Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Meat Spoilage in the Backcountry

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Backcountry » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 1]

This year I am looking at hunting some areas that are further off the road than I typically go. Meat care is worrying me. I KNOW I can get some help to pack, but things to do happen. Other than the typical debone and hang meat, is there anything a guy can do to cool meat quickly? It's possible I will not have an immediate water source (submerging meat). Someone needs to invent a cooling spray :D

Also, with appropriate care, what kind of longevity can one expect out of meat with high temps in the mid 70's? I know these questions can be very complex but any help is appreciated.
Backcountry

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barnett

Postby Herb » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Get the hide off and off the bone.... about all you can do, get packing to the ice!!
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Re: Meat Spoilage in the Backcountry

Postby elkflunky » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 3]

All I can say is at mid 70's you better get going and quick. When I cut meat we hung cattle at 46-50 degrees for 2-3 weeks but that is hanging the fans blowing on it and at 20 degrees cooler. I guess how far are you in and how fast can you get the meat off the bone and packed to a place to cool it. I know of all people of how things go wrong when you don't need them too.
elkflunky

First Name: allan
Last Name: bossel

Postby ST52V » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 4]

There was a really good thread about meat care over on Rockslide. Maybe Aron will chime in on this. Do a search for Larry Bartlet and citric acid. If I'm wrong someone will correct me. If I was not at work and on my phone I would try to post up a link.
ST52V

First Name: Robin
Last Name: Wise

Postby ST52V » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I also watched Nate Simmons build a platform over a small creek in thick cover to set his meat on and keep it cool. He used sticks and small logs. This kept it dry and cool until he could get horses to it the next day.
ST52V

Postby ST52V » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 6]

It's the last topic on page 5 of the elk thread on that forum. I typed in "wilderness meat care" on my phone and it came up in the search.
ST52V

Postby NCelkhtr » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 7]

last year my buddy shot a bull 3 1/2 miles back in a wilderness area, we knew it was going to take a while to get it out, like you spoke about we found a creek to set the meat in. After we got back I was thinking about the same thing and I saw some kind of rub that would make meat keep, I dont know if or how it would affect the taste. I also just tried looking it up and couldn't find it, so im actually not helping you out alot but i tried lol
NCelkhtr

First Name: Zack
Last Name: Benfield

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 8]

We've got enough knowledgeable guys here that I bet we can knock this one out.

First, get the hide off and get it off the bone. You can get some spoilage deep in the quarter, especially around the ball joint in the ham if you leave it on the bone. Get the boned out meat into game bags that will protect from flies, but allows the meat to breathe. Airflow will cause the meat to form a rind and harden off which helps protect it.

In hot weather you can do several things. First, if there is a cool water source nearby then put the meat inside contractor grade garbage bags, tie it off well, and sink the bags in the creek. If it's not deep enough then just set them in the creek. If you don't have garbage bags then build a latticework of stout sticks over the creek and suspend the meat over the creek. You want the meat cool, but NOT WET.

If you don't have a water source nearby - If the meat cools off over night then you've got a lot of the battle won. At that point the next morning just bundle the meat inside a couple sleeping bags and stash it in some deep shade. The sleeping bags will protect the meat from the heat of the day. After the sun goes down hang the meat back up so it can get a lot of airflow.

Most importantly, in those temps you've got to have a plan to get it off the mountain as quickly as possible.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby otcWill » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I wouldn't sweat it too much. The meat will stay good alot longer than one might think. My buddy gut shot a cow a couple years back so we snuck out and left her for about 7 hours. When we went back she was about 20 yards from where we last saw her and had been dead for a long time. Partially in the sun, we figured the meat would at least be somewhat tainted. Though an experience elk eater could tell the diff btw this cow and one which was recovered imediately, she was still quite good.
otcWill

Postby Backcountry » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Thanks for the info guys, definitely good points. Question on boned meat... Can TOO much boned meat in a game bag act as an insulator?

I think my main plan at this point is to lay meat out on bushes, logs, etc. as I bone then bag and hang in the shade for my trips.

