Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sitting in a blind

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sitting in a blind

Postby Elkaddict » 07 13, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Question for you guys. First I must say I hate sitting, but found a place today that might be worth sitting if the bulls aren't cooperating with calling. This is fairly close to my house and was wondering if anyone has ever put clothes in your blind and refreshed occasionally to get the elk used to smelling you. What are your thoughts? I think it could work, what do you think?
Elkaddict

First Name: Terry

Re: Sitting in a blind

Postby Pop-r » 07 13, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I guess as long as your blind was in a pen it'd work pretty good. :lol:
Pop-r

Postby Elkaddict » 07 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Pop-r wrote:I guess as long as your blind was in a pen it'd work pretty good. :lol:

Ha Ha! Yep, wouldn't know how to get em in the pen. Probably should just stay with the conventional keep everything as scent free as possible. Just thinking of one of those what if moments. Probably why I don't like sitting, try to over think everything! :roll:
Elkaddict

Postby elkmtngear » 07 13, 2013 •  [Post 4]

You could put a trail cam out and test it...probably want one there anyway if you are going to sit that blind, it will give you a lot of info about your odds.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Sitting in a blind

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 14, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I imagine elk would be similar to whitetails.....they would get used to your scent, but no chance that a big bull would show in daylight.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby Lefty » 07 14, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I try to keep clean as possible. However in the past 4 years I have had elk approach water from downwind and have had 6x6 bulls inches, a dozen yards and less than 20 yards in wide open country.

I do think animals that the need water will put up with a lot more scent from everything.
I figure I leave plenty of human odor checking the trail cam, filling the tanks with water and walking in that yes they may accept my odor a bit more than others just like bears do

If were to hang clothes I would hang it hundreds of yards upwind and over open country

While fenced isnt the same I have watched our local zoo elk not react to others but detecting a zoo keeper up wind gave a positive responce
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkaddict » 07 14, 2013 •  [Post 7]

elkmtngear wrote:You could put a trail cam out and test it...probably want one there anyway if you are going to sit that blind, it will give you a lot of info about your odds.

Got a camera there now, might have to do some tests over the next couple if months.
Lefty, I agree about all the scent I am leaving already just going in checking the camera, think I might try hanging some clothes away from the tank and see how they react. This tank is a walkin tank, mainly because of private property that has closed the road to it, so it's not like they aren't used to people. They're still wild so will have to proceed with caution. Will keep you posted on how my tests go.
Elkaddict

Postby Lefty » 07 14, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Elkaddict wrote:
elkmtngear wrote:,........Lefty, I agree about all the scent I am leaving already just going in checking the camera, think I might try hanging some clothes away from the tank and see how they react. This tank is a walkin tank, mainly because of private property that has closed the road to it, so it's not like they aren't used to people. They're still wild so will have to proceed with caution. Will keep you posted on how my tests go.

Seems like a great location, could you post a pic ?

Ive been reading a book on animal and people training
Negitive and positive presure,

In the desert where I hunt I havent seen as many flight reactions as I think I should, not sure why, the animals seem rather human scent tolerant. Is it the open country where they can easily see everything?
Im guessing it has to do with ggod and bad interactions with people,.. well me and the rancher ;) Not that were I hunt is like elk in Yellow stone
But if they hear an ATV dont expect them to slow dow for 10 miles

Il ll be waiting to see your results
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkaddict » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Here's the waterhole on July 13 ( the date on cam is one day off) the blind is in the background .

image.jpg
image.jpg (147.83 KiB) Viewed 3169 times

And here it is this morning, July 15.

image.jpg
image.jpg (123.3 KiB) Viewed 3169 times

Wow! That was a good rain! 1.4" Saturday afternoon.
Elkaddict

Postby Swede » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Personally I do not think leaving scent rags around is going to help. Elk have an uncanny way of differentiating between clothes left in the field and direct human scent. They can tell you are not there. They get used to the rags or just don't object to them much. I have tried to fool animals by leaving scent, hoping to keep them away from a spot, and have found it a waste of time.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkmtngear » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Elkaddict wrote: Wow! That was a good rain! 1.4" Saturday afternoon.

Man, you ain't kidding!!! :shock:
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby mainebrdr » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I think there would be a possibility that doing that may produce the opposite results that you are trying to achieve. Educating them as to your location, at least to me, seems counterproductive.
mainebrdr

First Name: Tim
Last Name: Dirks