Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

one eye closed or both open

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby jwhite22 » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 1]

so I've noticed that some people I think...keep both eyes open when shooting there bow? I've always closed my left eye when shooting right handed, but recently tried with both eyes open and it still seems like my dominate eye can sight the targeted pinned and can shoot accurately.

What way do you guys shoot? is there an advantage to either? While hunting does it have any advantages?
jwhite22

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: White

Re: one eye closed or both open

Postby JJ Overkill » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I really don't have the option of shooting with both eyes open, im right handed but left eye dominate. ive tried to shot both open but my left eye takes over.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby twinkieman » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 3]

II shoot with both eyes open. It can take a little bit to get used to. The military proved decades ago, that shooting both eyes open through a rifle peep, the shooter automatically centered the sight aperature in the center of the peep. That is why I choose to shoot both eyes open.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby mandrroofing » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I actually partially close my non shooting eye to were I can just barley see out of it
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby pointysticks » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 5]

i'm like jerin..wacky. i have no other options. i;ve tried both eyes opened..but i have to start closed to remember which fuzzy orb to use. it sucks.

i will try a lefty bow before i make my next purchase. i have friends that switched and they shoot better than ever. not so sure i have the stones to try it.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby elkmtngear » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Both eyes open, but I shoot instinctive
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Both eyes open.
PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby Trophyhill » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Both eyes open. I want to see everything. IMO you miss too much visual info with just one eye open.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby jwhite22 » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Thanks for the input! I started shooting archery in 7th grade and hunted a couple years, but stopped because baseball and others sports took over. I have started shooting again this year at age 32 and don't have buddies that I shoot with so when I have questions like this I appreciate the feed back. When I tried it I liked the full view that you got when shooting with both eyes open and the accuracy was still there if not better! It does take some getting used to. I'm looking for the best technique that makes me most deadly come fall and didn't want to be shooting in a manner that would screw me up in the field. So luckily either way I do it I'm still able to shoot straight. Thanks again
jwhite22

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: White

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 10]

With a recurve I keep both open. With a compound I keep both open out to 50-60 yards but I close my left eye at longer yardages. It helps me concentrate.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby GetemDuck » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I shoot both eyes closed that way i don't know if i missed or not. :)

I shoot one eye closed most of the time, i do play around with both eyes open but i don't see enough extra for me to push for the switch. Guys say it is to see more but i don't see more of anything important, the split second i trip my release my eye open so it comes down to what works for you. those who have eye dominance issues if it ain't broke don't fix it. I started shooting bows at the age of 6 all was well till i was 10 then for some reason my eyes made a change, i was a left handed shooter who become right eye dominate almost over night and i could not close my right eye by itself to tell it to shut up. So after like 4 years of shooting i had to sell my gear buy new (well my parents did...them not happy) and start over it was not fun, i felt like a newbie for the whole summer....but i got over it.
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W

Postby cnelk » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 12]

mandrroofing wrote:I actually partially close my non shooting eye to were I can just barley see out of it

I do this too when shooting my compound
It doesn't take much time to open the eye if needed

Recurve shooting is both eyes open
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby mtnmutt » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I am extremely left eye dominate, but 4 years ago when I started archery, I was too chicken to do LH. I started with RH.

Last Year, I switched to LH because I may try traditional some day. It was awkward for about 30 days of shooting and my form was terrible, but then it got better. I still shoot my RH bow to keep my shooting muscles balanced, but now I prefer LH.

I thought I could keep both eyes open going to LH. However, my right eye muscle is weak. I have had a weak right eye muscle since I was a kid when I had to do eye exercises for it. My weak right eye will cause me to see double for things up close. Therefore, I can't keep both eyes open yet. If I commit to doing the eye exercises I learned as a kid, perhaps the right eye would not wander out when I am aiming and I could keep both eyes open.

If I had a choice, IMHO, it is better to shoot with both eyes open. You will see more in your peripheral vision which is an asset in the woods.

On the 4th, I talked with a veteran at the archery range whose friend was a sniper with special forces. The preference is both eyes open, but that does not mean you can't be an excellent shot by closing one eye or by using your non dominate eye. The veteran at the range doesn't shoot with his dominate eye and he is very good at long distances.
mtnmutt

Postby 8upbowhunter » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I am also left eye dominant and shoot right a handed bow. I draw with my left eye closed until I find my sight through my peep then open my left eye and shoot with both open. I suffered from extreme target panic several years ago and couldn't get over it so I switched to a left hand bow with the same results. I eventually went back to a right handed bow and started shooting the way described above and the target panic went away and I have been shooting this way ever since.
8upbowhunter

Postby ABQ_Chica » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I shoot LH instinctive (traditional and compound barebow) with my right eye closed. In my case, it's the only way I can really focus. I like the idea of opening up more peripheral vision and would like to shoot with both eyes open, but all it does it give me a splitting headache.

It's worth trying both ways to see what works for you...may just boil down to personal preference.
ABQ_Chica

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Both eyes open for me for the majority of the draw/anchor but when the spot I'm aiming at becomes clear, my left eye kind of (as others have mentioned) just a peripheral thing, perhaps to just see if Bullwinkle is looking at me? Not sure.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby lang » 07 07, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Another reason for both open. I had a bear at very last light come in and I couldn't make out pins through the peep. So trying anything I opened the other eye and was able to see the pins. So it gives you that precious little longer of shooting light when it counts the most. I'm sold on both open.
lang

First Name: Bryan

Postby Vanish » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I started shooting much more accurately when I started shooting with both eyes open.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby one_elk » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I shoot with my left eye pretty much closed, but will be trying both eyes open this evening...
one_elk

Postby Swede » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 20]

I shoot with both eyes open. I can't say what the advantage is if any.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics