Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

1st calling sequence of the season?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby otcWill » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Just wondering what your first calling sequence will be this season? Me, I am primarily a spot/stalk guy on the opener but I'll usually do a few cold calling sequences as well. My go-to for the opener will be imitating a herd being run up on and pestered by a smaller bull (one of Paul's teachings). There will be lots of stomping and raking with some agitated cow calls mixed in. This has been deadly for us in the past over Labor Day wknkd and hopefully again this season. So what are you guys gonna kick it off with?!
otcWill

Re: 1st calling sequence of the season?

Postby Swede » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I usually call my buddies to make sure we are coordinated and not bring too much of one food and forgetting another. Oh, who knows what I may say to the elk. Maybe I give a cow call or two.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Backcountry » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Typically I like to send out a locating bugle or two early in the morning before the sun starts heating everything up. After that, I like to head towards a water source/wallow and either sit or do some very light cold set ups with cow calls.

My first few weeks are generally very quiet, just scoping things out before the rut hits.
Backcountry

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barnett

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 4]

First thing out of the box is always a location bugle. But I never over do it. In other words, do what the elk are doing. If the elk are talking I'll work in on them. If not, I'll try a silent calling routine. If a couple of those setups don't produce, its usually late enough to hang up the calls and do some still hunting and scouting. Or I'll move to another area. Sometimes a little snack and a short nap under a shade tree isn't a bad idea either.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Early WA season? Probably a locater over a high wilderness draw. Idaho? I'll more than likely hear bugles as I enter into any one of my areas (last two weeks of September). So my first calling noise will more than likely be some cow chatter as I get closer to Bullwinkle (or bullwinkles). If I hear no unsolicited bugles, it'll first offer some whimpering, pay attention to me, whiny cow sounds and if no response, onward to locator bugles.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby cnelk » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Up at 3am.
Hike in 2 miles before light and listen until legal shooting light.
Do a cow call, and tree raking session, watch a bull come sneaking in and shoot him.

Then go to town and buy a B List cow tag and go have some more fun
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I wish I could hunt the area that cnelk hunts!!!! :D

Normally, location bugles for me as well. But this year I'm going to be in a tree stand opening morning so I'll probably just enjoy the mountains and try not to fall asleep.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby bnsafe » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 8]

not sure. I will either be in a treestand opening morning and not say anything, or I will still hunt In the morning and use a location bugle early then some cold calling set ups with cow calls. opening night will be in a treestand.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Glacier Country » 07 20, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I will most likely do a location bugle to start things off. You never know though. I also intend to put the High Heel Hottie ( open reed bite call) to work. Bulls are interested in finding and gathering cows,at this time.So I just might tell him I am a lonely cow and then do some small bull bugles to make the big guy think a small bull has answered the calls of the lonely cow. A guy from work used the High Heel Hottie opening morning last year. 3 chirps and a nice 5x6 ran to them from 900 yards. His partner missed the bull 2 times at 40 yards. Fun stuff!!
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

First Name: Troy

Postby Elk_Addict23 » 07 20, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Glacier Country wrote:I will most likely do a location bugle to start things off. You never know though. I also intend to put the High Heel Hottie ( open reed bite call) to work. Bulls are interested in finding and gathering cows,at this time.So I just might tell him I am a lonely cow and then do some small bull bugles to make the big guy think a small bull has answered the calls of the lonely cow. A guy from work used the High Heel Hottie opening morning last year. 3 chirps and a nice 5x6 ran to them from 900 yards. His partner missed the bull 2 times at 40 yards. Fun stuff!!

That sounds exactly what I'll be doing with your calls as a matter of fact! I just picked up your high heel hottie and a few different diaphragms. These are the best calls I've used by far, your Secret Weapon is the exact Rees I've been looking for! I know people say try a bunch of different mouth calls to see which fits you best and I must say I FINALLY found them!

Sorry to hi jack the thread, just thought I'd give a shout out to GC for the awesome calls!
Elk_Addict23

First Name: Brandon
Last Name: O'Keefe

Postby welka » 07 21, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Hoping that I don't need to do a calling sequence. We are later in Sept this year and they will hopefully be in full rut. If we don't hear bugles on the way in (after which we would be high tailing it in to get close), will probably do a cold calling 45 min set up. Good luck to all.
welka