Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cow Elk Scent?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cow Elk Scent?

Postby N5J » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

For those who hunt elk from treestands, do you place cow elk urine around the area of your treestand as an attractant/cover scent? I'm sitting over a water hole this year and have been seeing several young bulls coming in drinking/standing in the water on my trail cam. I was thinking of placing cow elk urine in the loose dirt around the water to cover any scent and for them to smell so I can get a shot :D ...thoughts?

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Re: Cow Elk Scent?

Postby cnelk » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I wouldnt use anything different than the surrounding natural aromas.
You are relying the water hole for the attractant
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 3]

N5J: I don't use the stuff. In fact I don't use a pee bottle either. I urinate right out of my stand. No foolin. I have had the brush under my stand browsed shortly after I relieved myself on it. I have had bears come up under my stand where I had urinated. Guess what? I urinated on a bear too. Save your money and buy something useful.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby N5J » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thanks guys! The elk have been there pretty regular so I didn't want to do anything to run off all the elk. :lol: Hoping to get my first bull this year!

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby Bullnuts » 07 20, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I have a funny story having to do with cow elk urine and a set of borrowed camo coveralls. Maybe I'll tell it one day when I've had a couple drinks and the statute of limitations is up. :shock:
Bullnuts

Postby Lefty » 07 20, 2013 •  [Post 6]

cnelk wrote:I wouldnt use anything different than the surrounding natural aromas.
You are relying the water hole for the attractant

Ive been hunting out of a ground blind in the evenings at water. I have had cows and calves rubbing against my window opening,
had a bull blow snot on me sticking his nose into the blind
and the last ime I hunted without a shooting window a huge pair of bulls walked 18 yards across and down wind of me ( I had a window the nest trip)

I keep clean clean clean,.. maybe Im a freak.
all my gear is clean and stored in sage
Eat very little meat during the season
I shower with bacteria soaps,
drive in shorts, T shirt with the AC cranked to cool my body down.
change into hunting clothes 1/2 mile from my blind
I pee into a deep hole or a bottle if I need too
This year Im going to add zolite

However I do plan to dump a few oz of beaver caster and oils to musk up a new water hole If it doesnt work Ill move the water If I had elk urine I would add that too,.. but I wont use it during the season
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby flystrait » 07 22, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:N5J: I don't use the stuff. In fact I don't use a pee bottle either. I urinate right out of my stand. No foolin. I have had the brush under my stand browsed shortly after I relieved myself on it. I have had bears come up under my stand where I had urinated. Guess what? I urinated on a bear too. Save your money and buy something useful.

Now thats just down right FUNNY. I almost fell out my chair Swede! Peeing on the bear part...
flystrait