Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

whats this bull saying?

Postby mandrroofing » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Are these chuckles or what?
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Re: whats this bull saying?

Postby mandrroofing » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

[quote="mandrroofing"]Are these chuckles or what?

He makes the sound at the 1min 10 sec mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNj5a9CpqYk
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby elkmtngear » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Yeah I'm going with chuckling because the the rapid nature of the vocalization.

I'm guessing the caller was cow calling, and this bull is basically saying "get your a$$ over here" ;) Could be a lone bull, or he might have a few cows back in the timber.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Wapitibob » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 4]

The first bull I ever called in way back when chucked like that. He was a lone bull and I never made a cow sound, bugle and raking only. I had to chase him for a while but he eventually stopped, chuckled at my last bugle then came in to about 2 feet.
I agree he's wanting to see you but I don't think it has anything to do with Cows.
Wapitibob

Postby stringunner » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Different sounding bull or the camera changed the way it sounded. Chuckling I think, asking for a visual.
stringunner

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

It was chuckling for sure. Hunters get certain thoughts & ideas in their mind as to why a sound would be heard, instead we should be thinking why is that bull making the sound or why & when is that sound used by the elk? A chuckle can be used by any bull, why do they chuckle? Does it only apply to cows? Of course not, no more that you asking your wife, girlfriend, kids, friends, etc. to come over your way or where are you, you use the same exact words to any of them in a form of communication, elk do this exact thing. Chuckling in most situations is all about the cows, not only about the cows but mostly about them. These chuckles can apply to bulls as well but it's not as common place as a bull using them during phases of the rut to attract the opposite gender. So let's not get hung up that it applies to cows only or bulls only. It's just communication conveying an elks feelings or sending a message.

As bulls testosterone levels rise urges of breeding increase, some at a faster pace than others. It's common to hear bulls as the one in the video to use that chuckling in several different instances but the meaning is basically the same in all situations. Chuckling can be used to call cows ones way whether they see them, hear them, smell them or desire them, it's a non threating form of communication. It's common as well for juvenile bulls to use this chuckling on a regular basis amongst themselves.

So basically chuckling is used in calling other elk to you or asking where are you or are there other elk in the area.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul