hunt much but put a huge 380 bull and 175 whitetail at the Taxidemist
He has 6 boys and the oldest is 12, So I dont think we will have any oppurtunities to hunt nowHis sons are quite the callers,..
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Don't let Jaquomo fool you guys. I just saw him a couple of weeks ago. There is nothing old about him. He is a long legged ridge runner and tough as nails. It would take three of my steps to equal just one of his. By the way, how'd the scouting trip go Jaquomo?

I think I'd kinda like to meet up with Swede sometime. I might even like to hunt with him sometime if he ever sheds his prehensal tail and comes down out of his tree. We have several things in common like God, country, and elk hunting. Not to mention our AARP status!

And you guys are missing the boat if you don't go with Buglemaster sometime. Great guy and even better hunter.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Moose-head » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 26]

The people I thought of right off the bat have been mentioned. I want somebody who is big and dumb who can pack a ton. ;)
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby wawhitey » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Moose-head wrote:The people I thought of right off the bat have been mentioned. I want somebody who is big and dumb who can pack a ton. ;)

hey im 2 out of 3
wawhitey

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Don't mean to be a downer on the thread, but I would give anything to hunt one more time with a partner I lost 10 years ago. Max Wolfred was a true ElkNut!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 29]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:Don't mean to be a downer on the thread, but I would give anything to hunt one more time with a partner I lost 10 years ago. Max Wolfred was a true ElkNut!

Sorry to hear about your old pard John. No downer here, remembering an old friend is a good thing.
WapitiTalk1

Postby mtnmutt » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 30]

Lou and Paul, Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, after 3 days of little sleep and food, I am an unpleasant person and I stink. I also do not know how to speak a complete sentence until after 10 am and 2 cups of coffee. I am not a morning person and find it inconsiderate of the elk to make the first hour of daylight to be the best hunting hour, or maybe I am wrong here.

I would like to hunt with the elknut that will make my breakfast and coffee before I get up, plus be my pack mule. :D However, if it is cowboy coffee than no.

In all honestly, I would want to hunt with a person who has never tagged an elk that I could help them get their first elk. I find much more satisfaction in helping others succeed than helping myself succeed. It may come from doing races. I have complete strangers cheering me on during races, much like the elknuts here. People I had never met before a race this January, made a personal sign to cheer me on for a half marathon. It brought me to tears.

There is one person lurking here that I would love to help get her first elk some season. That would be a bigger high than me getting my first elk. I love seeing others succeed.

On the other hand, I would truly want to share a camp with all of you because you likely would keep me laughing around the campfire and give me tips on what I did wrong that day in the woods. Your passion for elk hunting does rub off on us newbies.

Just so swede doesn't label me a silent ghost... For the next 3 months, I will be more a lurker because work is busy and I am spending more time camping/backpacking and getting ready for the September elk marathon.
mtnmutt

Postby JJ Overkill » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 31]

id like to hunt with, phantom16, cnelk , I could defiantly hang around with swede, like to hunt with many others. trying my hand in trophyhill's camp a couple times this up coming yr if all goes well. looking forward to that.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby Trophyhill » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 32]

jerinmn wrote:id like to hunt with, phantom16, cnelk , I could defiantly hang around with swede, like to hunt with many others. trying my hand in trophyhill's camp a couple times this up coming yr if all goes well. looking forward to that.

Lets see if we can put your boy on one opening morning
Trophyhill

Postby JJ Overkill » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 33]

Trophyhill wrote:
jerinmn wrote:id like to hunt with, phantom16, cnelk , I could defiantly hang around with swede, like to hunt with many others. trying my hand in trophyhill's camp a couple times this up coming yr if all goes well. looking forward to that.

Lets see if we can put your boy on one opening morning

as much as I hate to say it, hes not bow hunting this yr. im still not sure why but he told me last night he wasn't up for it. ???????? im not going to make him go if he really doesn't want to. im not sure why he changed his mind. I really didn't get a straight answer. heck my wife had to tell me that he didn't want to go before he said anything. he didn't want to let me down she said. ??????

