Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Glacier Country Hunting Calls at Elk Calling Contest

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Glacier Country » 07 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Glacier Country Hunting Calls had a very good showing at the Great Elk Tour, Elk calling Contest put on by Sportsman Ski Haus.
Sunday 7-7-13.
With Elk bugles echoing from the parking lot. Hopeful elk calling contestants descended on the Sportsman Ski Haus to try to mimic various elk sounds in the hope of winning various prizes. Pee Wee callers looked wide eyed at Hunter Dan packages. Youth callers were eyeballing the Marlin 243 rifle and the Mens division callers were eyeballing the Savage 270 Win with the Vortex Scope that was up for grabs. I saw quite a few callers using Glacier Country Hunting Calls. We ended up with callers that Placed 1st and 3rd in the Youth Division. We had callers that placed 2nd, 4th,and I think 5th and in the Mens Division.
Craig (Flystrait) from the Elknut forums took 2nd. Ian and Chris who are both lurkers on here, took 4th and 5th respectively.
I helped a young fellow from Pennsylvania learn how to voice bugle and work some cow calls 20 minutes before the contest. I am not sure if he has ever even seen an elk before. He was excited. He made a great effort. His dad ended up buying some of our calls. I even sent his dad a how to call tutorial I had put on my phone. I sent that to his iphone.
What a fun weekend! I got to hang out with some old friends and meet some new ones.
Great Job Guys and Gals! Thanks for your business!! -----> Troy
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

First Name: Troy

Re: Glacier Country Hunting Calls at Elk Calling Contest

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Troy, congrats on the great outcome! Great to see your calls did well. Congrats to Craig too!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Wow, very nice showing by the Glacier Country Hunting Calls. I'm glad flystrait was able to make the trip over for the event and place so high (congrats Craig). That new Sportsman Ski Haus is a great facility and the location is much better than the old one. My first job after graduating HS in Col Falls was at the SSH when it was downtown Kalispell.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Congrats Craig and Troy (GCC)!
PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby Glacier Country » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for the compliments guys.Thanks Jason , what a nice thing to say... I was Glad to have met Craig (Flystrait). It was a hectic weekend for us but a lot of fun.
RJ, I was raised in Great Falls, but my grandparents lived in Kalispell so when we would come over to visit, my 2 favorite places to go in Kalispell was the Sportsman Ski Haus and the Park Inn Restaurant acrost the street, where Dairy Queen is now. They had these Giant cinnamon rolls that were so good!
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

Postby Freebird134 » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Glacier Country, will you guys have to change your name after all the glacier's melt from climate change? :)

Jaquomo....poke...poke....prod....prod.... :lol:
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Wapiti » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Fantastic guys and congrats on the good showing !! It's always a plus when your calls start to get used by guys and gals. It's been a one horse race for so long it's nice to see things changing !! This is so exciting !!

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby Huntography » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Good stuff all the way around!

I have to look into your calls for this fall.

Rudy
Rudy
Documentary Filmmaker, Huntography

Filming America's Hunters, One at a Time.
http://www.huntography.com/
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby ceetoo » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Well done Craig. Looking forward to hearing your calling behind me this fall while I stare down that bull over my 20yd pin!

Troy,
Congrats as well! Nice showing.

Cheers,
-c2
ceetoo

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 10]

NICE JOB Craig!

As always Troy, class act by teaching the skills to others.

Congrats on a great showing by GCHC!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby flystrait » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Wow, thanks everyone for all the kind compliments! I had a great time last weekend, met some great people. Troy & his family are great. As far as the competition goes I used Glacier Country Calls. For cow sounds I used the TEMPTATION PLUS and for my bull sounds I used the WATERMELON which is a double reed. I haven't used the Watermelon until I did the tube comparison a couple weeks ago, based on how these reeds performed I am looking forward to using them in this upcoming season.

Thanks again Troy, it was great meeting you & your family!

Craig
flystrait

Postby Glacier Country » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Craig it was really good to meet you and your son. I wish it had been a little less hectic and we could have spent more time together. Lots of fun none the less. I think you sounded the best I have ever heard you sound. You put together a very good routine. Great Job. I thought Ian should have been in the top 3 and I would have had you guys in a call off if I had been judging. You did very well. There were some very good callers there. I had helped Chris G. ( the guy who won) in the past and he took 2nd in the Mens div at the 2013 RMEF World Championships. He is a very good caller. I say this to put things in perspective Craig,and Ian both, did very well, especially for their 1st contest. I have helped well over half of the contestants there at one time or another. I had helped all but 1 of the top 5 guys there. Just fun stuff. I just love the sound of a good throaty bugle!!
I know some of you scoff at contest callers but they are some of the best callers out there.They can drastically help you with the learning curve of how to make each sound. Put that together with a working knowledge of what to say to elk and when to say it and that definitely increases your odds,IMO.
Then you can go and put those skills to the test in the Contest that really matters.Where the loser is on the ground and you are holding his antlers posing for pictures!
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor