Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Trail Cam in Place

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Trail Cam in Place

Postby POk3s » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I couldn't think of how weird it felt as I spent money on a trail cam, bought batteries, bought an SD card, bought gas, bought enough food and drink to get me through the day, and then left all that money sitting on a mountain in the middle of the mountains overlooking the head of a spring. Hopefully it doesn't get taken but placing a camera on public land....anything can happen. It's in a great spot I found last elk season. Even if I don't get any pictures, I just hope it's still there in a month!

It's an hour walk in and an hour walk out. I've only ever seen one guy in there that I know hunts it fairly hard (judging by the boot tracks), and I ran into him last year. We shared a story or two of successful and unsuccessful hunts at that particular spot and went our separate ways. He doesn't seem like the guy that would take it but any other yahoo that is willing to walk 2 miles from the road can! First time placing a trail cam.....let's see how it goes!
POk3s

Re: Trail Cam in Place

Postby GWH » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Good luck! I hope you get some great pictures. I have had cameras out since may, and have had a couple people on them but nobody has stole one yet.
GWH

Postby cnelk » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 3]

My buddy and I are going up on Saturday to retrieve/change SD cards on our cameras.
Its like Christmas! Not knowing what youre gonna get! :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Elkaddict » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Here in Arizona trail cams being stolen are a daily occurrence! I haven't had one stolen,yet. I live in a rural area, elk are common in the subdivision . A friend put a camera on a tank in his subdivision and it was gone in a week. I lock them in a box and hope for the best. An hour walk into yours should be pretty safe.
Elkaddict

First Name: Terry

Postby Swede » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 5]

The risk of your trail cam being stolen is part of the cost of hunting and scouting. I put out cheap cameras in the most vulnerable areas. Enjoy you hunt.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby POk3s » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I have two Primos Truth Cam 46 I picked up for cheap. Anybody know what the range on them in? My only real option was placing them kind of above the head of the spring. A ton of trails come together on both sides of this spot but everything necks down to this watering area/wallow. It opens up into a meadow also so my cam is probably 25 yards from the spring. Will it still trigger this far away??

It's also facing straight down one of the trails and probably 15-20 yards where the trails come together before the watering area. Tried to cover all my bases but we'll see. If anyone does walk down that trail my cam will be in plain site lol. Praying it works! I missed a 320" bull drinking out of that spot last september. Was going in there to set up for the evening and he was already there at 3 PM. He heard me coming and started to leave. Misjudged the yardage. Hoping I get some pics of him!
POk3s

Postby JimKirk » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 7]

if you are walking very far at all then I think your camera is most likely safe. I kept 8 cameras out on public land last year with no thefts. I think you could get pictures 50' out from your camera. the lens are quite wide angle.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby GWH » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I have a Truth Cam 46 and the range is incredible. Mine will easily pick up 25 yards. Maybe I just got lucky with it. The flash isn't great though so at night you might have some problems
GWH

Postby POk3s » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Yea it said 55 foot night range so I figured that would be a problem. Glad to hear it should pick that up during daylight hours though! I don't plan on checking it until the last week of August but I might get to antsy before then!
POk3s

Postby firementl23 » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I take screw in tree steps and place all my cameras about 10 ft up looking down. People in the woods are always looking strait ahead not up since I started doing this I have not had 1camera stolen and I have caught the guy next door on my lease a few times.
firementl23

First Name: david
Last Name: comiskey

Postby POk3s » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 11]

That's a great idea. Maybe when I go in and check the cams I will do just that.
POk3s