I am sad though, I was really looking forward to going hunting with him.
JJ Overkill

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 34]

Deep inhale........ WW (bugle master), Swede (treestand master), JF, Trophy, elkmntngear, cnelk, eltaco, Indian Summer, easeup (he's got ponys), bnsafe, RockChucker30, freebird, Lefty, Jaquomo, wawhitey, buglmin, flystrait, ceetoo, Troy from Kalispell (Glacier Country Hunting Calls), pointysticks, NCelkhungter, Huntography (film master) to name just a few off the top of my head. Some great cats on this forum for sure. Some I'd like to hunt with because they have elk blood in their veins and I could learn from them and give them a break from calling for others. Others, just because they seem like great guys and I'd love to bring a snot nosed, mud caked, alder branches in their rack, PO'ed bull right over the top of them and enjoy their reaction. I didn't mention dotman or dirtyern as we're hunting together this fall. I also didn't mention jerinmn as he baled on me a year or two ago to move to CO (go figure :D ). Just kidding Jeremy, any time. I also didn't mention Slim9300 as he's practically a neighbor and I would imagine at some point, we'll get out . Honestly, I would gladly share a camp with any of you Elknuts.
WapitiTalk1

Postby bnsafe » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 35]

wow, cant believe nobody has picked me yet, :lol: , just kidding tho. a great thread, I was a little worried this morning somebody would take offense to being left out but like always everybody on here is great.
bnsafe

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 36]

bnsafe wrote:wow, cant believe nobody has picked me yet, :lol: , just kidding tho. a great thread, I was a little worried this morning somebody would take offense to being left out but like always everybody on here is great.

Look at my thread above. You're one of the ones I want to call one in for. No knee knocking allowed :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby bnsafe » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 37]

we musta been typing at the same time, I will take it :D . but cant promise on the knee knocking
bnsafe

Postby Swede » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 38]

Mtnmutt: What make you think you are not a silent ghost just because you have a good reason for not posting much? :D
Swede

Postby MTLongdraw » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 39]

My top choices would be Slim, Indian Summer, and Phantom...I might actually be lucky enough to hunt with Backcountry this year though. Who knows with my rotating shift work schedule.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby bnsafe » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 40]

I still think an elknut get together would be awesome
bnsafe

Postby pointysticks » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 41]

bnsafe wrote:wow, cant believe nobody has picked me yet, :lol: , just kidding tho. a great thread, I was a little worried this morning somebody would take offense to being left out but like always everybody on here is great.

Okay. I confess. I'm really a hot chick! And I own a ranch in New Mexico. Let me shake up this list bit. Haha.
pointysticks

Postby Freebird134 » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 42]

Jaquomo wrote: Freebird so we can debate anthropogenic climate change around the campfire. :)

Haha! Sounds good....as long as you can find elk and pack out quarters, you can believe whatever you want :)

I like hunting alone a lot, but would be pretty happy to rock out around a campfire with phantom and eltngear :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby bnsafe » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 43]

with a name like pointysticks I hope your not a hot chick, but if you have a ranch in new mexico................well nevermind :lol: :lol:
bnsafe

Postby pointysticks » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 44]

Haha. No I m a guy.

I would love a get together. I'd go on a hunt just to carry stuff if it meant I got to learn some stuff.
pointysticks

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 45]

pointysticks wrote:Haha. No I m a guy.

I would love a get together. I'd go on a hunt just to carry stuff if it meant I got to learn some stuff.

This is getting a bit suspicious. A guy? A gal from NM with a huge ranch in NM? Perhaps we need a photo soon to confirm your identify ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby bnsafe » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 46]

lol, think we lost focus. pointysticks what state do you live in.
bnsafe

Postby pointysticks » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 47]

No. I was just joking. My land in NM will fit a cabin. No elk. It is in unit 36 tho.

I am a Californian.
pointysticks

Postby FemoralArchery » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 48]

elkaholic, the guy's a local legend around here.

And Lefty, to hear the guy talk about getting kids into hunting that otherwise wouldn't have a chance to. That right there means more to me than any amount of elk killed or skill in the woods. Although, he certainly doesn't seem to be a slouch in those areas either.

When is this get together thing happening?
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby Indian Summer » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 49]

[quote="mtnmutt"] I would want to hunt with a person who has never tagged an elk that I could help them get their first elk. I find much more satisfaction in helping others succeed than helping myself succeed.

