Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I Didn't See a Thing :)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Have you ever had one or two of those experiences in the elk woods that you kept to yourself knowing you would sound crazy if you told someone? Heck, I don't know.. waking up with a skunk sleeping in your tent; smacking an elk on the backside with a stick; spotting a housecat 10 miles into a wilderness area? Something along those lines. Please, share some of those stories from your high country adventures that well, you were a bit reluctant to tell folks about ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: I Didn't See a Thing :)

Postby easeup » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I held on to it this long, I cant let it out now.
easeup

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Nothing really unless you count that lttle green man with antenas on his head.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 4]

about 30 years ago turkey hunting was relatively new in my part of Missouri (I can still remember the first turkey I saw as there wernt any, hard to believe). anyway I was just a kid and hunting by myself. I set up an was making a few calls when a deer ran by followed by a coon dog, then a couple minutes later a black spot thru the brush but I didn't get a good look. I moved figuring 2 dogs running thru the area scared all the turkeys away. as I was walking thru the timber fully camo and my turkey decoy hanging over my back on got a weird sense. I just turned around and not 10 feet from me was a black cougar. he stood there for a few seconds then took off. Im only guessing he saw the turkey decoy and was figuring on a easy meal. I never told anyone cause although a few people had always "seen" black cougars on occasion who woulda believed a 12 year old kid in the woods in mo in the 80s. since that time there have been tons of sightings of both colors and confirmed kills of reg colored mnt lions. I believe the dnr turned them lose and tracked them back then to see what would happen as we got pics of one a few years later with a tracking color on. now they say we have young males In mo but no breeding pop. well I know somebody that saw a female and 4 kittens a few years ago. but nobody will believe him either. again, I believe the dnr released them to help control the deer population.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Years ago, while quietly slipping through the forest, I happened on a young lady peeing. I stayed back about 100 feet and continued on. In a couple minutes she walked over my way a little embarrassed. I didn't see a thing.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkmtngear » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Phantom16 wrote: smacking an elk on the backside with a stick;

Many years ago, after a light rain one afternoon, I was walking around some old logging roads in my wool socks (two pairs)

Saw a muley doe about 100 yds out, with her head in a sagebrush munching away...my wind was good.

I thought "I wonder how close I can get to her"?

To make a long story short, I silently walked up directly behind her, and slapped her tail. :o

Needless to say, she was a little surprised...did everything but turn inside out (I laughed out loud, cocky as I was back then)! :lol:
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby POk3s » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I didn't see anything.....but I heard Indian Chants while in the middle of the forest. Good thing my dad was with me as we both experienced the same thing. To make a long, dramatic story short.....I heard a sound behind me and immediately looked behind me and unshouldered my rifle, only to see a pine bush whipping in the wind and no other trees or shrubs blowing. That was followed by indian chants that got louder and louder and then slowly died off. When the indian chants stopped the wind that was also blowing the shrub also stopped. I turned around slowly and asked my dad "did you hear that?" . He simply said, "let's get the F*** outta here". I have never been back to that spot.
POk3s

Postby Jaquomo » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Guy and a girl going at it like bunnies. I didn't see a thing...

A naked, hairy guy wearing only tennis shoes back in the Zirkels.

Another time a very grubby guy and equally grubby girl came into our camp 15 miles back into the Popo Agie wilderness begging for food. No gear, no nothing. Turns out they were on an Outward Bound deal and got separated from the group, were eating whatever they could find. We shared a little, then off they went.

On that same trip I found $66 scattered around in random woods, way off the trail. I was bushwhacking to a lake and spotted half of a fiver. Only a couple bills were intact - the rest were in pieces that I taped together when I got back home.
Jaquomo

Postby Washington Wapiti » 07 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Four years ago, I was about a week and a half into the early archery elk/deer season. It was one of those painfully slow days, where I hadn’t seen anything except for the 6 or 7 blue grouse I had spooked earlier in the morning on the way in to my area. Well, I love me some grouse! As I was starting down the trail to my napping area, I spotted another one – a FATTY - about 60 yards away just wandering around doing his thing, completely unaware I was there. He moved a little further away, up and around a small stack of wind-thrown alders that were about two-feet high, and partially blocking the trail. I thought, “What a perfect opportunity to practice my stalking skills!” So, as the drizzle was starting to pick-up, I got down and started belly-crawling with my Bowtech in hand. Ever-so-slowly, intentionally and methodically - through mud . . . through coyote crap. “In 10 minutes, I’m gonna have fresh grouse breast to throw on my portable grill tonight!” I had that same kind of nervous, giddy, maniacal laughter that I remember getting when I was a kid and on my way to go TP someone’s house.

As I closed the 60-ish yards to the “downed-tree blind,” I gently peeked over the top and saw him hunkered down in the middle of the trail, facing the opposite way. Hmm . . . that’s interesting, must be because the rain is picking up. Weird. I ranged him at exactly 20, and pulled a shiny, new, Easton FMJ from my quiver and fitted it with a “tester” small game head. This wire propeller was designed and built by a local, and was the equivalent diameter of a Guillotine broadhead. I nocked my FMJ, came to my knees, and drew. In one motion, I fully extended-out popping up and clear of my cover in firing position. Locking my 20-pin on my target, I released and zipped that Easton into ‘ol Mr. Grouse . . . *PIIIIIIING!!!* Wire and pieces of Hidden Insert Technology flying everywhere. I did a double-take . . . HUH?? That’s one solid bird! Orrrrrrrr . . . did I just shoot a rock??? I got to my feet, completely bewildered, and walked over to my quarry. I reached down to touch it . . . cold, wet, mossy, and black. My dead, limp arrow lay to the side of it. I lost it. I was laughing so hard, I nearly split my camo. :lol: Are ya kidding me??? Fifteen minutes of crawling on my gut like Rambo, for THAT??

Always know your target! Especially, in rainy, lowlight situations, where apparently stones look like game birds. Nobody saw nothin.’
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby GetemDuck » 07 22, 2013 •  [Post 10]

ok not really a didn't see a thing type thing but it still makes me laugh. My dad did a tour in Norfolk Virginia and I was about 12 or so and we were going deer hunting at this place where you draw tree stands and that is where you hunt for the day. They turn dogs out and deer run everywhere the woods are very thick that is why they use buckshot down there, but anyways. dad and I were on stand and I'm just watchin' hoping for a buck to come through when I hear something running through the woods so dad and i get our shotguns ready and out runs two does (can't shoot we only have buck tags) and about 3 minutes later the dogs show up a pack of 6-8 dogs run past and I hear a hit and see a tree shake the dogs run off end of story right, nope about 15 minute later a dog starts walkin' back the way it came lookin' like a 3 day drunk, apparently that tree shake and thump we seen was this thing running into a tree at full speed........I hope he learned that chasing deer is not a nice thing to do. :lol:
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W

Postby Breeze » 07 22, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Three guys didn't see a thing one morning last September when they set up on a bugle, but what they heard was two guys whistling the 'Dueling Banjo' tune back and forth each time they cow called. The two-guys didn't see a thing that resembled an elk either but they sure had a smile. One of two was going to wave at the 3-guys at 30 yards, but my son said 'don't do it Dad' you'll get shot'.
Breeze

Postby slim9300 » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 12]

bnsafe wrote:about 30 years ago turkey hunting was relatively new in my part of Missouri (I can still remember the first turkey I saw as there wernt any, hard to believe). anyway I was just a kid and hunting by myself. I set up an was making a few calls when a deer ran by followed by a coon dog, then a couple minutes later a black spot thru the brush but I didn't get a good look. I moved figuring 2 dogs running thru the area scared all the turkeys away. as I was walking thru the timber fully camo and my turkey decoy hanging over my back on got a weird sense. I just turned around and not 10 feet from me was a black cougar. he stood there for a few seconds then took off. Im only guessing he saw the turkey decoy and was figuring on a easy meal. I never told anyone cause although a few people had always "seen" black cougars on occasion who woulda believed a 12 year old kid in the woods in mo in the 80s. since that time there have been tons of sightings of both colors and confirmed kills of reg colored mnt lions. I believe the dnr turned them lose and tracked them back then to see what would happen as we got pics of one a few years later with a tracking color on. now they say we have young males In mo but no breeding pop. well I know somebody that saw a female and 4 kittens a few years ago. but nobody will believe him either. again, I believe the dnr released them to help control the deer population.

To add to this. WA Fish and Wildlife collars elk and deer on the Olympic Peninsula for tracking purposes. Well, I guess these collared animals are about 90% more likely to be killed by mountain lions as compared to uncollared animals. Some biologists believe the cats can hone in on the electronics of the collar and it makes the elk/deer an easier target. Pretty cool! :)
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300

Postby slim9300 » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I heard a cougar scream at less than 10 yards once. It's a sound that cannot be described unless you could imagine a small child screaming bloody murder in the middle of nowhere. "Wait, I just have my bow in my hand!? FML!" ;)

I had no idea what it was which made the situation worse at the time, but thankfully my old man heard it from further away and was able to give me lesson time. :)
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300

Postby POk3s » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 14]

My dad has heard one scream before and described it as an "old lady screaming bloody murder" so I guess if I hear a child or an old lady I know what it is!
POk3s

Postby TJB » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Yes, the sound of cougar screaming is something you won't soon forget. That is one that will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up! I have heard it twice while walking out of a deer stand in the dark with only a bow in hand! :shock:
TJB