Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Now what the heck do you do?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

After you've been having conversations with wapiti long enough, this "will" occur. Whether you've set up in a cold call setup going through a series of whiny/pathetic, pay attention to me cow calls, throw a location bugle from high on an alder choked side hill, or have worked in close on a beast of a screamer and his chicks and light the old boy up, this eventually will occur. Bullwinkle will crash in and stop within yards of you and stand there, providing no possible shot opportunity due to the thick vegetation. Many times, the brush (whichever type is prevalent in the elk state you're hunting) is way too thick to thread an arrow through. Perhaps you didn't put enough thought into shooting lanes, or, there just aren't any in the terrain you are in... Doesn't really matter... "He's right there"! What will/should you do?

a. Draw, shoot through the alder (or whatever brush) and hope your arrow finds it's way. After all, it'll either hit the bull or a branch, right?
b. Chalk it up to a bad setup/situation and wait for the bull to bust.
c. Try to remember the last relatively open area you just came through and stomp/crash back to that spot and try to open up a new, heated conversation with said bull.
d. Clench your grandfathers buck knife in your teeth and with a loud rebel yell, attack the bull.
e. Other
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Now what the heck do you do?

Postby Bowhunter » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 2]

This happened to us last year. It was not brush in the way. The bull came in to 15yds from my hunting partner. The bull was up hill and quartering toward the shooter. The shooter chose not to shoot and the bull finally busted. I am currious to see what others say.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby LckyTylr » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I'd say Option C is the only chance you have of killing that bull on that particular day. If he waits around until he catches your scent, he likely won't be called in again that day. If you get lucky and he loses interest, you could probably call him right back in the next 30 minutes.

I'd say option C, but throw in a few nervous cow sounds and some tending grunts before you go stomping off. Try to make that bull think that the whole party is leaving. If he thinks you are just another bull that's running away, he might be contempt to let you go, but if he thinks YOU are that Jerk that stole all of his cows yesterday while he was napping, he will want to kick your lil' a$$.

Am I Way Off? :-)
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I'm from TN.....I say loud rebel yell and charge with knife drawn. It's him or me at that point. ;)
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 5]

E Other. I think if you move at all the game is over right there. You describe thick cover and he is expecting to see or even smell an elk that close. So, the thing that comes to mind would be to get ready to draw and hit him with a "show yourself popping grunt". Best way to do it would be turning your head and casting your call like some have mentioned on here before :) .....This only works if there is a shooting lane of coarse.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby otcWill » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I'd probably draw and nervous grunt (diaphragm always in my mouth) when he busted while moving into better position. Often times slight movement=shot opp. This seems about the best chance of getting this guy.
otcWill

Postby Swede » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I would like to try D, except I am getting a little old for a long charge, and I can't clench a knife like that and yell at the same time. I would probably go with C or E, depending on just what I saw there.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby easeup » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 8]

no easy way out of this and it has happened to me much too often.
I have never released a crazy arrow with a prayer attached yet. B has been used many a time with very limited success.
I wished I knew of something better, but of all of those type B occasions....twice while I patiently waited for something to change, that bull walked off and I thought the dance was over; the bull came back in within 15 min I guess his curiosity got the best of him.
those two bulls became table fare. the others never to be seen again.
easeup

Postby Glacier Country » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I am a caller so, my first instinct is to hit him with a Show yourself call. Depending on the situation either a nervous grunt or fast chuckles. Or if I don't like those odds and there are cattle in the area I am going to moo like a beef cow. He will probably move away at that, but I can still hope for a chance in another 100-200 yards with a better setup.
I did have a similar situation happen like this a few years ago... We had seen a nice bull and cows and my shooter bumped a cow. So we let them go over the hill and did not pressure them any further. Later that evening I bugled to locate the bull and we moved in to intercept them. We were skirting a clear cut to get to the herd and did not realize they were moving our way at the same time.We got close. I heard the cows and we had to setup right there. I'm fiddling with the camera and Cody is waiting for me to call. I bugled and the bull ran right in but was partially obscured by some brush. he waited a couple of intense minutes looking for the intruder.He then started high stepping it back to the cows. I screamed on an Orange Enrager and directed the sound forward and to our left for a better shot angle. He turned like a cutting horse and trotted right in. Cody put an arrow thru both lungs.
I guess I try to think in each situation and do whatever I think will give the best odds of a shot opportunity. I am the first to admit that I do not always make the right decision. In some situations you will be able to make a variety of sounds that will give you a shot opportunity. There may be more than 1 option.Figuring out what is the BEST option is the key I think. ----> Troy GCHC
Attachments
phpgKeixyPMResed2fit.jpg
phpgKeixyPMResed2fit.jpg (190.45 KiB) Viewed 4103 times
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

First Name: Troy

Postby elkmtngear » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I'm going with option "e" here.

This is where the SLIP System elk butt really shines. I've got my big elk butt shielding me, and I am going to give the "hooking a cow" scenario and back out slowly...bugle/chuckle forward and soft cow call back. It should be pretty convincing, and if he's feeling his oats, hopefully I can get him into a more shootable lane.

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Backcountry » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Had this happen last year on a very large bull at 6 yards. He came in searching for me and stopped head on. I could only see bits and pieces of him.

I came to full draw and cow called behind to try to lure him through the brush, no dice. I think I was TOO close at this point. Eventually he cooled off and worked away.
Backcountry

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barnett

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Backcountry wrote:Had this happen last year on a very large bull at 6 yards. He came in searching for me and stopped head on. I could only see bits and pieces of him.

I came to full draw and cow called behind to try to lure him through the brush, no dice. I think I was TOO close at this point. Eventually he cooled off and worked away.

Having another caller here would have been nice. Maybe walking away trying to draw the bull further in. But being solo, which I am assuming you were in this scenario, what would you do differently next time? Is there anything you can do?

I like what Glacier Country said. I never would of thought of leaving him and following for a better set up. makes sense to stay persistent without busting him out.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby westaner » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I would opt for C .
If he can't see you keep acting and sounding like a bull or cow and move. Give him the nervous grunt and run away to a better setup. I've pulled elk over close by pulling leaves like a cow feeding and coughing like chewing cud. Just keep the wind right.
If he can see thru the thick stuff I flash some tan or a decoy then I can get away with alot of movement. I even add extra movement like a tail wiggle or ear flick with my hands. Next time notice when a elk comes to a call how they wiggle ears and lick their nose to try and signal the other elk show themselves.
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 12, 2013 •  [Post 14]

#1, I'm first going to sit tight and let the elk make the first move. The next step he takes may just open up the shot opertunity. This could be nerve racking if he is right on top of you. But if you have a little ice in your vains, you can out wait him.

#2, I'm going to do something similar to what Glacier Country suggested in his post above. It's just another example of knowing how to direct traffic.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ChukarNUT » 07 14, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I have been in that situation way too many times! usually opt for option C if solo. although the flashing technique which is very similar to the concept of flagging geese and goats works. the bull my brother in law tagged our first day out last year we called out of a high mountain meadow. we were set up on the ridge basically cold calling for a response. he came out in the open but we had about 200 yards of fairly open uphill ground for him to cover. using trees we had in line with us i moved uphill call and got 100 yards from the bro in law and used lost cow calls and the montana decoy and just kind of moved it back and forth hidden in the tree i was behind. that was all he could take he trotted uphill and the bro stopped him and sent one through the heart. after the arrow passed through him he walked slowly towards me spewing blood and was dead literally 30 seconds later. heart and both lungs, bull down directly between us in the open :D
ChukarNUT

First Name: Brian