There is one person lurking here that I would love to help get her first elk some season. That would be a bigger high than me getting my first elk. I love seeing others succeed. quote]

That's why you make the top my list Patricia... and your lurking friend as well. Being a part of someone's first kill is priceless. I know you will really relish the moment when you are standing next to your first elk. Hey lurker... cmon out of the woodwork!!! Since you describe yourself as crabby and stinky maybe it's about time you add a profile pic to redeem yourself. lol

My partner this year has never seen elk country and I'm looking forward to showing him the ropes. I love to teach. Take a kid hunting... even if they are in their 40s or 50s! ;)

I've known Jaquomo (Lou) for quite a number of years now and I'd like to hunt with him. He's a great guy with good communication skills (I like that) & I know he's a smart cookie that hunts like a dog. Maybe he'll send me home with an elk hat too. I'll hunt with anyone who never gives up and has a good sense of humor even when the going gets rough. Heck... I'd hunt with anyone on this site. No rif raff here. Just ask.

I can't sit still long enough to hunt with Swede or I'd beg him to take me along. I just know we'd have a ball in camp. The guy keeps everyone laughing out loud and wants to know why the elk aren't near camp in the morning! :lol:

I guess I'm the opposite of many on here: The last person I want to hunt with is Paul. lol He'll turn me into his personal pack mule before I have a chance to punch my own tag!!! So uh yeah.... a meet and greet would be great. ha ha
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby slim9300 » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 50]

Trophyhill wrote:Conlan on one of his Montana pack in hunts :) move over Scott ;) Jason Phelps, great caller and his tube is always in his hand

Just saw this topic! Uh oh. Scott is a little upset about your comments David. ;)
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300

Postby Trophyhill » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 51]

slim9300 wrote:
Trophyhill wrote:Conlan on one of his Montana pack in hunts :) move over Scott ;) Jason Phelps, great caller and his tube is always in his hand

Just saw this topic! Uh oh. Scott is a little upset about your comments David. ;)

Lol doesn't he have an anniversary or birthday to attend in September now? :)
Trophyhill

Postby slim9300 » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 52]

Trophyhill wrote:
slim9300 wrote:

Lol doesn't he have an anniversary or birthday to attend in September now? :)

His anniversary is the 29th of Sept. Tell me that's not a stupid idea. ;)

Needless to say he doesn't make a lot of anniversary dinners.
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
slim9300

Postby Seminole » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 53]

Paul, Paul Jr., Clayton, Joe, Greg, my brother Abe,and Lou. Yep, that's my All Star list.
Seminole

First Name: Noah
Last Name: McKinnon

Postby Seminole » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 54]

Trophy hill too!
Seminole

Postby welka » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 55]

Been with Seminole and brother Abe and will likely do that again in the future. Talked with Elknut enough that would die to go with him, but I wouldn't make it 1/2 mile with my ankle. I have 60 tree stands on my land in MS so Swede and I could swap lots of stories. Jaquomo has helped me several times on BS and I agree with IS that he knows his stuff. However, once you stay at an Indian Summer's camp, you would be hard pressed to want to go anywhere else. I am down to probably my last 10 years of elk hunting if I am fortunate enough to have my ankle make it so we will be concentrating on two areas we know well. Probably couldn't go wrong picking any on this site. Good luck to all.
welka

Postby Indian Summer » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 56]

Thanks Welka for the kind words! You and Frank know I'd hunt with you guys anytime anywhere. Same goes for Noah and Abe. I'm sure one day we will end up in Wyoming together too. So many mountains, such little time. I figure I have about 10 years left myself doing it the way I do. After that I might consider hiring an outfitter to at least ride me in and pack my monster bulls out! :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby Aron Snyder » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 57]

I'd hunt with any if you! Some wouldn't make it back, but we'd at least head in together (just kidding).

Partners in bivy/backpack hunting is like a marriage, and it's pretty tough finding the right guy:)
Aron Snyder

First Name: Aron
Last Name: Snyder

Postby cnelk » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 58]

Aron Snyder wrote:Partners in bivy/backpack hunting is like a marriage, and it's pretty tough finding the right guy:)

Partners on any hunt is like a marriage.
And it's not 50/50...

It's 100% - 100%
cnelk

Postby JJ Overkill » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 59]

hey trophy, tomins back in for the hunt, I have been going through all my gear and starting to prep. I guess hes catching some of my excitement.

KIDS, I love em to death but sometimes they drive me insane
JJ Overkill

Postby Jaquomo » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 60]

Guys, thanks for the kind words, but somehow I get the feeling that most, if not all of the seroius elk hunters who participate on this site would be great to hunt with. Except Aron, who would likely be giving me CPR at some point. Ah, I remember those days, but am now where Indian Summer is; Looking at having 10 more years of pushing it to hunt the way I like to hunt. And it's weird to be nursing a hip strain from overtraining when I've never had something like that before, and should be pumping up the ridge behind my house right now instead of sitting on the deck looking for moose.

