Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Base Camp Location Setback

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Base Camp Location Setback

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 07, 2013 •  [Post 1]

After months and months of planning your base camp hunt to/in (insert state here), perhaps even a scouting trip to said location, you arrive at your destination where you have two glorious weeks of elk hunting planned, and there is a small tent or two in your pre-planned spot :| Now this is the area you planned on setting up a pretty elaborate base camp with a wall tent, pull trailer, cook shanty, etc. Maybe it is at a trail head that you planned on (or have in past years) setting up by to access your hunting areas. After you talk to the guys that are there, they offer that they are only hunting a long weekend but they were there first and you need to find somewhere else to camp. How do you address the situation at hand?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Base Camp Location Setback

Postby Wapitibob » 07 07, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I'd move down the road a little ways and set up camp.
Wapitibob

Postby planebow » 07 07, 2013 •  [Post 3]

That happened last year. As stated set up temporary camp as I was solo for the first week. As soon as the other camp left I pulled up my temporary camp and then set up main camp where I wanted.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Bowhunter » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I would move down the road a bit and set up in that spot after they leave. You have to have a plan B.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby eltaco » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Pee on their tent.

Seriously, there are 3-4 spots where I go that will fit my 19x19 wall tent, so I've run into this but always had a backup just in case. I now just take Friday off and get up there on Thursday night to mitigate the possibly.
eltaco

Postby cnelk » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Rarely is my base camp set up were I actually hunt.
One spot is about as good as another
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 7]

First come, first serve! Simple as that! If that particular spot is so important to you, wait until they leave and then move in. In the mean time it won't hurt to set up a temporary camp close by. And who knows, maybe they wouldn't mind if you set up right next to them.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 8]

this used to be one of my biggest fears, only behind having trucks parked at the trailhead when I arrive. since ive been out here a couple times I now realize there is plenty of camping, I would find another spot, then either move after they leave or just go ahead and set up where the new camp is and stay there, depending on how long I was planning on hunting. frankly I would be more worried about them hunting an area I scouted an wanted to hunt rather than where they were camping.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Trophyhill » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I don't view this as a setback because I have several backup plans and would simply move on to plan B
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby westaner » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Make sure you talk to them, find out if they are grouse hunters or maybe hunting other species ,like goat moose or sheep. I've had hikers park at the gates and make me change my plans thinking they were bowhunting.
Always have plan A-Z ready , I've had to use plan D once during the peak of the rut! Every one shows up on the same weekend.
westaner

First Name: K.C.