Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What does it take for a kid to go archery elk hunting?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What does it take for a kid to go archery elk hunting?

Postby cnelk » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

My son is 16.
He is going with us this year and hunting long weekends when he can.

He has a new bow, practices out to 40 yds, and has taken an elk with a rifle.
I've monitor his shooting, he knows the country, knows how to cow call
I cant wait to see him whither when an elk comes storming in...

Will he have what it takes?

Time will tell

What does it really take as a youngster nowadays to make it in the elk woods?
[Its been a few years since I was that age :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: What does it take for a kid to go archery elk hunting?

Postby bnsafe » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

the same as when you and I were young, just the DESIRE
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby elkaholic » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

A couple years ago my buddy took his son who was either four or five. The little fella even had a little bow with toy arrows. Granted they didn't get very far out, but he was able to bring a spike in close enough for the little guy to draw on him. That kid was all grins for weeks. It was all he could talk about.

If there is interest and conditions are good for it, take them.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby mtnmutt » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

If he has your DNA, he probably wont whither.

Get him to practice deep breathing until it is second nature. I do this before I draw for every shot.

My first elk (4x4) at 16 yards, I was useless for minutes due to shaking. I eventually stopped shaking but it was minutes. Bull was still standing there looking at me like I was a fool.

Second elk (6x6) at 30-35 yards, I had trouble for about 15 seconds until I remembered to breathe deeply. For me, it is to remember to breathe deeply. I now practice deep breathing while hiking and on work conference calls. It made a world of difference. Also keeps me from falling asleep.
mtnmutt

Postby FemoralArchery » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I haven't figured out what it takes as an adult yet, so I couldn't say.

3 years ago, we had 4 bulls come into range, I drew as soon as I could see their racks and then they were in sight. They weren't 25 yards away from me, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my sight picture. Oh, there's the problem, my peep/string/release hand were about 6 inches away from my face. That, and I was shaking so bad I couldn't have hit a moose at that distance.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby elkmtngear » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 6]

cnelk wrote:Will he have what it takes?

From your description, it sounds to me like he is primed and ready! I hope you guys really get into them!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Migolito » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 7]

cnelk wrote:
What does it really take as a youngster nowadays to make it in the elk woods?
[Its been a few years since I was that age :)

A dad just like you.
Migolito

First Name: Mike

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 8]

There is a difference in taking a kid hunting, and that same young person being the shooter.

The bar is very low for taking one hunting. I went deer hunting when I was four. I didn't bowhunt until I had several deer under my belt with a rifle.

For being the shooter, I'd say the bar is higher. First, you must be able to comfortably pull and accurately shoot a bow of the legal poundage. Second, limit shot distances to what you both feel comfortable with. If he can chin that bar, then cut him loose.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby Bullnuts » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 9]

A good patient mentor is the number one requirement. Most kids these days are all about instant gratification and living in front of video games where there's constant action. Fighting boredom is always a big one, because even though you're moving around from place to place, setting up, working the calls, etc. you won't always have an elk come in or even answer and kids, having seen a number of video hunts on TV, expect instant action. It's easy for them to become discouraged and frustrated. Mentoring includes what to do when the elk are in front of them, as well as how to keep upbeat when they aren't...for days. Good mentors stay positive and encourage their students while teaching them the basics of reading sign, finding good elk habitat, what makes an elk want to go to or stay in one particular type of area versus another. Good mentors also remain calm when a stalk is ruined or when a kid steps on and breaks a stump when you're trying to be quiet. They forgive a sneeze or a cough.
If you're a good mentor, your son will have the time of his life, even if you don't end up putting an elk on the ground. Every experience, success or failure, will eventually lead to the ultimate goal. Embrace the experience with your son and take a ton of photos while you're out there. Those are the memories that both of you will cherish! Good luck
Bullnuts

Postby Lefty » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I take lots of newbies goose hunting
Most are plenty aware of gun safety. and do very well.
But so many lack common sence and wood smarts There is only one way to learn both of those, a good mentor and expierince
The other big thing is "patience"
In 5 years you will have the best possible partner out there

As a kid my brother an I were deer hunting with our dad and his buddiy and his two boys My broher picked up a rock the size of a tennis ball to throw into the woods , the rock stuck to my brothers glove and didnt land where my brother was thowing. My dads buddy lost it, " Thats why we shouldnt have kids with us hunting" He even ment his own boys too. We didnt hunt with him for two years and his boys didnt hunt those 2 years as teenagers.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby GetemDuck » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 11]

CNELKJR will do great, he has had one of the best teachers i know . I look forward to hearing the stories and seeing the photos. Have a great season and enjoy the hunt they make for great memories take lots of photos. :D
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W

Postby Bow4Elk » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Since he has already elk hunted with a rifle he knows what to expect and you know he can handle it. One of the mail things to make sure they know is that just because they see elk doesn't mean they are going to get a shot. Let them know ahead of time that everything has to fall into place to get the shot. I waited till my son was 15 to take to Idaho with us. I knew the steep brushy country would be hard on a young hunter and wanted to make sure he could handle it. The first night after setting up camp we went on a recon mission for the next day. Called in a 6X6 and he shot it at 20 yards. His two uncles got to help pack elk the next morning before they even got to hunt. He was sold on bow hunting. He called in a bull for me a few days later but made a mistake and cow called when the bull was too close and he busted us. He learned from that and two years later called in his own bull. Part of what you can and can't teach them is when to move and when to stay put. Make sure the wind is in their favor and I told him to put himself in front of cover and not behind it. Slow movements can be made if they are not watching you. Elk sounds (brush noise, snapping sticks, foot plods) are not bad but human sounds (metallic, fabric, coughing, sneezing, etc) are. I always packed a lot of food for him to eat to make sure he was energized along with ample water. He carried most of his own but I always took special things for him to enjoy. Enjoy the time with him most of all. We always hunt together (except the time he called in his own elk) and enjoy the beauty of the forest. Sit and talk for a bit during the day and eat good food at night.
Bow4Elk

First Name: Ron

Postby Garrett Drach » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I think most of the critical components required to get a kid to go hunting in general have been mentioned. I've taken a lot of kids on their first turkey and deer hunts and nothing will halt an otherwise good hunt faster than if the kid gets hungry, cold or tired. Snacks are a huge part of these kid's hunts, and I also bring plenty of extra clothes and hand warmers. Letting them own a portion of their hunt by allowing them to make decisions keeps their head in the game. And if they're tied, let them take a nap. I usually ask them at the end of the day if they would like to come with next time, if they answer "sure" or "yah" I consider the day a success.
Garrett Drach

First Name: Garrett
Last Name: Drach

Postby Trophyhill » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 14]

What it takes for a kid to go hunting....... Seems pretty simple to me. A parent(s), uncle, brother, cousin etc to take them and have good teaching skills to tailor the hunt towards the kids needs. Don't hike his ass into the ground and make him hate you and elk hunting for it. Don't pressure the kid either. Find a suitable pace for the kid to learn at a rate the kid is comfortable with. Just my .02
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B