Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Mid-day Locating

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Mid-day Locating

Postby JGH » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 1]

It's 11 a.m. and your plans for finding a herd in the early morning were a bust. You know that finding a bedded herd could really help your evening hunt (or even be approached early afternoon in some instances).

How do you go about locating elk mid-day?

Or, do you switch to nap-mode, or scouting-mode for a few hours?
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Re: Mid-day Locating

Postby bnsafe » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 2]

im gonna go sit over a wallow or water hole. I would end up busting more elk out than locating
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 3]

By hunting season, I've pretty got my area's various spots locked that hold elk at what time of day (not always, but usually) and have a morning and evening plan each day. In big country (glassing country) a high, mid day perch with optics as you munch your lunch could serve you well to locate ear flicks in bedding areas, or, a bull or cow(s) standing up to stretch, feed a bit, or have a drink. Sometimes from these high vantage/listening posts, you may even hear a bedded herd bull sing a song, dependent upon the stage of the rut. In brush choked country, sit and listen across or above potential bedding areas for elk sounds (minding the thermals of course). The sitting a wallow/watering hole bnsafe mentioned is always a good endeavor if you think said spot may be close to bedding areas. Locator's in mid day are something I normally don't do unless it's the last few days of the season and I throw my normal game book out the window.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby welka » 07 21, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Either sit by a high wallow (assuming bedding is not above), get a 1/4 down from the top in some dark timber and go slow with a few chirps, or nap.
welka

Postby Trophyhill » 07 21, 2013 •  [Post 5]

For me after a power nap myself, I am back on the move mid day with the wind in my face trying to find where they are bedded in dark timber stalking silently.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby easeup » 07 21, 2013 •  [Post 6]

the dark timber is your friend.
slip along in the cool shadows slow and quiet. get tired? sit and cow call a few times ( arrow nocked). a half hour might pass before the bull comes in quietly. If nothing shows, move on a ways and repeat.
easeup

Postby Lefty » 07 21, 2013 •  [Post 7]

If I have hunted hard a nap is required soemtime(s) during the day

This is what I do,.. Still dont know if its right but I sort of still hunt. Glass all the open areas in fornt of me, look for tips gleeming in the sun, move slow , look, glass, and call and check every piece of sage for horn. . In the handfull of times Ive done this I did have a bull call back,..from the sound I likely passed by him less than 100 yards, . I had been working into the wind and he responded behind me and likely winded me
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H