Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

having problems with calling

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

having problems with calling

Postby bnsafe » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 1]

ok, I am practicing quite abit, and being a turkey caller from way back I have got the bugle down pretty good, cows calls were very easy for me. but, my grunts lack the realism that I hear on tapes. they are a little high pitched or more like turkey clucks elongated than real guttural grunts. any advice on what to try to take it from the showroom the realism.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: having problems with calling

Postby JJ Overkill » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 2]

could you put up a sound bit of your grunts? it would be easier to help ya out. let me look on another forum and see if a can post a thread from the guy who taught me.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby bnsafe » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 3]

im computer illiterate so no sounds, but on pauls first video he says you will hear a lot of sounds like what I do and demonstrated, but I cant seem to stop it. it may just be more practice. but I firmly believe inflection in your calls means more than anything else and why some guys call in elk and some don't. mine are way to mechanical and not realistic.
bnsafe

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I'm off tomorrow (government furlough) so I'll try to record a "how to" video. I'm sure not as good as the guy Jeremy is mentioning but we'll see how my brief video works out. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby bnsafe » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 5]

thanks rj
bnsafe

Postby Indian Summer » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Are you adding some growl to your voce when you go to the grunts?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby N5J » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 7]

This video of Rockie Jacobsen along with Paul's CD's helped me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRXE3klyQOk

N5J
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby JJ Overkill » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 8]

sorry bnsafe, I searched all my post and his post, I could not find what I was looking for. I think slim put up some of his call on here in a different post. ill try and search that.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I will try my hand but it would help to hear your grunt to make specific recommendations.

There are two parts to the grunt. Exhale and Inhale.

Exhale: Use voice inflection and bursts of air to make a short bugle that abruptly stops (coming from your chest)
Inhale: Make your inhale audible and heard through the tube. Followed by another exhale.

Most grunts seem to reduce intensity and depth as the move on.
PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby Trophyhill » 07 12, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 12, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I can't add enough +2,+2,+2s to the youtube video N5J recommended above. Nobody has ever given a better explination of how to use a diaphram call than Rockie Jacobsen does in this vid. The only thing I can add is, flex your tongue like a bicep muscle as he says. The way to do this is to simply and slowly say "shhhhhh". Think about what your tongue is doing inside your mouth as you make that sound. You should feel it flexing in there. And for the grunt you are having trouble with, just add some voice inflection like Rockie describes on the video.

Pardon my english, but years ago, when I was learning how to use the call, I got so discusted that I said "sh#t"! And that was when I finally got my first good sound.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Glacier Country » 07 12, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I definitely agree that Rockie gives an excellent tutorial there. We use less voice though for the grunts... Just personal opinion though. I will post a sound clip with some grunts We do. Did Any of you notice Rockie mentioned that you would probably call in more bulls with a good chuckle used properly,than even the bugle? I sure did! My 11 year old son has been mimicking Corey Jacobsens grunts lately and he does a very good job of it too.
If you ever get the chance listen to Dan Whitmus, Joel Turner and Brian Langley ,MY son Schafer ,Along with Corey And Rockie, those are some of the guys I listened to. When I wanted to work on my grunts. ----> Troy GCHC

PS I really like that Schafer KId LOL!!! Seriously he really did help me to improve my Grunts. He told me when he was 5 years old to use less voice.The things little kids pick up on. That still amazes me, to this day.
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] Elk grunts and Bugles1.m4a [ 307.55 KiB | Viewed 4420 times ]

Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

First Name: Troy

Postby bnsafe » 07 12, 2013 •  [Post 13]

thanks guys, that helped. im close and with more practice I should be good to go by season. I still need to add some inflection, or meaning into the call but im thinking that will come with practice. if not I will be the best locator bugler on the mnt, lol
bnsafe

Postby ctdad » 07 12, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Troy,
How about a clip of your chuckles
ctdad

Postby Glacier Country » 07 13, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Here is a youtube clip. This REAL Bull does chuckles at 1:10 and 3 minutes. I will try to post some of my chuckles made on a Secret Weapon Diaphragm call. also,some Chuckles with some voice some without.Lots of times I just use my voice by sucking in air into my throat.Or blowing air out. I can do it either way or I can do it with a diaphragm call.With or without a tube. Guys do not be afraid to make some sounds just with your voice! Hope this helps --->Troy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNj5a9CpqYk
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] Chuckles2.m4a [ 465.3 KiB | Viewed 4358 times ]

[ Play Quicktime file ] Chuckles1.m4a [ 729.43 KiB | Viewed 4361 times ]

Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

First Name: Troy

Postby mandrroofing » 07 13, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Lol I just posted that video last week
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt