Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sno-parks?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sno-parks?

Postby Moose-head » 07 18, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I am investigating a new area for hunting elk (as well as other critters) and am curious as to how sno-parks in National forests will affect the animals in an area. Can I assume that the animals have been harassed by at least one bad apple and pushed to greener pastures, or is it a seasonal thing? Has the area around there been extensively scouted by snomobilers and I might be better off putting my energies elsewhere regardless of what might be there that looks good?
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Re: Sno-parks?

Postby Swede » 07 18, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I have not been around many sno parks, and it has been a long time since I was to any of them in the summer. There used to be plenty of elk near Anthony Lakes, near Baker City Oregon. John F. hunts in that country, so he might post. I would think the elk are still there. I would not hunt too close to the lodge, as there are probably folks hanging around there some, but you don't need to go far either.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Sno-parks?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 18, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I hunt one area in WA that has a huge snow-park. About the time the snowmobilers hit that area, the elk are (or have already moved) moving down out of the snow to the lower wintering ground on the XXX river. Each spring, after the snow melts, the same area is a significant calving area and when our state gave us the rut, the elk were there and singing, so for the area I'm familiar with, no... the snow park does not have a negative affect. I believe it's a matter of timing, and, dependent on the state you're referencing. In WA, again for the area I have hunted, it does not have a negative affect. The elk move out/down when the snow hits their bellies and they're back in the late spring/summer/fall.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