Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Average depth of bull elks chest

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Average depth of bull elks chest

Postby dapper » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 1]

What would you say is the depth of an average bull elks chest, from top of shoulders to bottom of chest. I've looked online and come up with anything from 24 to 32 inches. The reason I want to know, I'm going to cut a piece of cardboard to that size, place it one my archery target, then step back until I get that to fit between my first and second pin on my bowsight, then between my first and third pin and so forth. I will record the distances for future use. If a bull comes in quickly, I then have references for yardage if I don't have time for the rangefinder.
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Re: Average depth of bull elks chest

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Of course depends on size of the bull but 30"-32" is a fair estimate.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Great thought but elk come in all different sizes. I never carry a rangefinder when elk hunting so here is how I do it. Practice your yardage estimation skills. Just about anyone can guess what 10 yards is. Then simply count the number of tens it is to the target. Another trick for todays modern bows is to have a pin set at 25 yards. Most of todays bows will allow you to hold dead on from point blank out to about +or- thirty yards and still hit in the kill zone with a little experimenting. Mine is about 3 inches hi at 10 yards and 3 inches low at 30 with a pin set at 25 yards. Only problem is, if you are one of those dead on target shooters, the above method isn't worth a crap! LOL!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby lang » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 4]

+1 ww My first pin is 30 yards. Anything closer is easier to guesstimate, and won't get you more than a couple inches high on most of todays setups. Get one within 10 yards and all your pins fit in the vitals anyway.
lang

First Name: Bryan

Postby planebow » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I use one of the range finders that fit inside the sight. Has several pins to adjust. I just use this if I dont have time to use my Vortex range finder. The problem that I have is hunting the Breaks in eastern MT is judging the distance across a ravine. I am always guessing that the distance is a lot farther than it is. I usually dont have much trouble judging otherwize.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby dapper » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

My first of three pins is currently set at thirty, knowing that aimin low in his chest will take care of anything that distance and closer. But I'm looking for a secondary way of judging distance if action come on quick and I had no time to use my rangefinder. Last year in the mountains I estimated distances and on slopes I usually guess short on downhill spots and long on uphill spots. I realize every bulls chest is not the same but I thought probably could get me in the ballpark. Here at down I just do the guessing in 10 yards increments until I come up with the total. Not sure that works so well in the mountains where theres trees down everywhere and slopes. Thanks for your replys. I believe I'll take elknuts 30" , the smaller size (I hunt on public ground and I hear bulls aren't all that big where we hunt) and see what I come up with. My first choice will always be to use the rangefinder when feasible.
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Postby westaner » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I use the same small range finder that planebow uses , sticks to the inside of site , it works when the bulls are in cover to thick for a laser range finder. So when they do cross a open spot suddenly I can stop him with a nervous grunt and let one fly! How many times has bull walked thru a unkown shooting lane? A few years back i measured 4 different bulls bodys ,from a rag to a 7 point. Small bulls were 27" and the largest was 30" , so I used a cardboard 29" for setting up my site.
These are measurements for rocky mountain elk in my area , near yellowstone . Yours may have better genetics ,mine are known for liveing shorter lives because of floride in streams and volcanic sands wearing teeth down .
Good luck
westaner

First Name: K.C.