Has anyone tried to leapfrog an elk out? Or just one quarter at a time
Backcountry

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barnett

Postby elkmtngear » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 11]

We've gone as long as 3 days with quarters on bone with no spoilage; thin breathable game bags (I use panty hose), we find a good spruce or thick evergreen back in the shade, bust off some limbs as high as we can reach, and hang the quarters/ bags on the staubs, so they are hanging against the trunk. Then we urinate around the tree to keep the bears off it (they almost always go for the gutpile)

Normally, I will take a rear quarter and loin load first, then come back for a front quarter and rib/ neck meat load (and the antlers). Haven't had to pack out a cape yet...maybe this will be my Year!

Once the meat "skins" over, it is good for several days in fair temps, as long as it is not baking in the sun. 8-)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby otcWill » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 12]

If its a cow or small bull my partner and I simply debone, split equally and load up. One shot pack out is quite doable for any cow or younger bull. I don't think too much boned meat will insulate to the point of any spoilage. At least I've not run into this issue. Hope this helps
otcWill

Postby pointysticks » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 13]

a few years ago, i hiked in 10 hours to hunt deer.

i got to 60 yards of a legal buck, came back to full draw..and glanced over at the faint trail out..up and over this huge hill. it was 80 degrees out. i was not confident in my ability to save that meat. i let down.

i still regret not trying. i had slighty tweaked my ankle and was moving slow. not so sure that meat would have not spoiled.

well, i am going back. this time i am gonna bone it out and hang the meat in the shade of trees. there is one area that is windy all the time. i am going there with my load..let it cool over night..load up and getting out of there the next morning!! hope i can find that same dumb deer. i know more about it now, thanks to sites like this.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby ChukarNUT » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 14]

elkmtngear-- do you prefer control top panty hose? sheer or opaque? 8-) sorry, had to go there!really though, ive heard using them before, or there any that are better or worse? durability-breathability-etc??
we sunk the meat last year in a cold creek as soon as we got back to spike camp. it was 1am but figured that was best way to cool it quickly, and man did that work fast! we used clear garbage can liners, the bigger industrial sized ones, we doubled them up. we then hung them early in the morning to get some airflow and create that hard skin, and again sunk them once it started to heat up during the day, then would hang them at night. the meat tasted great and allowed us 5 days with day temps in mid 80's. im thinking panty hose for game bags, and those liner bags to sink meat in, vacu-sealed together with some p-cord rubber-gloves-chili powder in a baggie-etc would make a mighty fine, small-lightweight field dress kit to have in your pack with you! also used chili powder last year for first time b/c yellow jackets and bald face hornets are fierce where we hunt, worked AWESOME!!!
ChukarNUT

First Name: Brian

Postby cnelk » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I have lost track of how many elk we have pulled out of the woods over the years.
And no spoilage.
Meat spoilage is related to common sense.

Get the hide off
Hang it up in some shade
Don't get it wet
Debone when you can
Monitor it

Cool mountain nights and a shade with a breeze is about all you need.

Once you have elk meat hanging means you have some extra time on your hands.
Take advantage of that time and care for your meat
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby elkmtngear » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 16]

ChukarNUT wrote:elkmtngear-- do you prefer control top panty hose? sheer or opaque? 8-) sorry, had to go there!really though, ive heard using them before, or there any that are better or worse? durability-breathability-etc??

Brian, when I first got the idea to use them...I asked the girls in my office who makes the biggest panty hose they knew of. Answer= Just My Size (JMS) size 4X

If I can get them in white I like that best, because of heat reflective properties. Once these are stretched on (it's a good tight fit on a hindquarter), they are pretty breathable, but they still keep the bees and blowflies off.

First step,tie a knot at the top of one leg, then cut the leg off. The cut off leg is your loin/ neck meat/ rib meat bag. The remaining piece fits a quarter nice and snug.Roll them down toward the toe when bagging a quarter, then roll/ stretch them on toward the top (it seems to help if you say things like "c'mon honey, get your fat a$$ in there)! :lol:

4 pairs is perfect for a good size bull, and all 4 pairs squish down into a lightweight lump about the size of an apple (I vacuum pack it)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby ST52V » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers or insinuate there were nobody on this sight that could answer the op's questions. I spend countless hours on forums everyday to quench my thirst for elk knowledge and if I can help someone out I will. The more people read, think, and discuss a topic the better the chance they will remember the info when they need it. The thread on the other forum was started by Aron Snyder and when he state Lary Bartlet is an expert on this subject I take notice and so should every other hunter who needs the info. The use of citric acid is discussed in detail. Every time I see a newbe post on forums I send them to the 2 best forums out there. I wasted 1 year hunting out west without them. I didn't have a clue and try to help others so they don't make the same mistakes.
Lots of good info posted above. I was glad to see chili powder mentioned. I have read that tip several times and hope to use it this year. This sight is awesome!! ! Keep up the good work!!!
ST52V

