Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

to go along with kids hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

to go along with kids hunting

Postby bnsafe » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

there have been a couple topics on here lately about taking kids elk hunting. so what is the absolute equipment they need to have to help them take possession of the hunt and make it their own.
1. elk calls (prob bite type cow calls, maybe a diaphragm but not using it)
2. binocs
3. decent fitting boots
4. clothes to keep them comfortable
I would think you could borrow about everything else including weapon etc. but would a knife of their own, etc make it mean more to them.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: to go along with kids hunting

Postby Bullnuts » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Boots are a big one. There's nothing worse than having cold, damp, blistered feet so that is always #1 in my book. It sucks to have to buy new boots for the first several years while they're growing, but I have found several younger kids to give my kids' boots (and camo) to after the season and they continue to pass the stuff down.
Rain gear is also essential. Get the good stuff, and you can buy them a size or two larger so they will fit over their hunting clothes and they'll still be able to use them next year.
Gloves. My kids hands get cold in 50 degree weather so having something on their hands in the morning helps them out. Bowhunting the early season, the quality of the glove isn't so important as having any kind of glove, so we go with light merino wool fishing gloves with the open fingers. Late season hunters will definitely want the good stuff.
Last thing I can think of is to let the kids make some of the decisions. Ask them where they want to hunt in the morning or afternoon and then follow that up with Why? It may feel lucky to them, or they just like the view - whatever the reason, they'll be able to take some ownership o their hunt and, if all goes well, they may even nail a big one in their lucky spot. Good luck!
Bullnuts