Do it to the max while you can, because you never what's coming down the pike.
Jaquomo

Postby ABQ_Chica » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 61]

Although I'd love to hunt with any of the elknuts, my first choice would be mtnmutt. I know she puts in the effort to scout and find elk, prepares herself like nobody's business, and takes bowhunting ethics very seriously. She's always been generous with advice, ideas, and encouragement, and even with offers to help. We've had the good fortune share elk talk for a long time now and maybe someday we'll hunt together, too.
ABQ_Chica

Postby slim9300 » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 62]

Aron Snyder wrote:I'd hunt with any if you! Some wouldn't make it back, but we'd at least head in together (just kidding).

Partners in bivy/backpack hunting is like a marriage, and it's pretty tough finding the right guy:)

This is a fact! I have said many times that it's harder to find a reliable partner (many aspects of this I may add) than a wife, but maybe I got lucky in the wife dept. lol.
slim9300

Postby Glacier Country » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 63]

My list of Elknuts would be pretty long.Way too many to list! I think there are quite a few guys on here that I would like to learn something from. My shortlist would be ... John Fitzgerald, Craig (flystrait) Really good guys that I think our hunting Style would work well together!
Aron Snyder ( he is just a Beast! and a walking book of anything backpacking knowledge!!!)
Of Course RJ, we have probably hunted some of the same spots.
I would like to learn some tree stand techniques from Swede and Cnelk.That might be handy at some point.

It might surprise some of you , but I would like to go with Jason Phelps and Travis O'Shea (Wapiti), I think our hunting style is similar and as fellow call makers, we would have a lot to talk about.
Huntography,I like what Rudy is doing. I know how hard it is to film elk hunts. I have tried to do all of the calling, video, and shooting all by myself. Really tough!
Indian Summer, lots of good advice.
I have to go for now but the list goes on and on. If you don't see your name on here it doesn't mean I wouldn't go with you...I just don't have time to type it all out! Have a great hunt Troy
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

First Name: Troy

Postby Indian Summer » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 64]

ABQ_Chica wrote:Although I'd love to hunt with any of the elknuts, my first choice would be mtnmutt. I know she puts in the effort to scout and find elk, prepares herself like nobody's business, and takes bowhunting ethics very seriously. She's always been generous with advice, ideas, and encouragement, and even with offers to help. We've had the good fortune share elk talk for a long time now and maybe someday we'll hunt together, too.

Where's the damn "like" button?
Indian Summer

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 65]

Glacier Country wrote:It might surprise some of you , but I would like to go with Jason Phelps and Travis O'Shea (Wapiti), I think our hunting style is similar and as fellow call makers, we would have a lot to talk about.

We would have to come up with a strategic way to see who got to do the calling :lol:
PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 66]

Glacier Country wrote:My list of Elknuts would be pretty long.Way too many to list! I think there are quite a few guys on here that I would like to learn something from. My shortlist would be ... John Fitzgerald, Craig (flystrait) Really good guys that I think our hunting Style would work well together!
Aron Snyder ( he is just a Beast! and a walking book of anything backpacking knowledge!!!)
Of Course RJ, we have probably hunted some of the same spots.
I would like to learn some tree stand techniques from Swede and Cnelk.That might be handy at some point.

It might surprise some of you , but I would like to go with Jason Phelps and Travis O'Shea (Wapiti), I think our hunting style is similar and as fellow call makers, we would have a lot to talk about.
Huntography,I like what Rudy is doing. I know how hard it is to film elk hunts. I have tried to do all of the calling, video, and shooting all by myself. Really tough!
Indian Summer, lots of good advice.
I have to go for now but the list goes on and on. If you don't see your name on here it doesn't mean I wouldn't go with you...I just don't have time to type it all out! Have a great hunt Troy

One day Troy, one day, we will hunt together bud! ;)

Thanks to the other two that mentioned my name(bnsafe and RJ). I would be proud to hunt with either of you.

jf
JohnFitzgerald

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 67]

PHELPS GAME CALLS wrote:
Glacier Country wrote:It might surprise some of you , but I would like to go with Jason Phelps and Travis O'Shea (Wapiti), I think our hunting style is similar and as fellow call makers, we would have a lot to talk about.

We would have to come up with a strategic way to see who got to do the calling :lol:

Problem solved! How about you both can call for me. Finally, I would get a chance to see how the other half live!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Glacier Country » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 68]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:
PHELPS GAME CALLS wrote:

Problem solved! How about you both can call for me. Finally, I would get a chance to see how the other half live!

Sounds like a plan! Rock, paper, scissors to see who will call first. LOL.
John, we will go, and I will call for you! Hope you get a big Bull Too!
Also I would go with WW, by the end of the trip he would probably be a pretty good contest caller. Sorry WW I couldn't resist. Huge Grin.
All kidding aside, there are some guys on here that would be a blast to hunt with.
Aron Snyder would probably have to pack me back out though.
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

First Name: Troy

Postby Seminole » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 69]

This is what I really like about this sight... Givers not takers.
Seminole

Postby ChukarNUT » 07 14, 2013 •  [Post 70]

1. indian summer, love his outlook on wanting to help others--come to oregon this year?? :roll: . 2. Snelk-hunting style and approach 3. Johnfitzgerald-eastern oregon boys unite! 4. Elkmtngear- great attitude and would love to hunt with a decoy master 4. rockchucker30- intellect and our backcountry styles align perfectly. But honestly any elknut with a great attitude and sound hunting ethics I would be more than willing to share camp with. Anyone that ever wants to hunt eastern oregon, primarily in the eagle cap wilderness id definitely be in! or someone crazy enough to want to experience world class chukar hunting, im found most free days from oct-jan chasing them with a bearded ugly dog over the deepest canyon in the united states!!
ChukarNUT

First Name: Brian

Postby Indian Summer » 07 14, 2013 •  [Post 71]

Wow Brian I sure appreciate the offer. Every time I see someone say they'd like to hunt with me I'm flattered. I know I don't sound it at times but I'm a pretty low key guy and believe it or not I'd be intimidated to hunt with alot of people on this site. A couple I'd jump at the chance. Be careful or you'll find yourself running around with 2 ugly bearded dogs! Maybe some time you can tell me more about what's going on with the elk over there. I'm ALWAYS interested in elk elk & more elk.

As far as my outlook on helping others: It carries right over from my fishing. Fishermen are known for (other than lying) keeping their spots lures etc top secret. Just like elk hunters. But I had some very knowledgeable people pass things on to me and found out pretty quick that it can be self rewarding to do the same. Interestingly these days after mastering a thing or two I help out a lot of the people who helped me when I started. I am forever in their debt.

The way I look at it I can't hunt all of Montana Wyoming etc on my own. So why should I go to the grave with all of the info I could be handing down to others. I have a couple first time elk hunters under my wing this year. Heck yeah I hope to kill a bull of my own but I can tell you that I feel more pressure for my newbies to have great hunts than for my own success. I hope they find see and hear elk and I hope they can actually pull it all together, get a legit shot opportunity, and make it count. I wonder which ones will become long term elk hunters and which ones will find out that the mountains aren't for them or their partners.

The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation made "Pass It On" their slogan years ago. I love that and I've been doing it for years. But I can tell you something: Since I started participating on this website and meeting what I consider to be the most humble appreciative bunch of folks you could ever find on the internet I've really been consumed with passing it all on. I didn't come here to learn really. I didn't come here as a pro staffer for the employee benefits either. lol I knew Paul for quite awhile before he started ElkNut forums and so I knew there would be something here that you just don't find anywhere else: Integrity. So I decided that it would be worth my time and effort to try to make it a better site. One of my first threads was "HEY LURKERS" which was a big success. I can honestly say that every time I see a post from people like MtnMutt, ABQ_Chica and many others I love it. It's great to know that somewhere out there in cyberspace people find their way here & become comfortable enough to register realizing that nobody here bites and nobody here claims to be any better or smarter than the next guy or girl. Maybe just a bit more experience at something that's all. Those are the people I like to talk to and help if I can. They are the ones who I think are really thirsty for info but think they have nothing to offer in return. Actually they have what I'm looking for: Gratitude!

Gratitude: Noun. The quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.

So not just thankfulness, but the willingness to remember their early days and pass it on to others like someone did for them.

At one point I was asked: What would you like your title to be. Hmm.... philosopher? :lol: I can ramble. But I went with "Logistics Planner". I can talk about equipment, calling, & hunting scenarios etc all day long. But I think what people really want... and what they really need or everything else could be worthless.... is a place to try it all out with a good solid plan. The down and dirt nitty gritty one that goes something like park here, hike here, camp right here, and look for elk here here & here. I haven't actually hammered out my ideas on putting that all together from scratch. I have talked about where on a big ol mountain I would start looking for elk once I pick a mountain. If people ask I'll ramble. I wonder if my posts get lost in all of the other ones with great ideas and opinions. I can tell you that when I take the time to reply it's because I think the question was a very valid one and if the person who took the time to ask it is smart enough to ask they deserve a good detailed answer if I have one to offer.

Listen... I screwed up my life years ago by making elk hunting my #1 priority. Why stop now right? :lol: It might be hard to imagine... maybe not for those who have kids, but there comes a point where you get as much or even more self satisfaction out of watching someone achieve their goal knowing that you helped make it happen. I'll sit at the wheel in the boat staring at the sonar and GPS and decide what we use and where we fish etc.... and yell ""there's one get him!" to someone else letting them reel them in all day long. I know I caught the fish. I like that. But I LOVE when I can bring things full circle by calling the guys who taught me everything I know and say hey I need to let you in on a few things happening on Lake X. So what do you think I hope for at the end of this season? Two things (a dead bull of my own would be 3) For my newbies to have close encounters with elk... pretty simple. Not asking that they kill an elk because I really don't know their abilities. But also that they pass on to me every single thing they saw or heard. Details about every trail, every other hunter or camp you may see, every bugle and elk sighting. I have a few who are hunting places I have hunted and may hunt again. I ask them to keep a journal and give me the report good bad or ugly. I guess the idea is to increase my scope of learning by leaps and bounds far and wide. If there is one other thing I'd hope for it's that they choose the right people to take under their wing and keep it going. Anything they tell me will end up benefitting others too.

One thing that motivates & haunts me these days is that hunters are a minority and there are less of us every year. I hope I'm slowing that process down for what it's worth. I've been so freakin busy lately I haven't posted for awhile. I guess I got that out of my system for now huh! :roll:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't guilty of wishing the summer away.
Indian Summer

Postby elkmtngear » 07 14, 2013 •  [Post 72]

ChukarNUT wrote: or someone crazy enough to want to experience world class chukar hunting, im found most free days from oct-jan chasing them with a bearded ugly dog over the deepest canyon in the united states!!

ChukarNUT, I've got a two year old Shorthair that is ready to move up into the "big leagues". We've done some club hunts with her, and chased some wild valley quail around. I'd love to experience a REAL chukar hunt sometime :)

How about I bring a shotgun and you pack your bow...that should even the odds ;)

All kidding aside, I'm quite honored that you mentioned me, and would seriously love to have you walk my legs off in those canyons!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby cnelk » 07 14, 2013 •  [Post 73]

Brian
Once again I am honored that someone that I don't know would want to hunt with me.

And once again, I don't know why?
I just hunt.

I love helping first timers get their elk.
This year, it's my son that's in the batters box with his bow.

And if he connects, my season will be a success. He will be number 8 that I helped tag out for their 1st archery elk.

Pass it on.
cnelk

Postby eriks. » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 74]

Everyone that posts on here seem like quality people and that's one of the things I appreciate the most about this site. Everyone seems real. That's not what you will normally find on other sites.

I am sarcastic so I like Swede's sensibilities and it's fun to see the ribbing he gets from others.

I'd feel honored to get to hunt with anyone on here, but I would like very much to hunt with some of the veteran hunters that could teach this "old dog" some new tricks!

I think a get together would be great! I'd love to meet you guys face to face!!
Maybe Freebird and Jaquomo could bring their graphs and charts and we could have a anthropogenic climate change showdown! Yeah, I had to look back to see how to spell that! lol
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby ChukarNUT » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 75]

elkmtngear wrote:
ChukarNUT wrote: or someone crazy enough to want to experience world class chukar hunting, im found most free days from oct-jan chasing them with a bearded ugly dog over the deepest canyon in the united states!!

ChukarNUT, I've got a two year old Shorthair that is ready to move up into the "big leagues". We've done some club hunts with her, and chased some wild valley quail around. I'd love to experience a REAL chukar hunt sometime :)

How about I bring a shotgun and you pack your bow...that should even the odds ;)

All kidding aside, I'm quite honored that you mentioned me, and would seriously love to have you walk my legs off in those canyons!

Thats a might fine point!! Cant wait to get our dogs on some of those evil-evil birds! :D Ive found the more boxes of shells you go through each day, the more birds you get--weird?? ;) hey in baseball terms 1 for 4 isnt that bad of a hitting average... :lol: just need to work more o.t. now to afford all of those shells for bird season!!
ChukarNUT

First Name: Brian