Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Battle Rhythm

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Battle Rhythm

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 18, 2013 •  [Post 1]

So elknuts, how long does it take you to get your elk battle rhythm in full swing once that glorious day hits when you start your archery elk season? Physical conditioning preparation, calling practice, shooting your bow, pack contents/camping equipment checks, scouting either remotely or on foot, ensuring the home front is prepared for your absence, emplacing/checking trail cameras if you're fortunate to live close to the elk woods, finalizing placement of your tree stand(s) all have a bearing on your hunt but ultimately, your elk hunting battle rhythm in high gear mode is the deciding factor.

A. It takes me a few days of tuning in to the surroundings, elevation change, and encounters with elk to get tuned in.

B. If a bull comes into my calls the opening day, I would scare it away with my knees knocking and heavy breathing from lack of oxygen.

C. I can, and have, easily kill an elk opening morning. My battle rhythm is switched on and active the day I leave my house.

D. This a new game for me and will just see how I respond.

E. Other.

F. RJ is making me think way too much on a late Thursday night.. He must be a DoD Civilian on furlough ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Battle Rhythm

Postby Bullnuts » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I would pick C. It's weird but my hunt mode gets turned on in July and I start feeling it! By the middle of August I'm dreaming about elk hunting so on opening day I've already got 2 weeks or more of 'night hunting' under my belt!
Bullnuts

Postby mtnmutt » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 3]

F: my brain is fried because its Friday.
And
B: I just started doing my 2 days/week practice on 3D with nervous grunt and practicing breathing along with my visualization exercises. I will have a better more honest answer at 8 pm August 31st after a full day in the elk woods.
mtnmutt

Postby Harmy » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 4]

C. I could leave tomorrow and wrap it all up by evening. But that wouldn't be much fun now would it. Honestly though, the next 8 weeks will be torture.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Trophyhill » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 5]

A, my battle rhythm seems to match the mood of the elk and early season starts off slow
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby GWH » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I have to go with D because this is my first year, but I've already got some "night hunting" as Bullnuts said, under my belt.
GWH

Postby Swede » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 7]

c
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Bow4Elk » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 8]

It has to be C. Been looking over maps and aerial photos since last year. Talking with the guys about what we are going to do this year. Day dreaming every day. Last weekend I got the cook box out and cleaned it and everything in it. Washed all the towels and bedding again. Got the camo all put into duffel bags.Getting ready seems to take longer every year and I have to start earlier to be ready on time. Can't wait to hear the first bull singing to us. Good luck all.
Bow4Elk

First Name: Ron

Postby elkmtngear » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 9]

"C" with explanation

As the days progress (and hopefully encounters)...I become more and more "tuned in" to every nuance of what is going on in the elk woods. By the end of the hunt, I feel I have the ability to truly become both an elk, and a true predator, at the same time. All my senses are fine tuned, there is no hesitation when it comes to reaction.

Like a blade that needs a little honing, I enter the woods sharp, but I leave the woods scary sharp.

Can't wait until I am at this point! :)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby cnelk » 07 19, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Im ready to dance to the rhythm opening day.
I havent connected on opening day, but I have helped others tag out then.
I go up the weekend before opener and set up camp so its all set to roll in and screw on the broadheads...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Washington Wapiti » 07 20, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Sound the drums and pound my chest . . . when I hit the elkwoods in earnest I am locked in. I'm with Bullnuts, I put out my cams in June and by mid-July (usual first check), my battle rhythm has already kicked into high. By the time the opener rolls around, I'm ready to excecute all the fine details I've mentally gone over since the close of the previous year's late season. Here's where it pays to hunt an area you've spent years getting to know intimately . . . every feeding area, drainage, bermed spur, corridor, and how those magnificent critters are moving through that whole matrix. Piecing together the puzzle for me is every bit as satisifying, as bringing home the groceries. Man, I love that stuff . . .
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby OS hunter » 07 20, 2013 •  [Post 12]

B and D!! My goal is to just keep my knees from knocking too loud. :D
OS hunter

First Name: David
Last Name: Linton

Postby Elkaddict » 07 20, 2013 •  [Post 13]

C for sure, I've never killed a bull on opening day but will be ready to do it! I live in elk country and have been out looking around at least 4 days a week since April. I am ready to meet them head on and see what happens! Going to Alaska for a week of fishing, leaving in the morning. Then it's back to the cabin and counting the days.
Elkaddict

First Name: Terry

Postby Jaquomo » 07 20, 2013 •  [Post 14]

E. With a lot of time to hunt, I let the rhythm of the hunt develop and go with the flow. I'm mentally ready to kill one opening day, and have, but not ready to kill one until I've hunted for awhile unless it's a gagger. I enjoy elk hunting too much to end it too soon.

The good thing about the OTC units I hunt is that I carry an extra cow tag. So I can settle into the hunt and try to nuke a cow while figuring out the program.
Jaquomo

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 22, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I'd go with C. I'm ready right now! When we hit the woods we expect to put an elk down everytime out. Of course this comes with years of experience! (grin) Only a few short days left, I hope all are ready mentally & physically! Go getem RJ!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby planebow » 07 22, 2013 •  [Post 16]

C Have been waiting way to long since last season.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard