Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Blind Calling Setups

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Blind Calling Setups

Postby NCelkhtr » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

there will be 4 of us in elk camp this year and hunting in pairs except we may do some blind calling setups a couple of days. Of those of you that use this tactic how long do you stay at one set up before moving? It being the first 2 weeks of the season do you use all cow calls or throw a bull in a time or two? Is there certin parts of the day that are better than others for this?
NCelkhtr

First Name: Zack
Last Name: Benfield

Re: Blind Calling Setups

Postby treestanding » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I would also be interested in hearing about the specific tactics that people are using. This year will be my 3rd year elk hunting, so I'm still pretty green. I just got the "Worse Than Wolves" dvd, bur have not had time to watch much of it yet. I have done some blind calling in the past years with no sucess. I am looking for a good morning tactic, and was hoping blind calling would be the thing. Afternoon we usually do spot and stalk, or water hole sitting.

The calls that I usually did was cow calls with a spike bugle thrown in. I stay in a spot for 45 minutes, and repeat the calling sequence 2 more times 15 minutes apart. My best guess is that I am calling to much. This year I figured I try just calling once and leave it at that.

Opinions please! I would love to hear the details of your calling tactics.

Happy Independence Day!
treestanding

First Name: Tim
Last Name: Blackwood

Postby AmericanBwana » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I followed WW's advise a couple of years ago on opening day.

Called for about 10 minutes, then waited 45 minutes. I had a cow and calf come within 5 yards of me right at the 45 minute mark.

Calling sequence was basically cows and spike squeals.

And she came right to where I called from. She would have ran into me if she hadn't scented me.

Great fun.

AB
AmericanBwana

First Name: Dana
Last Name: Gertsch

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

We use cold call setups all the time. Lone rags, spikes, and cows get dirt naps every year by our cold call setups. What you need to understand is that calling just to make sound doesn't always work. Sure, you will get elk to come in. But if you really want to increase your odds, call with a purpose.

Weather chasing or cold calling, you need to start by building the scenario in your mind. Then when you have the plan, put it into action. As you do this, make sure to keep in mind the 7 Golden Elk Calling Rules.

1) Elk are curious.
2) Elk are social and herd animals.
3) Bulls would rather you go to them.
4) All bulls have the instinct to rut.
5) Bulls will try to keep every cow.
6) Bulls will try gain any cow but not at the risk of loosing one of their own.
7) Herd bulls can be challenged for dominance, but only when you're within their comfort zone

So here's just one of many scenario's you can use.

Lone bulls can be very curious(# 1 rule) as to who the "new guy" is. So I might just give location bugle after location bugle for 5 - 10 minutes and then wait 20 to see if anything comes in.

There are so many scenarios you can create and deploy. They can be as simple as the Estrus Buzz or as complex as a breeding or battling bull sequence. But always say to yourself, if I was an elk and I heard this sequence, would it make sense?

So to answer your questions, don't think of it as should I just use cow sounds or bull sounds. Think of it as what calling sequences would work best. Wait time depends on what picture your trying to paint in the elk's mind.

Be creative but also smart!

Just my 2-cents!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby welka » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

It took us 2 years with an average guide, 2 years of rookie on our own mistakes, buy the 4 Elknut DVDs, talk to Paul three times in 2 years and I think we finally understand the blind calling setups that give us the greatest potential for a shot. Definitely 45 minutes after initial set up calling and a couple of chirps every 10. Best idea is to get the playbook and memorize that section. Good luck.
welka

Postby Yogi » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I used this tactic last year for the first time on every hunt I went on from the start of the season to the end. It works. Like John F. said, create the scenario. Don't over call. I used cow and calf sounds with occasional spike squeels. Only two in an hour. Wait an hour. Look at your watch. I messed up my son who had a bull at 20 yds. when I moved to his location after 45 minutes. He still loves me. I felt horrible. We called in several bulls over the month of September. They came in silent. Listen for hoof sounds and crunching limbs, it might be the only indication you get. It helps if you have your 15 yo son who has better hearing. Find an elky area, make sure your wind is good and give it time. They will come. I ended up getting a spike. He ran in like a lost dog. Pretty exciting.
Yogi

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Wilkes

Postby Glacier Country » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 7]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:We use cold call setups all the time. Lone rags, spikes, and cows get dirt naps every year by our cold call setups. What you need to understand is that calling just to make sound doesn't always work. Sure, you will get elk to come in. But if you really want to increase your odds, call with a purpose.

Weather chasing or cold calling, you need to start by building the scenario in your mind. Then when you have the plan, put it into action. As you do this, make sure to keep in mind the 7 Golden Elk Calling Rules.

1) Elk are curious.
2) Elk are social and herd animals.
3) Bulls would rather you go to them.
4) All bulls have the instinct to rut.
5) Bulls will try to keep every cow.
6) Bulls will try gain any cow but not at the risk of loosing one of their own.
7) Herd bulls can be challenged for dominance, but only when you're within their comfort zone

So here's just one of many scenario's you can use.

Lone bulls can be very curious(# 1 rule) as to who the "new guy" is. So I might just give location bugle after location bugle for 5 - 10 minutes and then wait 20 to see if anything comes in.

There are so many scenarios you can create and deploy. They can be as simple as the Estrus Buzz or as complex as a breeding or battling bull sequence. But always say to yourself, if I was an elk and I heard this sequence, would it make sense?

So to answer your questions, don't think of it as should I just use cow sounds or bull sounds. Think of it as what calling sequences would work best. Wait time depends on what picture your trying to paint in the elk's mind.

Be creative but also smart!

Just my 2-cents!

This is the Real Deal in a nutshell boys! Nothin but MONEY if you can shoot straight.Great Advice John.
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

First Name: Troy