Postby Indian Summer » 07 18, 2013 •  [Post 18]

http://www.indianvalleymeats.com/gamesaver.htm

Game Saver from Indian Valley Meats at the link is what Larry Bartlett and many Alaskans use. No powder or spray can help with cooling but this stuff has multiple benefits. It costs more to ship than buy. If anyone is going to order some let me know and maybe we can combine orders.

Paul you should check into getting some for the store.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Z Barebow » 07 18, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Here is where I picked up powdered citric acid. (I actually found it online, but bought it at local Swanson store once I found out they carried it)

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/now-food ... -4-oz-pwdr
Z Barebow

Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Yotkilr » 07 18, 2013 •  [Post 20]

This year will be my first backcountry hunt also. Looks like a lot of good info thanks guys.
Yotkilr

First Name: Shayne
Last Name: Vander Wal

Postby Njdiverdan » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Interesting that citric acid has been mentioned/ used as a spray. For those who have tried it, did you notice that as it dissolves in water that you get an endothermic reaction? Basically is get colder. Now you would have to pack in a lot of citric acid to cool down a whole elk but at least it's going in the right direction and it would aid in the cooling of the meat, plus the protection from bacteria that the acid would provide. I may have to look into getting a few pounds into camp this year to try.

-dan
Njdiverdan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Smith

Postby Harmy » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 22]

I found powdered Citric Acid last night at Whole Foods in their bulk spice section. Right there next to the cumin seeds. Made up a batch of sausage last night with the last of my elk meat and needed some fresh spices and there it was next to all the other fresh goodies I needed.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Z Barebow » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Harmy-Keep in mind there are different variations on Citric Acid. If you find it in the spice section, make sure it is not "Encapsulated" Citric acid. Encapsulated citric acid is used in sausage making. (I know as I make much of my own sausage). It is what gives sausage that "twang" EX Summer sausage. It takes heat to break down the encapsulation. (Obviously not what you are going to want for meat packing)

See example in link.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/14800encaps ... cacid.aspx
Z Barebow

Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby mtnmutt » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 24]

2 years ago, I bought food grade citric acid powder from Natural Groceries and never had an opportunity to use it. I knew I also needed buy the pH strips to test the meat after spraying: pH needs to be <5 pH to deter bacteria and bowflies. Your initial pH should be much lower. As you get closer to 24 hrs without re-spraying, it will start to be >5 pH.

Last year, I found this alternative to the IndianValleyMeats GameSaver. Wild Game Guardian who sells the capsules and roll up spray bottles.
http://www.wildgameguardian.com/WilD_Ga ... /Home.html

They do not appear to sell direct anymore, but you can get it from Lanthrop and Sons.
http://www.lathropandsons.com/socks-and ... rdian.html

I am going to try out my own homebrew on citric acid spray. The powder I have does not say Encapsulated, so I hope it is the right stuff.
mtnmutt

Postby Njdiverdan » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 25]

You should be able to tell relatively easily if it encapsulated or not by how easily it dissolves in water. Also, most encapsulated products will float in water where straight citric acid will sink.
Njdiverdan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Smith

Postby mtnmutt » 07 20, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Thank you Njdiverdan. I tried my Food Grade citric acid powder and it sank right away, so I am pretty sure it is non-encapsulated: NOW Healthy Foods Citric Acid 4 oz bottle.

I will first try 1 oz to 1 quart of water. Just need to pickup the pH strips. I may even try a gross experiment with ground beef on my next scouting trip to see what happens after spraying it. If the flies stay away then I am good to go.
mtnmutt

Postby Trophyhill » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 27]

In a perfect world I want my elk on the ground just before dark. Then I can get the work done and in game bags, moved away from the carcass, and hung overnight taking a load out immediately. The rest should cool enough and keep for the next 3 trips the following day.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Coveyleader » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Temps are something to worry about, but for me flies will give you more problems depending on the area. Keep in mind meat on the quarters cools slower, but is more resistant to flies and their eggs that soon become maggots. I will take an evening shot bull any day over morning to avoid bugs.
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis